Depressed 3L at MVP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Depressed 3L at MVP

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:26 pm

I'm a 3L at MVP, a bit below median, struck out at OCI because of grades and poor bidding.

I have a couple of public interest areas I'm interested in, but I've always wanted to work at a (big) firm. I've been trying to get a state court clerkship gig because nothing federal has worked out since I'm not competitive. Even the state court clerkships are not biting. I am also looking for public interest work and small/mid-size firms. I'm not even picky about location. I just feel really shitty and like and I can't even get the stupidest job out there.

I just keep blaming myself for not doing better and doing more in my job search. How can I motivate myself and stay positive?

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Depressed 3L at MVP

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L at MVP, a bit below median, struck out at OCI because of grades and poor bidding.

I have a couple of public interest areas I'm interested in, but I've always wanted to work at a (big) firm. I've been trying to get a state court clerkship gig because nothing federal has worked out since I'm not competitive. Even the state court clerkships are not biting. I am also looking for public interest work and small/mid-size firms. I'm not even picky about location. I just feel really shitty and like and I can't even get the stupidest job out there.

I just keep blaming myself for not doing better and doing more in my job search. How can I motivate myself and stay positive?


Wait until you pass the bar and then search for jobs. Focus on your grades for now.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Depressed 3L at MVP

Postby existenz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:01 am

Focus on grades and see if you can write a publishable note.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Depressed 3L at MVP

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:18 am

existenz wrote:Focus on grades and see if you can write a publishable note.


OP here. My grades this semester are not going to make much difference because it is only going to be a small fraction of my graded credits since I'm doing a clinic that is only partially graded. Publishing isn't a bad idea. I just feel like I have so much to juggle already with trying to find a job and doing this clinic (which has been pretty good in terms of getting courtroom experience).

User avatar
bizjunkie4
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Depressed 3L at MVP

Postby bizjunkie4 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
existenz wrote:Focus on grades and see if you can write a publishable note.


OP here. My grades this semester are not going to make much difference because it is only going to be a small fraction of my graded credits since I'm doing a clinic that is only partially graded. Publishing isn't a bad idea. I just feel like I have so much to juggle already with trying to find a job and doing this clinic (which has been pretty good in terms of getting courtroom experience).


Why don't you ditch the big law dream and focus on something that will be rewarding, like being a litigator for plaintiffs at a smaller firm. You can make just as much money (if you're really good), work fewer hours, and not be in the partner rat race.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Depressed 3L at MVP

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:12 pm

I ask this as a depressed 2L at MVP who is well on my way towards being a depressed 3L: What did you end up doing last summer after striking out at OCI?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Depressed 3L at MVP

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I ask this as a depressed 2L at MVP who is well on my way towards being a depressed 3L: What did you end up doing last summer after striking out at OCI?



I am interested too. Any law firm experience of any sort?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Depressed 3L at MVP

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I ask this as a depressed 2L at MVP who is well on my way towards being a depressed 3L: What did you end up doing last summer after striking out at OCI?



I am interested too. Any law firm experience of any sort?


OP here.

Unfortunately I was unable to get private law firm experience. I think part of that was my attempt to get into a relatively insular market. At the same time, this market was the only place I had any ties to. I ended up working in that market but for a state government agency and a public interest law firm. I wanted to get transactional experience. But as it turned out, I got very little experience at all even though I asked for it. I also got very little feedback from the attorneys at either job. It was a really shitty summer because I barely had any opportunity to improve my lawyering skills. I had no mentoring.

I have always wanted to work for a big firm, but I am quite open to other options. My main hesitancy is that I do not want to get blindsided again and find myself in a situation where I cannot develop my abilities practically to become the good lawyer I know I can become. I know a lot of what happens at bigger firms involves you paying your dues, but you still get a great foundation and experience that is respected if you want to do something else later on. Basically I am terrified of not being able to put my good education to good use.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I am not so particular about location after my experience in my target market. I am now applying much more broadly, but as I found when I applied elsewhere for summer jobs, a lack of ties to an area seems to hurt my chances.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Depressed 3L at MVP

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:49 am

i wish i could help OP, but i'm in a similar situation. 3L grades are not worth a damn. my grades improved dramatically after 1L (now #9 at a T30), and i'm jerbless. the rank just makes it embarrassing...

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Depressed 3L at MVP

Postby rbgrocio » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L at MVP, a bit below median, struck out at OCI because of grades and poor bidding.

I have a couple of public interest areas I'm interested in, but I've always wanted to work at a (big) firm. I've been trying to get a state court clerkship gig because nothing federal has worked out since I'm not competitive. Even the state court clerkships are not biting. I am also looking for public interest work and small/mid-size firms. I'm not even picky about location. I just feel really shitty and like and I can't even get the stupidest job out there.

I just keep blaming myself for not doing better and doing more in my job search. How can I motivate myself and stay positive?


Wait until you pass the bar and then search for jobs. Focus on your grades for now.



I personally disagree on the waiting until you pass the bar. I think that finding a job takes a while, and if you are unemployed 6 months, or a year after passing the bar, it is just going to be that much more difficult to find a job. Just my two cents!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.