I landed Biglaw for my 1L Summer...WTF do I do now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bdubs

Re: I landed Biglaw for my 1L Summer...WTF do I do now?

Postby bdubs » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:03 am

romothesavior wrote: it might be a good idea to spend some of your firm bonus money (assuming you get some) on a suit or two.

Is this common? I'd never seen anyone mention an SA "bonus" before.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:48 pm

bdubs wrote:
romothesavior wrote: it might be a good idea to spend some of your firm bonus money (assuming you get some) on a suit or two.

Is this common? I'd never seen anyone mention an SA "bonus" before.

Really? I was under the impression this was common. I get one and I think I've seen them mentioned on TLS before. They are usually distributed in like March/April, I think. They are supposed to help with your transition to the firm that summer. I dunno, maybe its not a thing.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:Really? I was under the impression this was common. I get one and I think I've seen them mentioned on TLS before. They are usually distributed in like March/April, I think. They are supposed to help with your transition to the firm that summer. I dunno, maybe its not a thing.

I've heard some firms pay for travel expenses before and after the SA, but that's just reimbursement and not a wholesale bonus.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:20 pm

I've never heard of a firm giving a "bonus" (why would they give a bonus when first years only get a pro-rated bonus that comes out to a few hundred bucks), but I know some firms reimburse travel and moving expenses.

Edit: And in my case, the reimbursement was much more than the actual expenses.
Last edited by Stanford4Me on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:21 pm

bk1 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Really? I was under the impression this was common. I get one and I think I've seen them mentioned on TLS before. They are usually distributed in like March/April, I think. They are supposed to help with your transition to the firm that summer. I dunno, maybe its not a thing.

I've heard some firms pay for travel expenses before and after the SA, but that's just reimbursement and not a wholesale bonus.

exactly my firm's situation. No outright bonus, but they'll pay for travel.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Well lucky me then. 8)

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:Any tips on what kind of assignment to pick? I am going somewhere without a rotation system and I was told we are free to pick from listed assignments.

Congrats man!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:17 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Any tips on what kind of assignment to pick? I am going somewhere without a rotation system and I was told we are free to pick from listed assignments.

Congrats man!

Thanks! :mrgreen:

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:Well lucky me then. 8)

Damn was this for a previous summer or the upcoming one?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:13 am

jeeptiger09 wrote:

Upcoming. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I had known it was a rare thing. I legitimately thought most firms did this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 am

I'm weighing an 1L offer from a firm that would give me good experience (and pay well), but it's really not the kind of place that I could see myself working long-term (or at least out of school), and I would definitely intend to do OCI (and do 2L summer elsewhere).
I'm trying to weigh the need for me to do what's best for me and my financial situation, against the worry that I'll be a giant d-bag if I take a 1L summer spot with no intention to return the following summer.
Is watching out for numero uno standard and acceptable practice?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm weighing an 1L offer from a firm that would give me good experience (and pay well), but it's really not the kind of place that I could see myself working long-term (or at least out of school), and I would definitely intend to do OCI (and do 2L summer elsewhere).
I'm trying to weigh the need for me to do what's best for me and my financial situation, against the worry that I'll be a giant d-bag if I take a 1L summer spot with no intention to return the following summer.

This is an objectively stupid poast.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am

Guchster wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm weighing an 1L offer from a firm that would give me good experience (and pay well), but it's really not the kind of place that I could see myself working long-term (or at least out of school), and I would definitely intend to do OCI (and do 2L summer elsewhere).

This is an objectively stupid poast.

Oh, it's far worse than that! How did someone so clueless land a 1L firm job in the first place? It seems horribly unjust.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:34 am

LOLOLOLOL at being a douche for taking a firm job. Take the money and if you don't like it, don't go back. Pretty simple.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:

Upcoming. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I had known it was a rare thing. I legitimately thought most firms did this.

Dang, that's awesome. I have heard of it at a few NY biglaw firms, but not too frequently outside of that. That's really sweet.

Return to “Legal Employment”