worried 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

worried 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:30 pm

MVP, 1L, median.

No bites from small/medium sized firms in home market. What do I do now? I'm starting to worry.

Am I too late to apply to judicial internships? How do I find openings?

LoyalRebel

Re: worried 1L

Postby LoyalRebel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:33 pm

I would say you still have time to apply for judicial internships, but you better get in it soon.

Our career services website has judicial internships posted. I would start with yours.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:35 pm

i think the judicial extern-ship has sailed for this summer. Most places are already working on hiring for fall positions.

You need to be applying at public interest places. the most important thing to do is to get whatever job is the easiest to get so that you can stop worrying about summer jobs and focus on bumping your GPA up before 2L OCI.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Do you have simplicity or that other pslawnet bullshit that's similar? Apply to every thing you can possibly find on there that you wouldn't mind doing and involves legal work/possible writing sample experience.

I would turn my attention to state judges. Does your career program have a system/website with listings?

If not, you're going to need to spam EVERYWHERE if you want to get on in this game.

At this point, you're probs. going to end up with something along PI lines so be on the look out.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Just do judicial internship and/or RA, breh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:02 pm

I am in similar position to original poster here. Did not apply to article III judges cause I was planning on something that flew away (and that whole thing where you cannot say no if they say yes), but now really worried.
When you guys mention state judges... do you mean Appellate judges, or do you also mean trial judges?
My grades are overall good, but not great, maybe top 1/3 but certainly above median. Low t-14.

I have also applied to few places like AG offices etc... how long do they take to respond generally? Are they rolling? A lot of them still accept applications so maybe they decide much later, but it is seems too stressful to wait until they mid-march.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am in similar position to original poster here. Did not apply to article III judges cause I was planning on something that flew away (and that whole thing where you cannot say no if they say yes), but now really worried.
When you guys mention state judges... do you mean Appellate judges, or do you also mean trial judges?
My grades are overall good, but not great, maybe top 1/3 but certainly above median. Low t-14.

I have also applied to few places like AG offices etc... how long do they take to respond generally? Are they rolling? A lot of them still accept applications so maybe they decide much later, but it is seems too stressful to wait until they mid-march.

i mean you're in no position to care.

AG offices vary by region and office. Could be a week, could be 2 months. Some are rolling, some are on a strict deadline that probably passed in December, or could be coming up at the end of March. You need to call and ask about this.

At this point if you're starting to worry, you need to hustle and get on top of it by asking employers themselves (and people who worked at those places) than sitting around and panicking.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Professors are starting to look for RA for the summer. Ask them or check out postings/email notices. If you are ok with RA it's actually not late at all. For outside of the school, I think a fair amount of places have not finished reviewing yet, but you may have to do more leg work to seek them out.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:35 pm

a lot of places have a march 1 deadline. if you're worried you should probably talk to your cso, they'll probably have a list of all of the government deadlines coming up.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:05 am

r6_philly wrote:Professors are starting to look for RA for the summer. Ask them or check out postings/email notices. If you are ok with RA it's actually not late at all. For outside of the school, I think a fair amount of places have not finished reviewing yet, but you may have to do more leg work to seek them out.

This. You can get paid, make contacts, and not harm your chances of finding gainful employment in the future. February is not the point to start pulling your hair out. Regardless, a lot of people get good summer jobs at the 11th hour; around March/April last year I stumbled into a paying midlaw gig.

To quote the Sunscreen song "Don't worry; or, worry, and know that worrying is like trying to solve algebra equations while chewing bubblegum."

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:21 am

At MVP your school must have all those centers for stuff like law & society, race relations, environment, etc. Almost all of them hire summer interns. Inquire at all of those at your school or even at peer schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:30 pm

worldtraveler wrote:At MVP your school must have all those centers for stuff like law & society, race relations, environment, etc. Almost all of them hire summer interns. Inquire at all of those at your school or even at peer schools.

Better to be doing something law related than nothing. Resume enhancement.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:37 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Professors are starting to look for RA for the summer. Ask them or check out postings/email notices. If you are ok with RA it's actually not late at all. For outside of the school, I think a fair amount of places have not finished reviewing yet, but you may have to do more leg work to seek them out.

This. You can get paid, make contacts, and not harm your chances of finding gainful employment in the future. February is not the point to start pulling your hair out. Regardless, a lot of people get good summer jobs at the 11th hour; around March/April last year I stumbled into a paying midlaw gig.

To quote the Sunscreen song "Don't worry; or, worry, and know that worrying is like trying to solve algebra equations by chewing bubblegum."

FTFY. Chewing bubblegum doesn't actually hinder algebra performance, but it certainly isn't sufficient to complete it...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:40 am

Just to follow up because I'm worried as well. I'm at one of CN of the CCN trio (this stuff is stupid) and I received all Bs first semester. I know that's below median, but I'm not sure where and I don't know how much trouble I'm in. I've pretty much been panicking since I got back to school. I guess I really just didn't know how to write a law exam. I figured Getting to Maybe and using outside stuff wasn't necessary and stuff that I had never done. How wrong I was....

I was just fortunate enough to grab something locally for the summer though (job that is). I just don't even know if it's all worth it right now.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just to follow up because I'm worried as well. I'm at one of CN of the CCN trio (this stuff is stupid) and I received all Bs first semester. I know that's below median, but I'm not sure where and I don't know how much trouble I'm in. I've pretty much been panicking since I got back to school. I guess I really just didn't know how to write a law exam. I figured Getting to Maybe and using outside stuff wasn't necessary and stuff that I had never done. How wrong I was....

I was just fortunate enough to grab something locally for the summer though (job that is). I just don't even know if it's all worth it right now.

Anon, PM me. I don't think there's need to worry about 2L summer big law prospects (I'm at CN and know several people with below 3.0 big law gigs).

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:43 pm

I am a bit worried too, I got started pretty effing late. Called around 70 judges in my home state yesterday; about 25 are still hiring summer interns, while about 30 already had theirs and 15 either didn't ever hire summer interns or were doing something this summer that wouldn't make it possible. I'd say only about 5 of the 25 Federal Judges I called were accepting offers, but nearly half of the State Court Judges (trial court, in big cities, including my preferred employment market) are hiring. In fact, some of the State Judges (or at least their staff members) who are seated in the State Capital (small city, could live at home, which would be very nice) seemed genuinely amazed that someone was calling them this early, when the local process doesn't really get going until mid-to-late March.

So, moral of the story: Lots of stuff still out there, apparently. But be thorough as hell, and do it now. Sending out those 25 apps today, and in a few days, after I finish this gosh-darned Appellate Brief, I'm going to call another set of 50 or so judges to round out my geographic and prestige-level possibilities.

Time, of course, will tell if this works or not...

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:31 am

try to get in touch with the judge's clerks. they do the hiring since externs will be working more closely with them rather than the judge. might be hard to get the contacts of the clerks though. maybe you can ask the office of the clerk or something. good luck!

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:40 am

Same boat, CCN. What kills me is that I am a good interviewer, and I have been on quite a few interviews where I felt like it went really well, then I get a stupid ding a few weeks later. Sending out more and more applications is becoming a much greater pain as the semester gets busier, the worst is when I spend a decent chunk of time applying to a job and then get dinged a few days later, kills my motivation to sacrifice time I should be reading to keep up with it.

I did a hail mary application binge a few days ago, I went into some catatonic state and when I emerged I had applied to pretty much every possible thing I could find, if I don't get any bites from that then I will probably go to our OCS and latch onto someone's leg until they find me a job.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:46 am

thegrayman wrote:Same boat, CCN. What kills me is that I am a good interviewer, and I have been on quite a few interviews where I felt like it went really well, then I get a stupid ding a few weeks later. Sending out more and more applications is becoming a much greater pain as the semester gets busier, the worst is when I spend a decent chunk of time applying to a job and then get dinged a few days later, kills my motivation to sacrifice time I should be reading to keep up with it.

I did a hail mary application binge a few days ago, I went into some catatonic state and when I emerged I had applied to pretty much every possible thing I could find, if I don't get any bites from that then I will probably go to our OCS and latch onto someone's leg until they find me a job.

Part of the learning curve that is law hiring is the point you discover you are not a good interviewer. Confidence, sociability, ease in social settings and other industry success do not translate because everyone in law has that. You need to be pitch perfect, charismatic, and intensely desirable. For guys, it's the difference between being able to chat with a woman at.a bar and maybe get her number and the guys with average looks who make girls actually tear their shirt off to try and convince him he should take them home. OP, go to the CSO and do a mock interview, then ask to do an alumni mock interview, then cold call a random partner and ask him to do a mock interview.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:14 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
thegrayman wrote:Same boat, CCN. What kills me is that I am a good interviewer, and I have been on quite a few interviews where I felt like it went really well, then I get a stupid ding a few weeks later. Sending out more and more applications is becoming a much greater pain as the semester gets busier, the worst is when I spend a decent chunk of time applying to a job and then get dinged a few days later, kills my motivation to sacrifice time I should be reading to keep up with it.

Part of the learning curve that is law hiring is the point you discover you are not a good interviewer. Confidence, sociability, ease in social settings and other industry success do not translate because everyone in law has that. You need to be pitch perfect, charismatic, and intensely desirable. For guys, it's the difference between being able to chat with a woman at.a bar and maybe get her number and the guys with average looks who make girls actually tear their shirt off to try and convince him he should take them home. OP, go to the CSO and do a mock interview, then ask to do an alumni mock interview, then cold call a random partner and ask him to do a mock interview.

I did 2 mock interviews this week with associates at biglaw firms, both said I was a great interviewer. I'm not disillusioned, I'm a good interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:15 am

PSA to 0Ls reading this: Do not bank on getting a firm job as a 1L, no matter how good your school / grades are. I am a 1L at CCN with probably top third grades, applied to 200+ firms in every market I could possibly say I had a tie to on 12/1, and had 12 interviews. I then struck out. (Yes, I did a mock interview and career services assured me I'm not a terrible interviewer).

As a 1L, if you go to a national school, firms are worried about you taking their money and then running off to NYC / DC / Chicago / LA. The only people I know who have firm jobs are people who are a) patent bar eligible b) diverse (read: AA) and incredibly accomplished c) grew up and went to high school in a city that hires lots of 1Ls, such as Houston, Dallas, or Birmingham. If you do not fall into these categories, you probably will not get a firm job.

I thankfully branched out and applied to other places at the end of January, and I got 2 offers from government orgs last week, so I guess I can't complain too much. But do not bank on a firm job.

target

Postby target » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:As a 1L, if you go to a national school, firms are worried about you taking their money and then running off to NYC / DC / Chicago / LA. The only people I know who have firm jobs are people who are a) patent bar eligible b) diverse (read: AA) and incredibly accomplished c) grew up and went to high school in a city that hires lots of 1Ls, such as Houston, Dallas, or Birmingham. If you do not fall into these categories, you probably will not get a firm job.

I just want to echo this and say that people who are "home-grown" (read born and raise in that state, went to undergrad at that state's flagship school, and now law school in that state) would have much much better chance at firm jobs 1L year than an out of stater with impressive grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:33 pm

thegrayman wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

I did 2 mock interviews this week with associates at biglaw firms, both said I was a great interviewer. I'm not disillusioned, I'm a good interviewer.

So you do well with someone who doesn't' care and where there is absolutely no pressure--here the proof is in the pudding--if you have had a number of interviews and no callbacks/offers/etc and have normal grades and such then you really need to reconsider what you think is a "good interviewer."

Good Luck

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PSA to 0Ls reading this: Do not bank on getting a firm job as a 1L, no matter how good your school / grades are. I am a 1L at CCN with probably top third grades, applied to 200+ firms in every market I could possibly say I had a tie to on 12/1, and had 12 interviews. I then struck out. (Yes, I did a mock interview and career services assured me I'm not a terrible interviewer).

As a 1L, if you go to a national school, firms are worried about you taking their money and then running off to NYC / DC / Chicago / LA. The only people I know who have firm jobs are people who are a) patent bar eligible b) diverse (read: AA) and incredibly accomplished c) grew up and went to high school in a city that hires lots of 1Ls, such as Houston, Dallas, or Birmingham. If you do not fall into these categories, you probably will not get a firm job.

I thankfully branched out and applied to other places at the end of January, and I got 2 offers from government orgs last week, so I guess I can't complain too much. But do not bank on a firm job.

Take this for what its worth and no more--the logical leaps this poster makes would not do well on a law exam--he applied to a bunch of places, failed 12 interviews, and now is looking to blame it on a system he can't defeat. However, I know several (more than 5)--white males at a lower T-14 than this poster is at that received 1L SA positions in the following locations: 3: NYC; 2:Chicago; 2: St. Louis; 1: LA---so I guess that actually makes 7....it is definitely possible for any person to get these jobs....my guess is this poster either: 1) can't interview; 2) has weird odors; 3) has little to nothing impressive for work experience; 4) extremely boring and entitled; 5) the list could go on and on but it is not the system or opportunities--here it is the person....

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:39 pm

A LOT of small firms don't start hiring til April/May, fyi.

Return to “Legal Employment”