I landed Biglaw for my 1L Summer...WTF do I do now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I landed Biglaw for my 1L Summer...WTF do I do now?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:21 pm

I know there others in my same boat. I am extremely happy to have landed a sweet big law gig as a 1L but now I have more questions than answers.

1. What can I do to prepare? I don't want to walk into my first legal research or writing assignment this summer and look like an idiot. What can I do to prepare for the research or writing requirements of a big firm?

2. What do I wear? Is it all suits all the time? Should I get some suits made now? Should I wait and see?

3. What is the etiquette of the 2L offer/OCI? It is my understanding that this firm has offered all of its 1Ls positions after their summer. If this happens do I skip OCI? Is it bad to ask to split my 2L summer? Can I ask to try a different firm for 2L summer?

4. What are some other things I should be aware of?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2LLLL

Re: I landed Biglaw for my 1L Summer...WTF do I do now?

Postby 2LLLL » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:26 pm

(1) Probably not too much- pay attention in your legal writing/research class if you're in one; maybe attend the West and Lexis seminars that they have from time to time.

(2) Suit- if it turns out that others at the firm are more casual, then you may be able to downgrade a few weeks in, but I feel like I got great advice from a family friend who is an attorney and told me that no one ever looks down on an attorney in a suit.

(3) You can do OCI, but be mindful about offer deadlines from the 1L firm. If it's a really small market you may want to be discreet. I don't think it would be completely inappropriate to ask for a split, but I'd wait to have the second offer in hand to ask.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:58 pm

God I hate law students.

1. Nothing, they won't expect much from you. Pay attention in your legal writing class, attend Westlaw/Lexis stuff if you want to. There's no special book you need to read or anything. Stop being so anal retentive.

2. Get suits made? If you've got it like that, congrats. If not, no. The recruiter should let you know what the proper attire is. Stop over thinking.

3. You may be guaranteed a position (if you want it) during 2L summer. Otherwise, you'll have the opportunity to go through 2L OCI regardless of the outcome of your 1L summer. There's nothing different you'll need to do.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:13 am

God I hate law students.

This.

Though I can understand the excitement and shiver to think what some of my posts must have looked like back in the day (so to speak).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:34 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know there others in my same boat. I am extremely happy to have landed a sweet big law gig as a 1L but now I have more questions than answers.

1. What can I do to prepare? I don't want to walk into my first legal research or writing assignment this summer and look like an idiot. What can I do to prepare for the research or writing requirements of a big firm?

2. What do I wear? Is it all suits all the time? Should I get some suits made now? Should I wait and see?

3. What is the etiquette of the 2L offer/OCI? It is my understanding that this firm has offered all of its 1Ls positions after their summer. If this happens do I skip OCI? Is it bad to ask to split my 2L summer? Can I ask to try a different firm for 2L summer?

wtf. calm down.

1. Go to westlaw/lexisnexis trainings (eta: about using this shit in the werkplace) . Ask clarifying, smart questions of the people you work for. Don't annoy/piss off your associates/partners. Don't be an asshole and do what people tell you to do (in the way they want it)
2. Ask recruiter, then look around and see how other people dress when you start working at the office.
3. I do not know what firm you are talking about, so how could I possibly answer this question? My firm has an automatic offer policy (as long as I don't fuck it up), and I only have to return for a few weeks to get a full-time offer for 2L. I'm free to do OCI obvi. You need to ask and communicate with your recruitment director. Having this conversation with partners and attorney is awkward, but it's what the recruiter gets paid to do, so go to him/her--so go ask that person your questions. You should've asked these questions when you were deciding which firm to work for. I asked about return offer ratio/percentage and every firm I went to, as well as OCI possibilities, splitting 2L, and full-time offer ratio, . If your firm is in Texas or NYC, pm me and I can see if I know about yours.

Regardless, it's too late now to ask before you pick, so you need to ask the recuiter about what your options look like for next summer, and whether they expect you to split or not.

edited: also edited to be less of an ass. i was just annoyed at the fact that OP made me feel lazy for not even giving a single fuck about prepping for the summer.
Last edited by Guchster on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:51 am

Guchster wrote:Go to westlaw/lexisnexis trainings.

Are these things actually useful?

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:52 am

bk1 wrote:

Depends.

I knew absolutely nothing about lexis.

Going to one actually helped me.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:53 am

bk1 wrote:

oops, yeah most are pretty shit. lemme clarify bk. there's this decent one on using lexis/westlaw in the workplace for jerbs.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 am

Guchster wrote:oops, yeah most are pretty shit. lemme clarify bk. there's this decent one on using lexis/westlaw in the workplace for jerbs.

Hmmm. Might look into it.

johansantana21 wrote:I knew absolutely nothing about lexis.

Well this is definitely me since I'm almost always on westlol unless I'm trying to scrounge lexis points.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:08 am

bk1 wrote:Well this is definitely me since I'm almost always on westlol unless I'm trying to scrounge lexis points.

lol, same here, and I do the lexis point quizzes with westlawl, 8)

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:11 am

Also, just thought of one thing OP.

My firm doesn't have Westlaw Next which is all I know how to use. Luckily, 2Ls at my school were raised on old westlaw, so I just plan on getting them to help me if I need it.

Don't know if you're in the same position, but I've at least tried to make some effort in using old school westlaw for this brief (which is literally the worst work product I've ever committed to virtual web space in my life).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:16 am

Jesus christ, OP. I did 1L biglaw (v20 firm) last summer too. Did nothing to prepare. Wore normal business casual shit. It worked out fine. 2L offer possibilities will depend entirely on the firm....you'll learn more this summer. You must be 23 or something...sounds like you've never had a job before.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:52 am

OP Here

Anonymous User wrote:You must be 23 or something...sounds like you've never had a job before.

Nope not even close but thanks for playing.

Thank you to everyone that gave sound advice.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:16 am

johansantana21 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Depends.

I knew absolutely nothing about lexis.

Going to one actually helped me.

When I worked at my firm last summer there was a Lexis rep who was ridiculously amazing and helped me with a lot of my research. He also taught me a lot of pointers that helped me become a better researcher. He's probably the only helpful legal research representative I've met. I almost switched to Lexis...but I'm too used to Westlaw.

lsapplicant07

Postby lsapplicant07 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Last edited by lsapplicant07 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Also, OP. I apologize for the harshness for my response. I'm currently in counseling for that.

I did a 1L gig and have a few friends who did as well. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

AndreeaP

Postby AndreeaP » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know there others in my same boat. I am extremely happy to have landed a sweet big law gig as a 1L but now I have more questions than answers.

I think doing research efficiently should probably be one of the things to think about. I would suggest you invest in a legal research book - "Where the Law Is: An Introduction to Advanced Legal Research." It really pays off to learn how to do research methodically. (You can also find some research guides online, but the book is much more comprehensive.) Considering that a law firm pays for its WL and Lexis searches, you want to be efficient. It is pretty hard as a 1L to impress, but you certainly don't want to be the SA that ran up their bill like crazy for no good reason. Don't forget: "focus" in Lexis and "Locate within results" in WL are your best friends because those are FREE searches (last time I looked into this anyway - you can double check this info). So you can run broad searches and focus your results that way. Also, you can call Lexis and WL for assistance with your research and I am pretty sure you don't get charged for that.

In general, make sure you know exactly what is wanted from you - if you have to confirm it with an email, just to make sure you understand the assignment, do so.

You should not worry too much - pay attention to instructions, make sure you know what is expected of you, and don't step on anybody's toes. (For example, make sure you don't go over anybody's head - pay attention to the hierarchy.)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:23 am

Any tips on what kind of assignment to pick? I am going somewhere without a rotation system and I was told we are free to pick from listed assignments.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:39 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Also, OP. I apologize for the harshness for my response. I'm currently in counseling for that.

I did a 1L gig and have a few friends who did as well. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Good for you. Seeing statements like this restore my faith in humanity.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:52 am

r6_philly wrote:Any tips on what kind of assignment to pick? I am going somewhere without a rotation system and I was told we are free to pick from listed assignments.

Honestly, just do whatever.

I went in 1L summer thinking I would only want to do M&A/Private Equity/Capital Markets.

I took a Securities lit. project on a whim and fell in love instantly. I'll be doing more Securities lit. projects this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:10 am

this whole thread is a humblebrag.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:36 am

1) The two most important things are being professional and showing good judgment (in other words, don't do anything foolish). They will not expect you to know a lot about the law and the strategy of being a lawyer. They want to see that you are courteous, that you respond to emails promptly, that you communicate well with your colleagues, that you turn assignments in on time, that you conduct yourself well, and you fit in with the firm. A partner at my 2L SA told me a few weeks ago that this is really all there is to it, because they realize how green we are. I imagine this is true at pretty much all biglaw firms. You're a 1L with little knowledge or experience, and I'm sure they get that.

2) What is the firm's dress code? If it is professional, it might be a good idea to spend some of your firm bonus money (assuming you get some) on a suit or two. If it is business casual, as many firms are nowadays, then you shouldn't worry much about it. You probably won't suit up all that often. Basically just for courtroom proceedings and maybe client interaction, if they invite you to those types of things.

3) This is somewhat firm specific. I know of firms that will make and offer and expect you to take it for 2L. I also have heard of firms making an offer and allowing (maybe even encouraging) you to split your summer and get the experience of another firm during 2L year. If you really like the firm during 1L, stick with it. But don't feel tied to them if you don't. An SA is a trial period for both of you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:38 am

r6_philly wrote:Any tips on what kind of assignment to pick? I am going somewhere without a rotation system and I was told we are free to pick from listed assignments.

I'd say just pick something that sounds interesting to you. Also, you might want to start with something a little more manageable...something that's not far removed from your 1L wheelhouse. I didn't get to choose my first assignment, and I had to write about something I knew absolutely nothing about. It ended up working out fine, but it was a little intimidating at first.

Not a big deal either way, though. You'll have the chance to do plenty of stuff throughout the summer. I did a good ten or so assignments, but they all varied dramatically in size and scope. I could have just as easily only done four or twenty, depending on the draw.

Return to “Legal Employment”