Prestigious Litigation Boutiques

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Prestigious Litigation Boutiques

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Can anyone provide information on the hiring criteria for the top litigation boutiques (for lack of a better metric, as ranked by Vault? e.g. Susman, Bartlett, Keker, Kellogg, Morvillo etc.?). Obviously federal clerkships seem to be an explicit or implied prerequisite, but I'm curious if people have information on informal cutoffs for gpa/class rank, school rank, work experience, or other factors?

InnocuousDiatribe

Re: Prestigious Litigation Boutiques

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm fairly certain that there are threads on this very topic. Here's one: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=177086

Punch this into google to find more: "litigation boutiques site:top-law-schools.com"

Also, here's a Susman interview you might find interesting: http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecare ... an-qa.html

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:18 pm

From the limited exposure I've had, it seems that boutique lit firms place more emphasis on federal clerkships and law review ed board than biglaw does.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:19 pm

That thread is more about big firms that have a strong reputation or devotion to litigation (i.e. Quinn, Boies) , but doesn't seem to really address the boutiques and I haven't seen a thread that really does so adequately in my opinion. I'm more curious in gathering info about these firms which seem to hire not from a summer SA program, but more typically hire graduating 3Ls or clerks or laterals. Thank you for the interview link though.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Pretty sure you don't even apply to Bartlett Beck, you just get recruited.

chiwachiwa

Postby chiwachiwa » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:26 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm more curious in gathering info about these firms which seem to hire not from a summer SA program, but more typically hire graduating 3Ls or clerks or laterals.

Keker has a summer program and they hire students out of it. I do not know their exact grades, but apparently people who got Keker jobs from my school were top 5% types. Also on law review. Clerkships are also apparently not required, I think most people who work there just end up doing one anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Keker has a summer program and they hire students out of it. I do not know their exact grades, but apparently people who got Keker jobs from my school were top 5% types.

It is a very small summer program. Usually they take 1-2 from Berkeley (they took this year's and last year's CLR EIC's) and a couple of others from HYS (and maybe 1 Chicago?).

And it is usually more like top 1-3% from what I understand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:18 pm

kalvano wrote:Pretty sure you don't even apply to Bartlett Beck, you just get recruited.

Yep. They don't attend any OCIs. I know at H, they asked some students to forward emails including details on small information sessions for those interested in litigation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:06 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Kellogg has hired SAs in the past; not sure if they still do so. Also, I think it is quite easy to get an understanding of their requirements by reviewing associate bios.

Kellogg hires SAs, there's just no expectation of a permanent offer, and clerking after LS is expected if one wants to eventually come back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:20 pm

Base pay at Kellogg is same as other DC firms; only the bonuses are higher.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:40 pm

I can't really figure out what the deal is with Kellogg Huber. They have a reputation as being very prestigious, but their caseload is sort of strange and I can't figure out what their "hook" is. They don't seem to specialize necessarily in trial or appellate work, nor do they seem to have a particular industry or legal focus. What exactly do they do?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Keker has a summer program and they hire students out of it. I do not know their exact grades, but apparently people who got Keker jobs from my school were top 5% types.

It is a very small summer program. Usually they take 1-2 from Berkeley (they took this year's and last year's CLR EIC's) and a couple of others from HYS (and maybe 1 Chicago?).

And it is usually more like top 1-3% from what I understand.

Also something like 95% of their staff have clerked, so I think it is close to being required. I think you'd be a little worried about getting an offer if you showed up there for the summer and let them know you weren't applying to clerk. They like District Ct clerkships though.

Return to “Legal Employment”