AUSA appellate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Shaggier1

AUSA appellate

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Does anyone know which AUSA offices handle their own appeals? It seems that not each one does...

Deutschebag

Re: AUSA appellate

Postby Deutschebag » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:36 pm

I know the Tampa office in the Middle District of Florida has an appellate division, and pretty sure they are the only office in the Middle District of Florida to have one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:36 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Does anyone know which AUSA offices handle their own appeals? It seems that not each one does...

District of New Jersey does.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Does anyone know which AUSA offices handle their own appeals? It seems that not each one does...

All US Attorney Offices handles their own criminal appeals (barring exceptional circumstances). Civil side depends on the case rather than the office.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Deutschebag wrote:I know the Tampa office in the Middle District of Florida has an appellate division, and pretty sure they are the only office in the Middle District of Florida to have one.

Perhaps formally, but I know I saw a M.D.Jax Attorney in front of the 11th on one occasion.

Edit - This comports with the civil/criminal distinction noted above.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Yeah, from what I understand the Districts that have Appellate divisions use them primarily on civil matters and to assist AUSAs in prep for a criminal appeal. (One AUSA I talked to referred to them as the "Bluebooking department.")

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:Yeah, from what I understand the Districts that have Appellate divisions use them primarily on civil matters and to assist AUSAs in prep for a criminal appeal. (One AUSA I talked to referred to them as the "Bluebooking department.")

Reason they refer to them as such is because everything appeals does is in a blue color. Blue covers on briefs, blue folders, etc... Helps keep the stuff easy to regonize as being apart of an appeal.

OP, I work at the USAO and also asked someone who works in appeals and she stated that yes, majority of the USAO offices have them. Some smaller offices in smaller cities sometimes don't, and the attorneys handle the appeals, with the help of attorneys in the nearest USAO with an appellate division, who specialize in appeals. HTH.

Return to “Legal Employment”