What do I want to do with my 1L Summer/career?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lisjjen

What do I want to do with my 1L Summer/career?

Postby lisjjen » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:33 pm

So I know what you do with your 1L summer doesn't really matter past that summer, so long as you do something legal. But there's one glaring exception. I have an interview with JAG in a week. I also have a couple of interviews with big law firms and with the Office of General Counsel at the Department of Housing and Urban Development. There's also a fellowship where I would split the summer working for a firm and then working for a judge. I obviously want to make a lot of money, but I also want to do something interesting before I settle into an office job.

I came in as a 0L dead set on energy, but now that I'm learning about the kind of energy stuff they do here, I find it really boring. I really dig property law. I am also highly interested in securities. I think I would like maritime law, but don't know enough about it yet. The point is, all I have are interviews right now. But I kinda want to have made up my mind before I get to any of them

rad lulz

Re: What do I want to do with my 1L Summer/career?

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:36 pm

rad lulz wrote:Admiralty is real small / probably declining bro. Ships don't crash into each other as much as they use to / as much as torts would have you believe. Srs.

Dangit. Maybe I could go into torts, specializing in defending farmers who steal foxes from aristocrats during a hunt.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:Admiralty is real small / probably declining bro. Ships don't crash into each other as much as they use to / as much as torts would have you believe. Srs.

I dunno, things seem dicey as of late. There was that ship that lost power for weeks in the Pacific and the recent fiasco in Europe.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:42 pm

I am under the impression it doesn't matter what we do this summer so just go try out whatever you find the most interesting.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:02 am

lisjjen wrote:

Dangit. Maybe I could go into torts, specializing in defending farmers who steal foxes from aristocrats during a hunt.
Aren't you at UT? Definitely take admiralty with Robertson and/or Sturley -- they are beasts in that field. It's way more than collision law, which according to Robertson is basically traffic law, and I highly doubt it's in as much decline as the poster above says. If you're at all interested in personal injury on either side (Jones Act/unseaworthiness/M&C, LWCHA, DOHSA, etc.), that's where I'd think the money's at. The field itself is kind of the mutant offspring of civ pro, torts, Ks, and employment law. Fascinating stuff.

Look to Houston firms for maritime work, talk to those two profs about career opportunities, and take their classes. But you really don't need to pick a specialty yet, and no one expects you to.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:18 am

philosoraptor wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Aren't you at UT? Definitely take admiralty with Robertson and/or Sturley -- they are beasts in that field. It's way more than collision law, which according to Robertson is basically traffic law, and I highly doubt it's in as much decline as the poster above says. If you're at all interested in personal injury on either side (Jones Act/unseaworthiness/M&C, LWCHA, DOHSA, etc.), that's where I'd think the money's at. The field itself is kind of the mutant offspring of civ pro, torts, Ks, and employment law. Fascinating stuff.

Look to Houston firms for maritime work, talk to those two profs about career opportunities, and take their classes. But you really don't need to pick a specialty yet, and no one expects you to.

I have Robertson for torts right now. He brings his guitar and sings to us in class. He is also one of the people who works on the restatements. There's a connection but I can't see it.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:12 pm

lisjjen wrote:I have Robertson for torts right now. He brings his guitar and sings to us in class. He is also one of the people who works on the restatements. There's a connection but I can't see it.
Connection? All I'm saying is if you're interested in admiralty, talk to him.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:18 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I have Robertson for torts right now. He brings his guitar and sings to us in class. He is also one of the people who works on the restatements. There's a connection but I can't see it.
Connection? All I'm saying is if you're interested in admiralty, talk to him.

Obviously. I was making a joke.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:36 pm

lisjjen wrote:Obviously. I was making a joke.
Ah.

Forgot to mention, the downside is that the ratio of torts songs to admiralty songs is about 10:1. :(

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:38 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Obviously. I was making a joke.
Ah.

Forgot to mention, the downside is that the ratio of torts songs to admiralty songs is about 10:1. :(

Which really is a shame, because I would want to hear old sailor tunes.

handsonthewheel

Postby handsonthewheel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:20 pm

What's the point in making up your mind before you go to an interview?

How about you apply broadly and when you have offers for summer jobs, then weigh the interest and experience.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:24 pm

handsonthewheel wrote:What's the point in making up your mind before you go to an interview?

How about you apply broadly and when you have offers for summer jobs, then weigh the interest and experience.

I think the point is that every firms asks which practice group you're interested in. They've asked me that in every one of my interviews and I usually pick their two strongest ones and have a good answer as to why I like them. I then follow up with a discussion of how I'm only a 1L and that I'm not fixated on only those two areas and more than willing to work in other practice groups. I think OP is trying to research areas to be able to have a good answer to that question, as opposed to locking himself into a career path today.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:58 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
handsonthewheel wrote:What's the point in making up your mind before you go to an interview?

I think the point is that every firms asks which practice group you're interested in. They've asked me that in every one of my interviews and I usually pick their two strongest ones and have a good answer as to why I like them. I then follow up with a discussion of how I'm only a 1L and that I'm not fixated on only those two areas and more than willing to work in other practice groups. I think OP is trying to research areas to be able to have a good answer to that question, as opposed to locking himself into a career path today.

Which in Texas, the answer is always oil.

handsonthewheel

Postby handsonthewheel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:25 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

As a 1L in an interview, there are very few ways to "lock himself into a career path today" without trying and knowing how.

1L summer job is there to show that you could get it and so you have something to talk about during 2L OCI.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:57 pm

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:05 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

btw, who is this 0L who has invoked the name of the great and venerable RadLaw only to post largely inane and useless information?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:18 pm

rad lulz wrote:
lisjjen wrote:btw, who is this 0L who has invoked the name of the great and venerable RadLaw only to post largely inane and useless information?

Maybe I'm not an 0L

You're obviously an 0L, you don't even have a hundred poasts.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:18 pm

lisjjen wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

btw, who is this 0L who has invoked the name of the great and venerable RadLaw only to post largely inane and useless information?

:lol:

I'd say those poasting characteristics embody the legendary rad law quite aptly

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:18 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
lisjjen wrote:btw, who is this 0L who has invoked the name of the great and venerable RadLaw only to post largely inane and useless information?

Maybe I'm not an 0L

You're obviously an 0L, you don't even have a hundred poasts.

You are going to be an incredible lawyer

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:20 pm

rad lulz wrote:Maybe I'm not an 0L

We have strayed a long ways away from the original point. All I'm saying is that Rad Law was an institution. You have 90 something posts. I suppose the relevant sentiment here is the same as compels teams to retire a revered player's number.
Last edited by lisjjen on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:21 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:You're obviously an 0L, you don't even have a hundred poasts.

You are going to be an incredible lawyer

You really think so?? :D

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”