Still no job for 1L summer. What do I do now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Still no job for 1L summer. What do I do now?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Median at a T14. I applied only to prosecutor's offices and have no offers. Is it too early to worry? What other options do I have and when should I start applying?

azntwice

Re: Still no job for 1L summer. What do I do now?

Postby azntwice » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Aside from the obvious, why would you apply only to prosecutor's offices, you need to get a move on now. Apply to every single public interest group within 100 miles. I was getting interviews up through March and April which I had to turn down because I'd gotten a job offer. There are still open positions, but you need to find them and apply to them as soon as humanly possible. Also check to see if you can work for your school, as professors often need research assistants over the summer. Ask a professor if you can work for them over the summer, paid or unpaid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:05 pm

azntwice wrote:Aside from the obvious, why would you apply only to prosecutor's offices, you need to get a move on now. Apply to every single public interest group within 100 miles. I was getting interviews up through March and April which I had to turn down because I'd gotten a job offer. There are still open positions, but you need to find them and apply to them as soon as humanly possible. Also check to see if you can work for your school, as professors often need research assistants over the summer. Ask a professor if you can work for them over the summer, paid or unpaid.
CR. I didn't have my job (with a district judge) in hand at this point last year. Start spamming your resume to every legal organization in every city you could stomach working in for a summer, now. Your school's region, your home region, any region you might eventually like to work in. USAO, DA, SG, PD, judges federal and state, pro bono orgs and nonprofits, etc. And start thinking about asking profs for RA gigs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:17 pm

OP here. How about state judges? Do I still have a shot with them?

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Apply to small firms. You'll get litigation experience like you were looking for in a prosecutor's office and it's just about the only place where you won't be behind the ball in terms of the hiring calendar.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Spam state court of appeals and federal magistrate judges

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Median at a T14. I applied only to prosecutor's offices and have no offers. Is it too early to worry? What other options do I have and when should I start applying?

nah i'd start to worry a bit now. not full blown panic yet.

you want to have a jerb offer by the end of next month. I think April is when you start to really panic.

spam all the judges. make sure your documents are in perfect shape.

also look at small/mid-law now.

check symplicity for any jerbs that only recently opened up.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:25 pm

+1 to what everyone has said. Basically now is the time to spam anywhere and everywhere that is open. You hurt yourself by doing such a narrow job search to start but plenty of places are still hiring so you're not screwed yet.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:31 pm

I didn't even have my summer plans nailed down until March when I was a 1L. The norm, I think is for most people to figure out their plans Feb-March.

But I really have to wonder why you only applied to such a limited field. Without knowing your long-term plans, don't make the same mistake during next year's job hunt.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:34 pm

I'd say you're fine. Stuff keeps popping up on pslawnet like everyday, just apply to everything that pops up.

Return to “Legal Employment”