What Would You Choose?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What Would You Choose?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Anon because based on a true story.

Option 1: Associate Midlaw. Low 6 figures + extremely generous benefits. 1900-2000 hours.

Option 2: Associate Smallaw (5-50 people). 85-105k Depending on personal (business generated if any) and firm (gross) performance. No benefits. No billable requirement but workload would likely be similar to a firm with 1800 expected. Instant management responsibility, decent chance of taking over the firm some day. Firm is quite profitable.

I ask for teh thoughts of teh interwebz in this matter.

Anonymous User

Re: What Would You Choose?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon because based on a true story.

Option 1: Associate Midlaw. Low 6 figures + extremely generous benefits. 1900-2000 hours.

Option 2: Associate Smallaw (5-50 people). 85-105k Depending on personal (business generated if any) and firm (gross) performance. No benefits. No billable requirement but workload would likely be similar to a firm with 1800 expected. Instant management responsibility, decent chance of taking over the firm some day. Firm is quite profitable.

If it wasnt for "no benefits" I would totally go for option 2, personally.

As for what you want, how important is money to you? From the way you wrote, it sounds like number 2 is what you are more psyched about.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Depending on area of practice, larger firm may equal greator potentional to attract clients. And *starting* (I'm assuming you aren't already practicing) at a firm where salary is in part based on eating what you kill, you could find yourself unemployed quickly, because it is difficult to build a book of business when you haven't, you know, practiced law yet.

Go midlaw, get experience, and if you hate it, lateral over.

jkay

Postby jkay » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Option 2: Associate Smallaw (5-50 people)...Instant management responsibility, decent chance of taking over the firm some day.

If 5 people = Dad's firm, then I might believe there is a decent chance of taking over the firm someday.

If the firm really has 50 people, there is no way you are getting any management responsibility and little likelihood of any future guarantee.

TL;DR: 5 != 50. 50 is not really "smallaw."

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anon because based on a true story.

Need more info honestly. What is the small firm? A family firm? And 5 and 50 are world's apart.

Any chance of starting at 1 and lateraling to 2?

Return to “Legal Employment”