2L 2012 Summer Employment Info

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2LsAPlenty

2L 2012 Summer Employment Info

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am

Starting a thread to keep in one place info on general understandings of SA this year instead of pieces in different threads. Please post what you think is going on at your school. You don't need to name your school if you prefer, just identify by general ranking. Particularly interested in difficulties in finding private practice gigs.

Anonymous User

Re: 2L 2012 Summer Employment Info

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:18 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:Starting a thread to keep in one place info on general understandings of SA this year instead of pieces in different threads. Please post what you think is going on at your school. You don't need to name your school if you prefer, just identify by general ranking. Particularly interested in difficulties in finding private practice gigs.

Wow, almost a 100 views and no comments. Everyone must have a summer gig.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2LsAPlenty wrote:Starting a thread to keep in one place info on general understandings of SA this year instead of pieces in different threads. Please post what you think is going on at your school. You don't need to name your school if you prefer, just identify by general ranking. Particularly interested in difficulties in finding private practice gigs.

Wow, almost a 100 views and no comments. Everyone must have a summer gig.

Yep. Everyone has a summer gig. Or maybe there are so many other threads discussing this that no one wants to re-hash it. Whomever is defining "private practice" as a term people can identify needs to reevaluate. Private practice includes everything from Wachtell Lipton to Jacoby & Meyers. Things like V10, V100, AmLaw 200, NLJ250, midlaw, small law and shitlaw all mean specific tiers of private practice that a student could give a reasoned response to based on their school's rank, their GPA and performance in the recruitment process.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:41 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:Or maybe there are so many other threads discussing this that no one wants to re-hash it.

lol, exactly. It's not like there isn't already an 18 page thread on this exact topic or that someone hasn't already compiled all that data into useful spreadsheets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:45 pm

bk1 wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:Or maybe there are so many other threads discussing this that no one wants to re-hash it.

lol, exactly. It's not like there isn't already an 18 page thread on this exact topic or that someone hasn't already compiled all that data into useful spreadsheets.

Just what I needed, a research assistant. :wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Just what I needed, a research assistant. :wink:

That info is somewhat stale. I was looking for those searching this semester.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:59 pm

1. Your thread subject or initial post in no way indicates that to the average reader.

2. Semesters are an arbitrary distinction compared to 1L because there is no NALP date or first grades date. The meaningful distinction is OCI to Non-OCI.

3. You stil haven't defined what you mean by "private practice." I'm sure no 2L at HYS has had problems getting shitlaw this semester and no 2L at a TTTT has waltzed into a V10 offer.

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:1. Your thread subject or initial post in no way indicates that to the average reader.

2. Semesters are an arbitrary distinction compared to 1L because there is no NALP date or first grades date. The meaningful distinction is OCI to Non-OCI.

3. You stil haven't defined what you mean by "private practice." I'm sure no 2L at HYS has had problems getting shitlaw this semester and no 2L at a TTTT has waltzed into a V10 offer.

Well, perhaps it is too broad. Sorry. I was just trying to see what general trends 2Ls were experiencing this semester. I realize a lot of people landed their jobs last semester. Just curious for the rest of us in a general way.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:08 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:1. Your thread subject or initial post in no way indicates that to the average reader.

Well, perhaps it is too broad. Sorry. I was just trying to see what general trends 2Ls were experiencing this semester. I realize a lot of people landed their jobs last semester. Just curious for the rest of us in a general way.

The only general things I've seen at my t14 is that there are a couple more big firm and small firm postings for 2Ls on Simplicity compared to last year, but they are usually for very specific backgrounds and practice groups. Also, there are far fewer government positions, paid or unpaid, being listed compared to last year.

Return to “Legal Employment”