grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby target » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:13 pm

I have a few friends who are all patent bar eligible, but their last semester's grades are not that good (two below median at T30, one at median). They asked me whether they should sign up for the fair. I am not sure what to say to them, so hope some former PLIP attendees will help me out.

Do you think it is worthy for them to sign up if they are below median at a T30? What if they can bring their grades back to median after next semester?

Thanks y'all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:20 pm

it's all pre-select so why would they get in their own way and not sign up? Firms will reject you plenty, no need to reject yourself on their behalf.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Yes, they should sign up.

A large portion of the firms there are recruiting for patent prosecution (which is the field that requires the patent bar). Lots of those firms don't care too much about your law school credentials.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:05 pm

I agree with what has been said here. I was just above median at a T50 school, applied, and got 4 interviews with really good firms.

More important than your 1L grades are (in no particular order) your UG degree, any advanced degrees, relevant/insightful WE, and whether you have passed the patent bar. Some firms indicate that they are looking for specific scientific backgrounds, so make sure to give these places extra consideration if you fit the bill. I have 2 years of solid engineering WE and a masters degree.

Since you only get to submit a resume (no writing sample, transcript, etc...), let it reflect/highlight your best qualities (see above) that would separate you from a T14 student with above median grades but no WE, no patent bar, or no advanced degrees to show for themselves. GPA only takes up one small line. You can still be an attractive candidate even without top-notch grades.

Good luck!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:10 pm

target wrote:I have a few friends who are all patent bar eligible, but their last semester's grades are not that good (two below median at T30, one at median). They asked me whether they should sign up for the fair. I am not sure what to say to them, so hope some former PLIP attendees will help me out.

Do you think it is worthy for them to sign up if they are below median at a T30? What if they can bring their grades back to median after next semester?

Thanks y'all.


Your friend shows such little drive to get a job that he will end up unemployed. Registration is either free or 35 bucks. He would be retarded to not apply.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:More important than your 1L grades are (in no particular order) your UG degree, any advanced degrees, relevant/insightful WE, and whether you have passed the patent bar.


Maybe at patent boutiques but GP firms mostly want your 1L grades.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby target » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks all. I will pass whatever you said here to them.

Desert Fox wrote:Your friend shows such little drive to get a job that he will end up unemployed. Registration is either free or 35 bucks. He would be retarded to not apply.


They are pretty down and stressful after grades came out, so I steer clear of the tough love mentality.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby target » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:00 pm

Pump this thread for some more advice and another question. From experience, would you recommend someone with low law school grades to take and (hopefully) pass the patent bar before the fair?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:06 pm

target wrote:Pump this thread for some more advice and another question. From experience, would you recommend someone with low law school grades to take and (hopefully) pass the patent bar before the fair?


Nobody ever asked why I didn't take it. I'm skeptical that anyone really cares if you have done it yet. Why would they? Only an idiot can't pass it. I think being eligible is the key point.

That said I have no real knowledge on the matter. But most people who say it matters don't have any hard facts either.

zzzzzzzzzz
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby zzzzzzzzzz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
target wrote:Pump this thread for some more advice and another question. From experience, would you recommend someone with low law school grades to take and (hopefully) pass the patent bar before the fair?


Nobody ever asked why I didn't take it. I'm skeptical that anyone really cares if you have done it yet. Why would they? Only an idiot can't pass it. I think being eligible is the key point.

That said I have no real knowledge on the matter. But most people who say it matters don't have any hard facts either.


I had one interview where the first question I was asked when I sat down was what my reg # was. I told him I hadn't taken the patent bar, and basically the interview was over. This only happened once out of a lot of interviews, but since it clearly disqualified me from that job, it certainly doesn't hurt for you to have passed the patent bar. (And sorry, I don't remember which firm).

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby target » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:06 pm

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
I had one interview where the first question I was asked when I sat down was what my reg # was. I told him I hadn't taken the patent bar, and basically the interview was over. This only happened once out of a lot of interviews, but since it clearly disqualified me from that job, it certainly doesn't hurt for you to have passed the patent bar. (And sorry, I don't remember which firm).


Do you mind sharing whether your background is more suitable for prosecution or for litigation? Also, were you a rising 2L or rising 3L when that happened?

azntwice
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby azntwice » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:21 pm

i think it's totally worth it to take the patent bar for a couple reasons. 1) the patent bar exam will probably change very soon because of the AIA. 2) it gets your foot in the door at a lot of places. sure no one will ask if you haven't taken it, but it's a great indicator that you're serious about IP (even if you're not) and instantly gives you credibility. it's somewhat expensive ($500 for exam and registration costs alone) but think about it as an investment toward a biglaw job.

Emu Flu
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby Emu Flu » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:37 pm

I was asked about whether I had my registration # (I didn't), but it didn't seem like it was a negative thing. Many of my interviewers said that they recommended that I wait when I told them I was currently studying for it.

However, I think it may be useful if you're interested in patent prosecution and you don't really have a compelling story or experience in the area. There seems to be a presumption that most people, particularly those who are even the least bit talkative, won't like patent prosecution. I imagine having the patent bar credential will help to rebut it.

zzzzzzzzzz
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby zzzzzzzzzz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:38 pm

target wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
I had one interview where the first question I was asked when I sat down was what my reg # was. I told him I hadn't taken the patent bar, and basically the interview was over. This only happened once out of a lot of interviews, but since it clearly disqualified me from that job, it certainly doesn't hurt for you to have passed the patent bar. (And sorry, I don't remember which firm).


Do you mind sharing whether your background is more suitable for prosecution or for litigation? Also, were you a rising 2L or rising 3L when that happened?


I was a rising 2L, and my background is BS EE. I suppose you could call that more suited for pros but it's certainly not a minus for lit.

User avatar
yeast master
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby yeast master » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:55 pm

target wrote:Pump this thread for some more advice and another question. From experience, would you recommend someone with low law school grades to take and (hopefully) pass the patent bar before the fair?


I agree with those above who said it's a good thing to have passed the patent bar. But I think the time investment may not be worth it during 1L year. Grades should be priority #1. Some people may be able to do both without sacrificing grades, but I don't think I could have.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:58 pm

I had 18 interviews at the patent fair. None asked for a number. Only 1 even mentioned it, and it was basically just asking when I planned on taking it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:45 pm

seems like a lot of knowledgeable, patent law focused students in this thread so I hope the OP won't mind me thread-jacking, but would someone with a B.S. in Biology with no W/E have a chance at the patent fair? or even patent law in general?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:seems like a lot of knowledgeable, patent law focused students in this thread so I hope the OP won't mind me thread-jacking, but would someone with a B.S. in Biology with no W/E have a chance at the patent fair? or even patent law in general?


I'd definitely register, but I got a shit ton of interviews withe mediocre grades and a BSEE and my buddy got 2 with V5 grades and a BS Bio. I think it really really hurts. But hey, those were two free interviews he got.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby target » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:seems like a lot of knowledgeable, patent law focused students in this thread so I hope the OP won't mind me thread-jacking, but would someone with a B.S. in Biology with no W/E have a chance at the patent fair? or even patent law in general?


I'd definitely register, but I got a shit ton of interviews withe mediocre grades and a BSEE and my buddy got 2 with V5 grades and a BS Bio. I think it really really hurts. But hey, those were two free interviews he got.


do you know if you buddy's two interviews are with GP firms or with boutique firms?

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby Agent » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm skeptical that anyone really cares if you have done it yet. Why would they? Only an idiot can't pass it. I think being eligible is the key point.

That said I have no real knowledge on the matter. But most people who say it matters don't have any hard facts either.


1. Having a registration number seemed very helpful to me. Almost every partner interviewer brought it up. Most beamed as they mentioned it; it's an easy and pleasant way to advance the interview.

2. Partners and recruiting staff seemed to interpret my registration number as evidence that I'm a go-getter. They also seemed to like knowing that it's already out of the way. Some incoming associates take and pass the patent bar before starting at the firm, but many (perhaps most) do not. Many of my associate interviewers (not just first-years) had not yet taken and passed the exam. I assume that they're not billing hours while they study. I think it's safe to assume that partners care.

3. Many intelligent people fail the exam. (Fortunately, I was not one of them.) When one is in the final throes of studying-- and their real-life pride is on the line-- they'll worry about it. I assume it's particularly stressful if they're also worried about a state bar or about the fact that their fellow associates (w/ reg. numbers) are busy cranking out billable hours.

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby Agent » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:37 pm

yeast master wrote:I agree with those above who said it's a good thing to have passed the patent bar. But I think the time investment may not be worth it during 1L year. Grades should be priority #1. Some people may be able to do both without sacrificing grades, but I don't think I could have.


+1

baherber
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby baherber » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:seems like a lot of knowledgeable, patent law focused students in this thread so I hope the OP won't mind me thread-jacking, but would someone with a B.S. in Biology with no W/E have a chance at the patent fair? or even patent law in general?


I'd definitely register, but I got a shit ton of interviews withe mediocre grades and a BSEE and my buddy got 2 with V5 grades and a BS Bio. I think it really really hurts. But hey, those were two free interviews he got.


Everyone needs to define whether they are talking patent litigation or patent prosecution. If you are talking about prosecution, having only an undergrad degree in Bio is probably going to be inadequate to get more than a couple of interview (if you are lucky).

If you are talking about wanting to do patent litigation, an undergrad bio degree is sufficient. Strong law school grades will get you a bunch of interviews. This is the back ground I had, and I had 12 interviews and 5 call backs. My law school was ranked 48th at the time I interviewed.

With respect to the patent bar, again, if you want to prosecute, it would probably help you get interviews. If you want to litigate, it won't have any effect.

The key thing to remember is that patent litigation and patent prosecution are really apples and oranges. You cannot really compare the requirements for doing one with the requirements for doing the other.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: grade cutoff for loyola patent fair

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:02 pm

target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:seems like a lot of knowledgeable, patent law focused students in this thread so I hope the OP won't mind me thread-jacking, but would someone with a B.S. in Biology with no W/E have a chance at the patent fair? or even patent law in general?


I'd definitely register, but I got a shit ton of interviews withe mediocre grades and a BSEE and my buddy got 2 with V5 grades and a BS Bio. I think it really really hurts. But hey, those were two free interviews he got.


do you know if you buddy's two interviews are with GP firms or with boutique firms?


Not sure, but I'd imagine GP.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.