What is decent pay for 1L Summer in Midwest?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: What is decent pay for 1L Summer in Midwest?

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:01 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
kalvano wrote:
bk1 wrote:
2LsAPlenty wrote:For free at a firm? Or government job?


Gov/nonprofits don't have to pay people. Firms can't not pay people. I'm sure most small firms would pay their 1L interns nothing if it was legal so I think getting almost double min wage is pretty good.



I'm curious what you mean by the bolded.


Department of labor made a release that seemed to imply that unpaid interns at a law firm are a no no.



I should forward that to the firm near me that wanted 10 weeks, 40+ hours a week, with no pay.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What is decent pay for 1L Summer in Midwest?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
kalvano wrote:
bk1 wrote:
2LsAPlenty wrote:For free at a firm? Or government job?


Gov/nonprofits don't have to pay people. Firms can't not pay people. I'm sure most small firms would pay their 1L interns nothing if it was legal so I think getting almost double min wage is pretty good.



I'm curious what you mean by the bolded.


Department of labor made a release that seemed to imply that unpaid interns at a law firm are a no no.



Thanks, helpful to know.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What is decent pay for 1L Summer in Midwest?

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:12 pm

kalvano wrote:I should forward that to the firm near me that wanted 10 weeks, 40+ hours a week, with no pay.


That's the thing I had seen (http://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/attach ... -09acc.pdf).

I'm pretty sure firms fail points 1 and 4.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What is decent pay for 1L Summer in Midwest?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I should forward that to the firm near me that wanted 10 weeks, 40+ hours a week, with no pay.


That's the thing I had seen (http://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/attach ... -09acc.pdf).

I'm pretty sure firms fail points 1 and 4.



If they bill out your time they fail.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What is decent pay for 1L Summer in Midwest?

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If they bill out your time they fail.


Even if they don't I still think they fail. The pdf makes the point that someone doing normal office work (e.g. copying, faxing, etc) generally fails point 1 and I think firms would be hard pressed to argue that their summer law clerks do something more school-like than that. I also think that even if they are losing money on the law clerk by not billing it that they are still deriving a benefit from the law clerk and fail point 4.

As noted above though, it's not like firms are going to get caught doing this and tons of them do it.

User avatar
2LsAPlenty
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 am

Re: What is decent pay for 1L Summer in Midwest?

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:09 pm

So is the consensus about $ 15 for a 1L and up to $ 25 for a 2L, excepting out the mega firms?

HWS08
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am

Re: What is decent pay for 1L Summer in Midwest?

Postby HWS08 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:17 am

I would be happy to make pretty much anything above minimum wage as a 1L. Are there really so many paying options out there that you are worried you aren't being paid enough by whoever has offered you a position? Most of my classmates at my T30 have not found paid jobs. I think I only know of one person so far who has.

I've seen a few small firms posting those "unpaid internships" or offering to pay one lump "stipend" at the end of the summer. They both seem like sketchy practices to me and I won't apply for those positions. If you do something unpaid you might as well work for a gov't agency/non-profit organization so you can at least try to get grant funding or public interest stipend funds (assuming your school has such a thing). That's not an option if you do an unpaid internship with a for-profit entity.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.