Summer 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cubyfan21
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Summer 2012

Postby Cubyfan21 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:23 pm

I am just wondering how things ended up for 2L's this upcoming summer. I am at a top 14 and am wondering how deep firms went into the classes and when data comes out on the job market. Are things starting to improve?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Cubyfan21 wrote:I am just wondering how things ended up for 2L's this upcoming summer. I am at a top 14 and am wondering how deep firms went into the classes and when data comes out on the job market. Are things starting to improve?

It would help if you were a tad more specific in your questions. Impossible to answer these because they are so vague.

In very broad brushstrokes, I'd say it was better, especially at T14s. Some of the megafirms hired a lot more, while most other firms held steady or increased their summer size slightly. It wasn't a big jump by any means, but seemed better than last year's slaughter of an OCI. At least that was my impression based on my owners observations and and conversations. Others may feel differently.

Cubyfan21
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby Cubyfan21 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Sorry for the vaugeness, I was just curious. I guess I am expecting to end up close to median, maybe right above or right below depending on this semester at MVP. The markets I am most interested in are D.C., Dallas, or Midwest. I want to do transactional work and do not care about firm prestige as long as I make close to market and like the firm. I will have about 80 to 90 K and am just a little nervous about paying that off.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby traehekat » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Cubyfan21 wrote:I am just wondering how things ended up for 2L's this upcoming summer. I am at a top 14 and am wondering how deep firms went into the classes and when data comes out on the job market. Are things starting to improve?

It would help if you were a tad more specific in your questions. Impossible to answer these because they are so vague.

In very broad brushstrokes, I'd say it was better, especially at T14s. Some of the megafirms hired a lot more, while most other firms held steady or increased their summer size slightly. It wasn't a big jump by any means, but seemed better than last year's slaughter of an OCI. At least that was my impression based on my owners observations and and conversations. Others may feel differently.


From what I have seen I would say this is a solid assessment.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Cubyfan21 wrote:Sorry for the vaugeness, I was just curious. I guess I am expecting to end up close to median, maybe right above or right below depending on this semester at MVP. The markets I am most interested in are D.C., Dallas, or Midwest. I want to do transactional work and do not care about firm prestige as long as I make close to market and like the firm. I will have about 80 to 90 K and am just a little nervous about paying that off.

Keep working hard and network. Do you have Dallas ties? That market was very kind to our students.

Being above median will help a lot, but you are in good shape so far.

Cubyfan21
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby Cubyfan21 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:11 pm

I don't have family ties, but my wife and I have multiple college friends who live there. I have begun to reach out to the firms and just express my interest to attorneys I meet who work in Dallas. But, ya, thanks for the advice, I was just curious as to how things ended turning out seeing that most of the hiring for next summer is already done.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:12 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:Median at MVP? You could hit biglaw. You could strike out. You're not an "autoadmit" at any firms by any means.

I agree, but I think most people at MVP with median grades will land something solid if they are personable, interview well, and employ a sound job search strategy.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 pm

I've heard rumors that although hiring was up, most of it was speculative and we might see another no offer slaughter if business doesn't pick up.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby Guchster » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Cubyfan21 wrote:I don't have family ties, but my wife and I have multiple college friends who live there. I have begun to reach out to the firms and just express my interest to attorneys I meet who work in Dallas. But, ya, thanks for the advice, I was just curious as to how things ended turning out seeing that most of the hiring for next summer is already done.


Dallas was pretty brutal about ties during my callbacks--I got harassed by hiring partners cuz my all family is from Houston and other cities near Dallas, which wasn't convincing enough. I had to really work my story and play up my Texas lurve and connections, and I'm a pretty solid liar.

Start working on something better than "we have college friends in the area" for this question.
Last edited by Guchster on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:17 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby beachbum » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:28 pm

Based on what I can tell, median seemed pretty safe around here, assuming you enjoy the sights and sounds of NYC.

Also, lol @ this rad lulz and his 24 posts trying to sound all authoritative. Come back when you've spent some serious time on TLS, bro.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:29 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby Guchster » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:30 pm

beachbum wrote:Based on what I can tell, median seemed pretty safe around here, assuming you enjoy the sights and sounds of NYC.

Also, lol @ this rad lulz and his 24 posts trying to sound all authoritative. Come back when you've spent some serious time on TLS, bro.


24 + 15,000

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:31 pm

Guchster wrote:
beachbum wrote:Based on what I can tell, median seemed pretty safe around here, assuming you enjoy the sights and sounds of NYC.

Also, lol @ this rad lulz and his 24 posts trying to sound all authoritative. Come back when you've spent some serious time on TLS, bro.


24 + 15,000

I wish I had 15k poasts. Preftigiouf.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby 20130312 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:31 pm

beachbum wrote:Also, lol @ this rad lulz and his 24 posts trying to sound all authoritative. Come back when you've spent some serious time on TLS, bro.


Can't tell if srs.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby beachbum » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:34 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
beachbum wrote:Also, lol @ this rad lulz and his 24 posts trying to sound all authoritative. Come back when you've spent some serious time on TLS, bro.


Can't tell if srs.


?? Dude is almost certainly an 0L. Hell, he just joined today. If he had a couple hundred, or fifteen thousand, posts I'd probably take him a little more seriously.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:39 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby 20130312 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:43 pm

ITT, we measure others opinions by the poaster's number of poasts.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:43 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawMan20
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby LawMan20 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:27 am

rad lulz wrote:MOAR poasts = bigger epeen


Not only is he lacking in the poast quantity department, but he also seems like a huge douche. I'm with beachbum; ignore this clown.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Summer 2012

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:48 am

Guchster wrote:Dallas was pretty brutal about ties during my callbacks--I got harassed by hiring partners cuz my all family is from Houston and other cities near Dallas, which wasn't convincing enough. I had to really work my story and play up my Texas lurve and connections, and I'm a pretty solid liar.

They were probably being brutal because you were lying and "working your story". Folks in Texas know what bullshit smells like.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Summer 2012

Postby Guchster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:06 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Guchster wrote:Dallas was pretty brutal about ties during my callbacks--I got harassed by hiring partners cuz my all family is from Houston and other cities near Dallas, which wasn't convincing enough. I had to really work my story and play up my Texas lurve and connections, and I'm a pretty solid liar.

They were probably being brutal because you were lying and "working your story". Folks in Texas know what bullshit smells like.


This is certainly credited. Which is why I think OP better figure out something better than college friends as a legitimate basis for wanting to work in Dallas.

Having family simply close by Dallas didn't seem to be enough at some firms, until I worked some of other bullshit about missing family and wanting to be with in Dallas for "X,Y, and Z" reasons. The drama worked though, cuz I got offers at these places. Wouldn't have if I didn't come prepared with something else.

User avatar
UnitarySpace
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Summer 2012

Postby UnitarySpace » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:09 am

rad lulz wrote:
Guchster wrote:
beachbum wrote:Based on what I can tell, median seemed pretty safe around here, assuming you enjoy the sights and sounds of NYC.

Also, lol @ this rad lulz and his 24 posts trying to sound all authoritative. Come back when you've spent some serious time on TLS, bro.


24 + 15,000

I wish I had 15k poasts. Preftigiouf.


That's not preftigious. Long s is only to be used at beginning or middle of the word, not at the end.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.