Harvard / Yale LLM for US JD Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Harvard / Yale LLM for US JD

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm not sure if this is the proper area to post this, but does anyone know if Harvard or Yale admit students with U.S. JDs into their LL.M. programs? I realize that there websites both say that they do, but I'm curious if their programs are still comprised primarily (if not entirely) of foreign students.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Re: Harvard / Yale LLM for US JD

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:15 pm

IB4 that LLM flowchart.

GertrudePerkins

Bronze

Post by GertrudePerkins » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:36 pm

This is based just on anecdata, but seems like vast majority of Harvard LLMs are international. The only LLMs I've met that I'm certain are not international are JAGs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:09 pm

GertrudePerkins wrote:This is based just on anecdata, but seems like vast majority of Harvard LLMs are international. The only LLMs I've met that I'm certain are not international are JAGs.
I'll second this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Both accept JDs and gear admissions towards candidates interested in pursuing academia. Generally need at least some work experience (I believe "at least a year" is used on Yale's site). Outside of that, info we'd want to know like where people went for their JD, how they did, what jobs they had, if they had any record of publications etc. is hard to find. I know Columbia and Berkeley do as well and Stanford does not. I'm not sure about the good Chicago schools.

The value of the degree outside of tax is it gives you a year to write a good article, submit to journals, hopefully get published, then use that paper as part of your job talk during the professor meat market. Other than that there's not much point but I'm happy to take that statement back if a JD/LLM can tell me how it changed their life and opened new doors to private practice...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:IB4 that LLM flowchart.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:07 pm

The value of the degree outside of tax is it gives you a year to write a good article, submit to journals, hopefully get published, then use that paper as part of your job talk during the professor meat market.
And there are much easier ways to do this -- ones that actually end up paying you. For example, a VAP, fellowship, or even a clerkship or government job. And if you don't have the credentials to get one of those, you won't have the credentials to go on the academic market, either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”