Clerkship Bonuses: share what you know!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship Bonuses: share what you know!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:20 pm

My sense is that the average COA clerkship bonus is 50k. The average for Fed. Cir. clerks is 70k.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My sense is that the average COA clerkship bonus is 50k. The average for Fed. Cir. clerks is 70k.

Wow I hadn't heard Fed. Cir. is a higher bonus. Isn't Fed. Cir. hiring less selective than 2/9/DC?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My sense is that the average COA clerkship bonus is 50k. The average for Fed. Cir. clerks is 70k.

Wow I hadn't heard Fed. Cir. is a higher bonus. Isn't Fed. Cir. hiring less selective than 2/9/DC?

Bonuses aren't based on the selectivity of the judge's hiring. Bonuses are based on the perceived skill set that the clerks bring. If some firms believe that fed circuit clerks bring a more unique and valuable skill set (as I'm sure they do for patent litigation), then firms will pay a premium for those clerks.

ETA - I have no idea about the actual bonuses for fed circuit clerks, rather refuting the "selectivity" theory.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:49 pm

I don't think bankruptcy court clerks ever get bonuses. :cry:

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:39 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bonuses aren't based on the selectivity of the judge's hiring. Bonuses are based on the perceived skill set that the clerks bring. If some firms believe that fed circuit clerks bring a more unique and valuable skill set (as I'm sure they do for patent litigation), then firms will pay a premium for those clerks.

ETA - I have no idea about the actual bonuses for fed circuit clerks, rather refuting the "selectivity" theory.

Bonuses are set by the market. Most Fed. Cir. clerks have worked at a firm for a few years before their clerkships. Thus, they must forego 200kish of income rather than 160k to take the clerkship. Firms want people who have done Fed. Cir. clerkships, so they have to offer bigger bonuses to entice Fed. Cir. clerks. I cannot confirm or deny these rumors, but to me, they make sense.

vacate123

Postby vacate123 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:10 am

ummmmmmm.... There are no skills one picks up at the fed cir.. No demand for em either

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:ummmmmmm.... There are no skills one picks up at the fed cir.. No demand for em either

elite IP litigator bro!

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:30 am

Paul, Weiss lawyers who join the firm directly after completing a judicial clerkship will receive a bonus of $50,000. Individuals who have completed a clerkship of two years or more, or have completed two or more years of clerkships, will receive a $70,000 bonus.

From their website. Stumbled across it and thought it might be somewhat useful for this thread.

baherber

Postby baherber » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ummmmmmm.... There are no skills one picks up at the fed cir.. No demand for em either

Incorrect and not helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Covington pays $50k for any federal or state supreme clerkship. (Isn't this pretty much the standard?)

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:28 pm

baherber wrote:

Incorrect and not helpful.

Also, an inappropriate use of the "Anon" feature... which has since been corrected.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Are clerkship bonuses at a NY V5 the same for 1-year state supreme court versus federal district court?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are clerkship bonuses at a NY V5 the same for 1-year state supreme court versus federal district court?

This info is generally provided by your firm and often available on their websites (i.e. the Paul Weiss post above, see also SullCrom). I know during my research of firms that while the 50k number for 1 year, and 70k for two years seemed pretty standard for the top firms, they did vary on whether those bonuses were offered for fed district/coa + ssc or only for federal dist/coa.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think bankruptcy court clerks ever get bonuses. :cry:

Really? I would think that strong bankr. firms would pay for this; not even Weil or K&E?

peter2009

Postby peter2009 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't think bankruptcy court clerks ever get bonuses. :cry:

Really? I would think that strong bankr. firms would pay for this; not even Weil or K&E?

I thought big firms gave bonuses for bankruptcy clerkships, especially if they give them out for state supreme court clerkships?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:29 am

peter2009 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I thought big firms gave bonuses for bankruptcy clerkships, especially if they give them out for state supreme court clerkships?

Did some superficial googling and it looks like at least Milbank and Kramer Levin pay out for bankruptcy clerkships. They both have strong bankruptcy practices. Maybe firms do a case-by-case determination to make sure they're in relevant circuits?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:06 pm

anyone know what ropes & gray offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:06 pm

what about jenner & block?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are clerkship bonuses at a NY V5 the same for 1-year state supreme court versus federal district court?

I'm an SSC and our ex-clerks have all gotten market at firms up and down the Vault. For most firms, the bonus is the same (including V5), but there are a few outliers that seem to be adverse to SSC's for whatever reason. Quinn makes it very clear on their website that the bonus is federal clerks only, as a consequence I can't think of a single ex-clerk who went there (--LinkRemoved--).

Return to “Legal Employment”