Choose AG or DA internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Choose AG or DA internship?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Anon because I don't want to share this info with anyone at my school yet.

Have 24 hours to decide. I can intern this summer at a DA's office where I can try/plea misdemeanors and possibly sit 2nd chair on a felony. The catch with the DA's office is that the DA will most likely be forcibly removed from office soon, just like her predecessor (did I just give away my location...lol).

The other option is I can intern with a section of my state AG's office where I will mostly research/write and maybe visit court a couple of times, but this section deals with almost every DA office in the state, on a limited level, so mucho contacts, even if it is probably a brief introduction at most.

I want to be a prosecutor as soon as possible out of school. Which would you pick and why?

leobowski

Re: Choose AG or DA internship?

Postby leobowski » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 pm

DA by a long shot, it gives you the kind of substantive courtroom experience that prosecutors look for. This isn't even close.

TheSkipper

Postby TheSkipper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Harris county?

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The catch with the DA's office is that the DA will most likely be forcibly removed from office soon, just like her predecessor (did I just give away my location...lol).

Why is that a "catch?" I would work for the DA. Brief introductions through the AG aren't going to help you at all when they have interns doing substantive work for them.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Are you a 1L or 2L?

Return to “Legal Employment”