Seattle?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Seattle?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can speak to this question:

I'm at MVP, and I'm thinking of going for Seattle at OCI. I have no connections. Could good grades make that better? If so, about what class percentage would I need?

Cavalier

Re: Seattle?

Postby Cavalier » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Without connections you're unlikely to land a summer associate position in Seattle.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Cavalier wrote:Without connections you're unlikely to land a summer associate position in Seattle.

This. I wouldn't waste your bids on it.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Eh, depending on how good your grades are, maybe bid mainly on NYC and throw in a few Seattle bids for fun, but yeah, don't expect anything.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm wondering if anyone can speak to this question:

I'm at MVP, and I'm thinking of going for Seattle at OCI. I have no connections. Could good grades make that better? If so, about what class percentage would I need?

I imagine it would be hard, even with good grades. I am just guessing, but it seems like good grades can convince someone that you want to do something specific. It's probably easier to work for a top firm doing X with good grades because you can justify your desire to do X as the reason you want to work at that firm. I am imagining someone who is top ranked at a T14 who says they want to do entertainment law but has no Socal connections might still be able to land an SA gig because of a strong desire to do something which is specific to LA.

Seattle has very few industries that it can claim a strong connection to(none? maybe aerospace, but that's really niche). The top firms are all generalist who serve local businesses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:36 am

Does anyone have any info on how hard it is to lateral into Seattle as a junior associate?

JIsaacSmith

Postby JIsaacSmith » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:32 pm

bdubs wrote:Seattle has very few industries that it can claim a strong connection to(none? maybe aerospace, but that's really niche). The top firms are all generalist who serve local businesses.

Tech (Microsoft, Amazon, Google); Food Service Industry (Starbucks); Aerospace (Boeing)

IMO, Seattle is a haven for industry and there are several well-established businesses whose central hub is in the Northwest. Expedia, Zillow, and REAL Networks are just a few others.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm

JIsaacSmith wrote:
bdubs wrote:Seattle has very few industries that it can claim a strong connection to(none? maybe aerospace, but that's really niche). The top firms are all generalist who serve local businesses.

Tech (Microsoft, Amazon, Google); Food Service Industry (Starbucks); Aerospace (Boeing)

IMO, Seattle is a haven for industry and there are several well-established businesses whose central hub is in the Northwest. Expedia, Zillow, and REAL Networks are just a few others.

None of those industries are primarily in the PNW or Seattle. It's not like finance in NYC, entertainment in LA, energy in Houston, or technology/new ventures in SF/SV. Each of those cities/areas can claim to be the center of an industry and has specific law firms and practices that cater exclusively to those industries. Like I said, the only thing that Seattle might arguably have a niche in is aerospace, but now that Boeing's technical HQ is in Chicago that is not even a strong argument.

Return to “Legal Employment”