Checking in with your firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Checking in with your firm

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm a 1L at CCN with a SA at a firm in my home market this summer. Should I check in with them every once in a while just to stay in contact or just show up ready to work this summer?

They usually bring 1Ls back the next summer which is exactly what I want to do.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at CCN with a SA at a firm in my home market this summer. Should I check in with them every once in a while just to stay in contact or just show up ready to work this summer?

They usually bring 1Ls back the next summer which is exactly what I want to do.


An email saying hi and letting them know about whats going on in your academic life half way between your hiring and your summer ain't a bad idea.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:00 pm

They'll keep in contact with you. No need for you to do anything unless they ask you to.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:They'll keep in contact with you. No need for you to do anything unless they ask you to.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:18 am

What about letting your firm know that you have been published in Law Review (2L, BTW)?

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about letting your firm know that you have been published in Law Review (2L, BTW)?


Um, no, you have the offer for the summer and they won't offer you more money or magically upgrade it to a permanent offer so let them be and wait until you're there working to bother trying to show off to them how amazing you are.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:43 am

Just shut up until they e-mail you and ask you for something; and show up when you're asked to. Is it that hard or are you too busy grilling the ass burgers?????

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 am

Fresh Prince wrote:Just shut up until they e-mail you and ask you for something; and show up when you're asked to. Is it that hard or are you too busy grilling the ass burgers?????


I had a professor who I am still very good friends with tell me about his biglaw experience. As a first year, a partner called him one Saturday night and told him to be at the office at 8 or 9am on Sunday to help with a project. My professor reported to work and the partner told him to sit in his office and wait, as he had something for him. All day my professor sat there doing busywork at his desk, waiting for the important assignment. At 4:30 the partner walked in and handed him a one page letter he had written, telling him to proofread it and send it out Monday morning. When my professor asked why the partner had him come in on a Sunday and sit there for 8 hours to do a simple task that couldn't be completed until Monday, the partner said it was "because I can." OP needs to learn my professor's only error in this situation was asking why the partner had acted arbitrarily and abusive towards him. You do what they say to do, when they say to do it, and you don't complain or question them, no matter how stupid it is.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:37 am

I sometimes wonder what planet people on here are from. How can it be bad to stay in contact with the hiring partner assuming you don't go overboard?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:42 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What about letting your firm know that you have been published in Law Review (2L, BTW)?


Um, no, you have the offer for the summer and they won't offer you more money or magically upgrade it to a permanent offer so let them be and wait until you're there working to bother trying to show off to them how amazing you are.
oh god can you imagine getting this email as a recruiter? "well isn't that just precious. I bet your momma put it on her fridge and everything!"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:06 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Just shut up until they e-mail you and ask you for something; and show up when you're asked to. Is it that hard or are you too busy grilling the ass burgers?????


I had a professor who I am still very good friends with tell me about his biglaw experience. As a first year, a partner called him one Saturday night and told him to be at the office at 8 or 9am on Sunday to help with a project. My professor reported to work and the partner told him to sit in his office and wait, as he had something for him. All day my professor sat there doing busywork at his desk, waiting for the important assignment. At 4:30 the partner walked in and handed him a one page letter he had written, telling him to proofread it and send it out Monday morning. When my professor asked why the partner had him come in on a Sunday and sit there for 8 hours to do a simple task that couldn't be completed until Monday, the partner said it was "because I can." OP needs to learn my professor's only error in this situation was asking why the partner had acted arbitrarily and abusive towards him. You do what they say to do, when they say to do it, and you don't complain or question them, no matter how stupid it is.


I'm currently a junior biglaw associate, this is the most accurate description of biglaw I have read on this site. Shit like the above happens all the time.

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby seatown12 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:21 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Just shut up until they e-mail you and ask you for something; and show up when you're asked to. Is it that hard or are you too busy grilling the ass burgers?????

I had a professor who I am still very good friends with tell me about his biglaw experience. As a first year, a partner called him one Saturday night and told him to be at the office at 8 or 9am on Sunday to help with a project. My professor reported to work and the partner told him to sit in his office and wait, as he had something for him. All day my professor sat there doing busywork at his desk, waiting for the important assignment. At 4:30 the partner walked in and handed him a one page letter he had written, telling him to proofread it and send it out Monday morning. When my professor asked why the partner had him come in on a Sunday and sit there for 8 hours to do a simple task that couldn't be completed until Monday, the partner said it was "because I can." OP needs to learn my professor's only error in this situation was asking why the partner had acted arbitrarily and abusive towards him. You do what they say to do, when they say to do it, and you don't complain or question them, no matter how stupid it is.

lol

no idea whether the moral of this story is correct for biglaw but this is pathetic

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:27 pm

I've regularly stayed in contact with my hiring partner I interviewed with during the callback. He's helped me with study abroad questions, paper topics and even sponsored me to go to a firm's office in a foreign country. We email and talk on the phone regularly, and he even suggested that I have lunch with him and a few of his colleagues. If done correctly, it can really strengthen the professional relationship.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've regularly stayed in contact with my hiring partner I interviewed with during the callback. He's helped me with study abroad questions, paper topics and even sponsored me to go to a firm's office in a foreign country. We email and talk on the phone regularly, and he even suggested that I have lunch with him and a few of his colleagues. If done correctly, it can really strengthen the professional relationship.



Auto-admit to partnership track. Huzzah!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Checking in with your firm

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Just shut up until they e-mail you and ask you for something; and show up when you're asked to. Is it that hard or are you too busy grilling the ass burgers?????


I had a professor who I am still very good friends with tell me about his biglaw experience. As a first year, a partner called him one Saturday night and told him to be at the office at 8 or 9am on Sunday to help with a project. My professor reported to work and the partner told him to sit in his office and wait, as he had something for him. All day my professor sat there doing busywork at his desk, waiting for the important assignment. At 4:30 the partner walked in and handed him a one page letter he had written, telling him to proofread it and send it out Monday morning. When my professor asked why the partner had him come in on a Sunday and sit there for 8 hours to do a simple task that couldn't be completed until Monday, the partner said it was "because I can." OP needs to learn my professor's only error in this situation was asking why the partner had acted arbitrarily and abusive towards him. You do what they say to do, when they say to do it, and you don't complain or question them, no matter how stupid it is.


I'm currently a junior biglaw associate, this is the most accurate description of biglaw I have read on this site. Shit like the above happens all the time.


Things like this make me feel a little less inferior working in Detroit at a firm where assholes are screened out at the door. This shit never happens here, the culture doesn't tolerate it. Being a dick for the sake of being a dick is a dick thing to do, and nobody like dicks except whores. And if that is who you work for, that is who you will become. Lo, and your soul be foresaken for 160k.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.