Significant Grade Drop.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Re: Significant Grade Drop.

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:50 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:maintaining grades and dropping as hard as OP did are two very different things. also, have to factor in cold offers which do happen and are even more likely to not be shared publicly.

(1) I'm sure a significant portion of the hundreds of law students in the V10 who received offers suffered a grade drop.

(2) Very few no offers if any in the V10.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:54 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:i'd be very worried, of course. TLS has this myth that grades don't matter because firms invest too much in you, don't care, etc., but that is significantly flawed with survivor bias (people rarely report they get no offered b/c of stigma).

Link to source stating that any summer associate at any law firm ever has been no offered exclusively because of a drop in grades 2l year. Thx.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:59 am

cause a firms really gonna say we no offered you to grades AND that person is going to report to a "source" saying i got no offered because of my grades AND that is going to be published. just LMAO. keep pretending it doesn't happen if its what helps ya sleep

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:07 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:cause a firms really gonna say we no offered you to grades AND that person is going to report to a "source" saying i got no offered because of my grades AND that is going to be published. just LMAO. keep pretending it doesn't happen if its what helps ya sleep

Again, math just isn't on your side.

Also, I'm a law firm associate, so I really don't have a horse in this race moron.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:21 am

Any V20 known to no offer or cold offer alot? Except gdc since that is a myth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:17 am

3L here. Summered at a V20 last summer. GPA dropped from 3.6 to 3.2-3.3 2L year. Still got an offer, as did everyone in my summer class (and as far as I know, no cold offers). I wouldn't worry about it too much. The firm is going to care about your attitude/work product more than grades, and as long you produce good work, the grades won't be as important. That being said, I still wouldn't screw up to the point of getting C's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L here. Summered at a V20 last summer. GPA dropped from 3.6 to 3.2-3.3 2L year. Still got an offer, as did everyone in my summer class (and as far as I know, no cold offers). I wouldn't worry about it too much. The firm is going to care about your attitude/work product more than grades, and as long you produce good work, the grades won't be as important. That being said, I still wouldn't screw up to the point of getting C's.

Do you mind saying what range of school you go to? And did they ask for transcript/grades?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:50 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:15 pm

my firm and i think most firms don't ask for any 2l grades until the summer. if you had a bad first semester and are really freaking out (despite the fact that it probably doesn't matter), i would calm down and try to have a good semester

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L here. Summered at a V20 last summer. GPA dropped from 3.6 to 3.2-3.3 2L year. Still got an offer, as did everyone in my summer class (and as far as I know, no cold offers). I wouldn't worry about it too much. The firm is going to care about your attitude/work product more than grades, and as long you produce good work, the grades won't be as important. That being said, I still wouldn't screw up to the point of getting C's.

Do you mind saying what range of school you go to? And did they ask for transcript/grades?

Top 20 school, and yes, they asked for a transcript at the end of the summer before offers went out.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:11 am

rad lulz wrote:The GDC defenders ITT don't really understand memes apparently.

Or maybe it's difficult to tell who's meme-ing and who isn't. Not everyone here is an internet nerd/basement dwelling virgin.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 am

Fresh Prince wrote:Not everyone here is an internet nerd/basement dwelling virgin.

So you're new to the website I see. Welcome.

Return to “Legal Employment”