Take the job or wait it out?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tortsillustrated

Take the job or wait it out?

Postby tortsillustrated » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:54 pm

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. TLS has been pure gold over the past year, so I thought I'd try and get some advice. I'm a 1L at a T30 and recently got a job offer from a county attorney's office in the state I want to work. (not the state my school is in) I ultimately want to go AF JAG when I graduate and as a result I applied for the 1L internship program. Unfortunately I won't hear back from them until early March. I like my chances of getting an offer (pretty decent grades-top 25%-ish and a dad in the AF) but it definitely isn't a sure thing. Normally I'd just wait, but my offer from the county attorney's office expires before March. I'm going to ask for an extension, but overall I'm doubtful they'll give it to me as they already gave me several weeks to decide.

What should I do? Some of my friends with better grades then me don't have jobs yet, so I'm worried about turning down a sure thing in the market I want to end up in. However, the AF is my number one choice and where I want to work after graduation.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Take the job or wait it out?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:51 am

tortsillustrated wrote:Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. TLS has been pure gold over the past year, so I thought I'd try and get some advice. I'm a 1L at a T30 and recently got a job offer from a county attorney's office in the state I want to work. (not the state my school is in) I ultimately want to go AF JAG when I graduate and as a result I applied for the 1L internship program. Unfortunately I won't hear back from them until early March. I like my chances of getting an offer (pretty decent grades-top 25%-ish and a dad in the AF) but it definitely isn't a sure thing. Normally I'd just wait, but my offer from the county attorney's office expires before March. I'm going to ask for an extension, but overall I'm doubtful they'll give it to me as they already gave me several weeks to decide.

What should I do? Some of my friends with better grades then me don't have jobs yet, so I'm worried about turning down a sure thing in the market I want to end up in. However, the AF is my number one choice and where I want to work after graduation.

Tough call but for a 1L summer the key is to get legal experience and that you will at the county attorney office. So for what it is worth, my suggestion is take it.

Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”