1L with internship questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L with internship questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:01 am

Hi everybody,

So I go to a T2 and am very interested in prosecution. Unfortunately, all of the applications i've sent out for DA internships don't respond until march. One in particular, with the U.S. Attorney's Office, I interviewed with and would love to have. However, I have been offered two Health Care law, unpaid, internships and have turned both down. My line of thought is-- if i'm not getting paid, I'm not going to work in a field i'm not even interested in doing something I don't plan on doing for a career.

However, I have an interview this week with a think-tank that specializes in international law and warfare. I'll be honest, I didn't enter law school with the intent of going in this direction, but the work they do is fascinating, and I could definitely see myself working there. However, the work i'd be doing is more research and writing than "legal" (i.e. memo, depositions, briefs etc. ) work. So my question is:
if i were to take this job, would it hurt my future job prospects? How important is it to do the nuts & bolts legal work your first year? ( I'm waiting to hear back for a union internship where I'd be doing this type of work).

I know I rambled. Its Karaoke night, i got a little wavey, these are my unfiltered thoughts. Give me your advice, series of tubes.

kalvano

Re: 1L with internship questions

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:03 am

You're a 1L. Take whatever you can get that sounds fun and gives you legal experience.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:20 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:20 am

rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:You're a 1L. Take whatever you can get that sounds fun and gives you legal experience.

This, and I'd stay away from the think tank if possible due to lack of a real "legal experience."

To that end, stop turning down shit and take something so you can concentrate on getting it together for finals.

get in chat douche

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:14 pm

kalvano wrote:You're a 1L. Take whatever you can get that sounds fun and gives you legal experience.

OP here. That makes sense, I guess my question is what exactly is good legal experience? Is there something that someone in an interview down the line will turn their nose up at?

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. That makes sense, I guess my question is what exactly is good legal experience? Is there something that someone in an interview down the line will turn their nose up at?

I'd also like to know this. What I've gleaned from 2Ls and slowly and carefully deciphering the Klingon the career office speaks, is that producing writing is very important.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:41 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'd also like to know this. What I've gleaned from 2Ls and slowly and carefully deciphering the Klingon the career office speaks, is that producing writing is very important.

This. All i've gathered is that I should get some writing experience. Everything else i've been told has been some hyperbolic jibberish about getting lawyering experience.

Return to “Legal Employment”