2L: FedGov vs County Atty (pay vs. prestige/location)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L: FedGov vs County Atty (pay vs. prestige/location)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 pm

For 2L summer, which of these would you pick and why: regional office of a federal agency or a county attorney's office? The former is in a city where I would like to end up after graduation, but the position is unpaid. The latter is in the same city as my law school, is paid, and usually keeps clerks on part-time during 3L. Neither, however, has any chance of post-grad employment.

Some other factors to consider:
- I have no desire whatsoever to stay in the city where I go to school after graduation
- County attorney's office will let me do some transactional work, which is what I would like to pursue after graduation
- Agency will not involve any transactional work, but several of their attorneys come from big firms in town that do transactional work

TYIA! I will gladly answer any questions that may influence your responses.

tl;dr: Will networking possibilities and a slightly more prestigious-sounding resume line outweigh an unpaid internship during 2L summer? Or is it better to gain experience relevant to my interests, and paid, even though it's in a city I want to leave asap after graduation?

Anonymous User

Re: 2L: FedGov vs County Atty (pay vs. prestige/location)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:36 am

Bump. Have to make a decision soon. Any thoughts are appreciated. Leaning towards the federal agency mainly for location's sake.

lbg0125

Re: 2L: FedGov vs County Atty (pay vs. prestige/location)

Postby lbg0125 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Have to make a decision soon. Any thoughts are appreciated. Leaning towards the federal agency mainly for location's sake.

I'd say stick with location you want for the networking opportunities.

Return to “Legal Employment”