MVP student (1L) wants to work in SoCal, no ties

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MVP student (1L) wants to work in SoCal, no ties

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:33 pm

I know this is a little early, and every case is different, but I want to hear some opinion on if I have a chance at landing a 2L SA at the LA area and maybe some suggestion on how I can improve my chance.

I finished at top 15% my first semester, but I don't know if I can do better the second semester or even keep the same grades. I would like to work in LA because eventually I want to do entertainment law. I know this is a really hard field to get into, so I'm prepared to (and I want to) work in other areas first to develop my skills (I mainly want to do transactional law). But I figured if I can get a job in LA post-graduation, then I would have a better chance of eventually getting into the entertainment law field.

I don't have any personal ties to the SoCal area except for one distant relative who works in a small movie distribution company. I applied to a lot of places for my 1L summer job. I didn't hear anything back from the places in LA, and I just accepted a judicial internship at another city in another part of the country. The judge told me I can split my summer if I find something else.

I guess my question is: if I don't find something in LA this summer, do I basically have no chance of getting a job there my 2L summer? Would a better grade be helpful?

Any opinion is greatly appreciated!

shoeshine

Re: MVP student (1L) wants to work in SoCal, no ties

Postby shoeshine » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:37 am

LA is tough without ties. I would definitely bid on more than LA if I were you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:58 am

This past OCI at Boalt, top third appeared to have no problems landing SAs in LA without ties. Anyone in the top 15% would have multiple offers from top firms in LA, with or without ties. I think ties to SoCal (and other soft factors) came into play when the student was near or below median.

Compared to MVP, It's probably easier to land LA big law SA gigs out of B. Still, I can't believe the difference would be that great. If you keep your grades up, and if you express genuine interest in working in LA, I'd be surprised if you didn't get some offers.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:03 am

Why SoCal?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:04 am

IAFG wrote:Why SoCal?

Entertainment lawl

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:07 am

rad lulz wrote:

Entertainment lawl

Lazy RC.

This kid sounds boned.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:09 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:16 am

rad lulz wrote:
IAFG wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Entertainment lawl

Lazy RC.

This kid sounds boned.

Yeah, he probably won't do it, but if "boned" is just a normal SA in NYC or LA, he should be okay.

You forget that being a lawyer is shitty.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:17 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:20 am

rad lulz wrote:
IAFG wrote:You forget that being a lawyer is shitty.

In that case, yup, boned.

Also what's up with all the 1LOLs asking for bidding advice without half their grades

I think the only thing we can tell them is, "get that 1L summer gig in your target market." Which OP seems to realize he should work on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:01 pm

rad lulz wrote:
IAFG wrote:You forget that being a lawyer is shitty.

In that case, yup, boned.

Also what's up with all the 1LOLs asking for bidding advice without half their grades

This is how much this "bone" knows about SoCal and giving such advice...Low T-14 student here with no ties to SoCal whatsoever and top 25% after 1 semester....just got Big Law 1L SA position in LA--but according to this schmuck I wouldn't even be able to dream of getting one as a 2L---best advice--dont listen to these hacks sitting in the back of class without a clue what they are talking about---if you want it go for it....

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is how much this "bone" knows about SoCal and giving such advice...Low T-14 student here with no ties to SoCal whatsoever and top 25% after 1 semester....just got Big Law 1L SA position in LA--but according to this schmuck I wouldn't even be able to dream of getting one as a 2L---best advice--dont listen to these hacks sitting in the back of class without a clue what they are talking about---if you want it go for it....

Dude, I don't think anyone's saying "don't try", but, hell, I want to be on Jeopardy! a whole freaking lot, and I sure as hell am going for it, but I'm not counting on it. I have back-up plans.

... Like Lingo...

Also, cool story bro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:17 pm

It's possible, I got biglaw SoCal just above median at T14 w/ no ties.

Return to “Legal Employment”