Policy internship 1L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stewie27

Bronze

Policy internship 1L?

Post by stewie27 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:50 pm

General consensus on here is that any legal work will do for 1L summer. I'm curious whether a more policy-geared internship falls into that too. I've had a few interviews with some non-profits that would entail researching certain laws, codes, their effects, etc, but wouldn't deal with litigation. I'd prefer something else, but at this stage in the game I'm not sure if I should take one of these if I get an offer or hold out. Would these not be direct enough as far as legal experience? Would it hurt next summer at 2L OCI? Would it make a difference if they're in DC and I want to work biglaw or government in DC eventually?

samsonyte16

New

Re: Policy internship 1L?

Post by samsonyte16 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:23 pm

You're researching legal issues? That's probably fine. Try to get a usable writing sample, though.

IAFG

Platinum

Re: Policy internship 1L?

Post by IAFG » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:25 pm

1L summer is mostly about how to spin it. Try to get some research and writing in so you can talk about it.

This might be worth starting a poll over, but only one firm ever asked me for a writing sample, including during the callback and offer stages, so that isn't something that I would get worked up over personally.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”