When is it appropriate to begin Applying for 2013 2L SA jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

When is it appropriate to begin Applying for 2013 2L SA jobs

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Hello, I am planning to apply to 2 markets that are not represented at all by my MVP fall OCI program...when in the summer is it appropriate to being applying if the firm does not state a specific time beyond "summer or fall?"

Is there any downside to applying June 1 as opposed to July 1 as opposed to August 15 for instance?

Obviously I would also wait until my final spring grades are released as well.

2LLLL
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: When is it appropriate to begin Applying for 2013 2L SA jobs

Postby 2LLLL » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:27 pm

What benefit would there be to applying June 1 as opposed to July or August 1?

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: When is it appropriate to begin Applying for 2013 2L SA jobs

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Yes, it does matter. June 1 they are still on-boarding their 2012 SA class and you may not have all your grades yet. August 15 they may be at other schools' OCI, other schools will have sent their resume books and students will have cold-applied. July 1 isn't good because everyone is getting ready to leave for the holiday. The third or fourth business day back from the July 4th holiday is probably the sweet spot. Make sure to keep track of who replies and who doesn't reply and send a follow-up email in August to no-replies reminding them of your interest and application.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: When is it appropriate to begin Applying for 2013 2L SA jobs

Postby ran12 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:29 pm

June 1st is way too early. Firms say July or Aug and are somewhat vague about it. I think the best time to apply is a couple weeks before firms start OCI.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: When is it appropriate to begin Applying for 2013 2L SA jobs

Postby keg411 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello, I am planning to apply to 2 markets that are not represented at all by my MVP fall OCI program...when in the summer is it appropriate to being applying if the firm does not state a specific time beyond "summer or fall?"

Is there any downside to applying June 1 as opposed to July 1 as opposed to August 15 for instance?

Obviously I would also wait until my final spring grades are released as well.


Best advice for applying to jobs outside of OCI:
1) April/May-ish: starting contact alumni at firms to see if they'll meet and talk to you while you're in their city over the summer; just say you generally want to talk about working at a firm
2) June-ish: meet with the alumni from your school, get information about the firms to use in cover letters (and if they like you, they may offer to pass along your information)
3) Mid-late July: start mailings

Usually firms won't start interviewing until after the present summer program is over -- which is usually the last week in July-first week in August. And you can also do #1 and #2 for firms that are coming to OCI. I didn't starting mailing until the first week of August last year and I was okay, but I wish I had started about a week or so earlier.

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: When is it appropriate to begin Applying for 2013 2L SA jobs

Postby jeeptiger09 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:59 pm

July 15 is probably the earliest.

Also, a word of warning, make sure everything is done and out by August 15, or you'll be screwed (unless looking at Southern Secondary Markets, then the time frame is slightly delayed).

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: When is it appropriate to begin Applying for 2013 2L SA jobs

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:02 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:July 15 is probably the earliest.

Also, a word of warning, make sure everything is done and out by August 15, or you'll be screwed (unless looking at Southern Secondary Markets, then the time frame is slightly delayed).


Yeah, by August 15th resume books, OCIs and mass mailings have swamped firms with so many resumes that I suspect they are having secretaries toss out anything without a high GPA/target school/(URM|IP) in bold 16 point font.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: When is it appropriate to begin Applying for 2013 2L SA jobs

Postby keg411 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:10 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:July 15 is probably the earliest.

Also, a word of warning, make sure everything is done and out by August 15, or you'll be screwed (unless looking at Southern Secondary Markets, then the time frame is slightly delayed).


Yeah, by August 15th resume books, OCIs and mass mailings have swamped firms with so many resumes that I suspect they are having secretaries toss out anything without a high GPA/target school/(URM|IP) in bold 16 point font.


I got a couple of firm interviews fairly late in the game from mass mail follow-ups, but I had two of the four factors you mention that secretaries won't toss.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: When is it appropriate to begin Applying for 2013 2L SA jobs

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:31 pm

keg411 wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:July 15 is probably the earliest.

Also, a word of warning, make sure everything is done and out by August 15, or you'll be screwed (unless looking at Southern Secondary Markets, then the time frame is slightly delayed).


Yeah, by August 15th resume books, OCIs and mass mailings have swamped firms with so many resumes that I suspect they are having secretaries toss out anything without a high GPA/target school/(URM|IP) in bold 16 point font.


I got a couple of firm interviews fairly late in the game from mass mail follow-ups, but I had two of the four factors you mention that secretaries won't toss.


I did as well, but it's also a numbers game. As the season goes on, they can move the bar higher and higher as they feel out the number and quality of applications they get. A firm that has filled up its callback slots from OCI/books can be picky about who else it lets in the door.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: When is it appropriate to begin Applying for 2013 2L SA jobs

Postby dreakol » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:52 pm

did you guys snail mail or email?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.