Top 10% at Cardozo/BLS/SJU - Clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 10% at Cardozo/BLS/SJU - Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Is applying to a clerkship even worth it? I understand the chances of getting a federal clerkship are probably 0%. So should I even waste my time if I really want to clerk? What about chances at state judges?

Anonymous User

Re: Top 10% at Cardozo/BLS/SJU - Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:47 pm

I am a Cardozo 2L. First off, a Cardozo student would categorize itself with Saint Johns (no matter how much he or she might hate the school), so off the bat I am going to assume your from SJ or maybe BLS. That said, I can only speak for Cardozo. I don't think the chances of Federal clerkship are 0. Cardozo had 2 U.S. SC clerks in the past. While that # is tiny compared to top 14 institutions, that shows that it is not impossible. I know first hand of at least 3 3Ls with state judge clerkships lined up, and am pretty sure I heard of a few federal clerks, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a Cardozo 2L. First off, a Cardozo student would categorize itself with Saint Johns (no matter how much he or she might hate the school), so off the bat I am going to assume your from SJ or maybe BLS. That said, I can only speak for Cardozo. I don't think the chances of Federal clerkship are 0. Cardozo had 2 U.S. SC clerks in the past. While that # is tiny compared to top 14 institutions, that shows that it is not impossible. I know first hand of at least 3 3Ls with state judge clerkships lined up, and am pretty sure I heard of a few federal clerks, too.

hahaha. i just didnt want to out myself so i added other schools in NY that arent fordham, nyu or columbia, but your assumption is wrong. the reason i ask the question is b/c i think its the top 2% of the class that would get federal... so at top 10% is it worth it to send out apps. i would think it is at least to state judges....

also i think BLS and Cardozo are comparable, your probably right about SJU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Cardozo and BLS are definitely comparable with big law, but that might be because BLS's deep alumni base makes up for other deficiencies. I think Cardozo is viewed a little better academically (especially with journals), but I might just be biased.

How would you know where you rank within top 10% anyways? Registrar doesn't distinguish. That said, unless you on the border of the top 10% mark, you have a shot.

Return to “Legal Employment”