How many 2Ls at a t10 are still jobless? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: How many 2Ls at a t10 are still jobless?

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:37 pm

paglababa wrote:Um whats T10? I can tell HYS, T6, and T14.

I'm assuming Cornell and George town are excluded. Other 2?
GTFO 0L

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Oh, hey, it's another anecdata pissing match.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:31 pm

For secondaries? Totally depends on the secondary. Cornell and GULC probably don't do well in any secondaries (Cornell only does well in NY, GULC nowhere). I doubt that Duke is very mobile to say St. Louis, but it probably does well in Memphis. Berkeley is probably bad for Atlanta but great for Seattle. NW might do well in Indianapolis and bad in Phoenix. Not like there is a list of 10 schools that universally do well in all major markets and secondaries.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:41 pm

2014 wrote:For secondaries? Totally depends on the secondary. Cornell and GULC probably don't do well in any secondaries (Cornell only does well in NY, GULC nowhere). I doubt that Duke is very mobile to say St. Louis, but it probably does well in Memphis. Berkeley is probably bad for Atlanta but great for Seattle. NW might do well in Indianapolis and bad in Phoenix. Not like there is a list of 10 schools that universally do well in all major markets and secondaries.
Duke is mobile to St. Louis.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:34 am

paglababa wrote:Um whats T10? I can tell HYS, T6, and T14.

I'm assuming Cornell and George town are excluded. Other 2?
stop

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2014 wrote:For secondaries? Totally depends on the secondary. Cornell and GULC probably don't do well in any secondaries (Cornell only does well in NY, GULC nowhere). I doubt that Duke is very mobile to say St. Louis, but it probably does well in Memphis. Berkeley is probably bad for Atlanta but great for Seattle. NW might do well in Indianapolis and bad in Phoenix. Not like there is a list of 10 schools that universally do well in all major markets and secondaries.
TY for correcting my egregious mistake in my city pairings pulled out of my ass. You have done the board a fine service.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:24 pm

2014 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TY for correcting my egregious mistake in my city pairings pulled out of my ass. You have done the board a fine service.
My point wasn't to nit-pick, though I do agree your "city pairings" were pulled out of your ass. My point is that you seem to be making an assertion with zero evidence, other than, hey, this sounds like it could be right. I could counter your naked assertion with my anecdotal evidence that, at Duke, nearly everyone I know who was at or above median and who wanted a secondary market (including markets far removed from the south and northeast) was able to get it. Does this prove that T14s are good for secondary markets? Or that Duke is special? Or that we should stop making assertions that lack substance, before we all end up looking stupid?

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:29 pm

At risk of contributing too much to a debate over anecdotes, I think the optimistic people in this thread that keep harping on their data points that everyone they know got all the secondary markets they wanted are missing the point that many others are making, which is: not everyone with good grades from T14, or even T6, or HYS (there was one above median HYSer here that said they couldn't get their secondary market) can make it back to their preferred secondary market. Anecdotes can prove this fact. They can't prove that above median at Duke means you get jobs in whatever market you want, so there is just less use to bringing anecdotes like that into the equation.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:32 pm

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:At risk of contributing too much to a debate over anecdotes, I think the optimistic people in this thread that keep harping on their data points that everyone they know got all the secondary markets they wanted are missing the point that many others are making, which is: not everyone with good grades from T14, or even T6, or HYS (there was one above median HYSer here that said they couldn't get their secondary market) can make it back to their preferred secondary market. Anecdotes can prove this fact. They can't prove that above median at Duke means you get jobs in whatever market you want, so there is just less use to bringing anecdotes like that into the equation.
To be fair, though, I know of many people who know of no one that was not able to get to a secondary market from the T6 and Duke.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:49 pm

run26.2 wrote:
oblig.lawl.ref wrote:At risk of contributing too much to a debate over anecdotes, I think the optimistic people in this thread that keep harping on their data points that everyone they know got all the secondary markets they wanted are missing the point that many others are making, which is: not everyone with good grades from T14, or even T6, or HYS (there was one above median HYSer here that said they couldn't get their secondary market) can make it back to their preferred secondary market. Anecdotes can prove this fact. They can't prove that above median at Duke means you get jobs in whatever market you want, so there is just less use to bringing anecdotes like that into the equation.
To be fair, though, I know of many people who know of no one that was not able to get to a secondary market from the T6 and Duke.
To be even fairer, 75% of Duke Law students I know are jobless. Therefore, I think it's reasonable to surmise that Duke's reputation among employers is tanking.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:04 am

My whole point was not to bicker about anecdotes but to say that T10 was a meaningless distinction because someone was looking for a firm cutoff on what "T10" meant. My point is for any given market it is different. Whether the "T10" for St. Louis encompasses Duke is something i don't care about and if the "T10" for Memphis is actually only 8 schools or for Boston is 11 is also cool w/ me. It's just a term that usually conveys HYSCCN + a few extras that usually have good access to a market.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:07 am

2014 wrote:My whole point was not to bicker about anecdotes but to say that T10 was a meaningless distinction because someone was looking for a firm cutoff on what "T10" meant. My point is for any given market it is different. Whether the "T10" for St. Louis encompasses Duke is something i don't care about and if the "T10" for Memphis is actually only 8 schools or for Boston is 11 is also cool w/ me. It's just a term that usually conveys HYSCCN + a few extras that usually have good access to a market.
You are trying to have a rationale discussion and make a reasonable point among a bunch of idiots. Best to spend your energy elsewhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”