Question on Law life

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Aviator

Question on Law life

Postby Aviator » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 pm

I just wanted others who worked in BigLaw to share their experiences. This may have been discussed to the nth degree, so I apologize in advance.

Can you describe a typical day if you've worked in Skadden, Crom, Jones, or any other such firms? What is it like really, from first hour in until you leave, and what kind of work are you doing?

How are your bosses like? What is the environment like every day?

Is there a lot of judgement on what you are doing? What do you like most, or least? Thanks..

NotMyRealName09

Re: Question on Law life

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Before someone more snide chimes in, try the search function.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Also, OP, I dare you to ask your question on autoadmit.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:12 am

I smoke medical marijuana and eat pizza.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:13 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:Also, OP, I dare you to ask your question on autoadmit.

Greetings brother.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:56 am

rad lulz wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Also, OP, I dare you to ask your question on autoadmit.

Greetings brother.

Don't you agree, brother?

OP, it'll go something like this:

600AM: wake up to bberry buzzing with 181616383937 emails from 8PM the night before
650AM: peel self out of bed to shower, JO, poop, eat bfast, exercise (lol if you have time), and dress self
8-830AM: head to work via subway with the proles
9-930AM: arrive at desk and contemplate killself
930-10AM: begin working on mindless task you were doing yesterday, e.g., doc review/proofing/diligence/etc.
12PM: break for lunch and eat it at your desk
1220PM: continue...
3PM: briefly meet with senior associate who yells at you for missing something he/she never told you to do in first place
315PM: get back into office and again contemplate killself...have coffee instead and back to task
8PM: order seamlessweb and eat dinner at desk like you did the night before
945-10PM: leave office and commute home...no prole mass this time, but subway is decidedly more spooky on a weeknight after 10PM...especially fragrant homeless man rolling around on the floor
11PM: arrive home...watch DVR'd episode of your favorite show, guzzle a few drinks, and cry
12PM: JO and go to bed, but just lie there because you're worried about tomorrow
2AM: finally nod off
6AM: repeat

Caveat: during the day to receive over 200 emails, 50 of which you respond to

Edit: throughout day, megapoast on xoxo

HTH

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 am

Interested in this as well.

I have used the search function and haven't turned up anything great on TLS or the greater interwebz. Appreciate the above schedule but would like to see one with less supes kewl forum l33tspeak (e.g., one without JO, killself, or the word jerb).

There is good content all over the web for "Day in the life of an I-Banking analyst". Surprised that Big Law associate isn't as easy to find.

Txrb182sc

Postby Txrb182sc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:47 am

Maybe they're all just so busy, Biglaw ya know?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 am

DaftAndDirect wrote:Interested in this as well.

I have used the search function and haven't turned up anything great on TLS or the greater interwebz. Appreciate the above schedule but would like to see one with less supes kewl forum l33tspeak (e.g., one without JO, killself, or the word jerb).

There is good content all over the web for "Day in the life of an I-Banking analyst". Surprised that Big Law associate isn't as easy to find.

TBH, you're not going to find more than one or two current associates on TLS. Further, I think this question actually belongs in the current students/grads forum. Sure, my poast ran rampant with sarcasm, but as a general skeleton, that's what your day is going to look like.

Biglaw is much like any other high-volume, high-stress (as an aside, the JO helps to mitigate this, :wink:) jerb: you get a shitload of emails (only a portion of which you need to respond...most you're CC'd because you're a group working on a case, deal, etc.), your superiors are generally busy and impatient (in my experience, many are generally nice/fun people, but at the office, shit needs to get done), the hours are long (this varies widely, depending upon lit/corp, work flow, etc., and many people are NOT cut out for them), and much of the work (speaking more on the junior level here) is boring. That's not to say you might get to work on a sweet case or deal - but most of your work is going to be: (a) checking someone else's work, (b) reviewing documents, or (c) a task that involves some sort of combination of (a) and (b). The idea, however, is to work toward contributing where needed, being on time, asking questions when appropriate, and not being a douche/assburger. That way, you get good reviews, and you don't get shitcanned after 3 years. The job isn't hard by any stretch - you just pay attention to detail and do what you're told (as other poasters ITT have intimated).

I'm not disparaging biglaw - in fact I enjoy it - but it's not some "omg im so preftigious and making a huge contribution as a 1st/2nd year associate in a case that, at most, is merely a blip on the client's radar." Thus, I stand by my poast above, although I didn't use the word killself (e.g. sarcasm) here.

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Stay out of the legal employment forum, 0L.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:39 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:

Stay out of the legal employment forum, 0L.

tyty

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Bumping defunct threads is barely different than starting your own.

Return to “Legal Employment”