How to prepare for an interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

How to prepare for an interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:26 pm

I have an interview with a firm through OCI next week. I'm a 1L with no previous interview experience for serious jobs. Should I just be prepared to answer any questions about my resume and maybe some situational questions, and other than that just be myself? Also, I know I should research the firm and have questions prepared. What types of questions should I be looking to ask?

Any advice/info is appreciated. Thanks

User avatar
Bobby Dazzler
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 am

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Prepare a 30 second spiel about yourself and try to include 2-3 relevant strengths applicable to that employer. You could say something along the lines of: "Well, I grew up and went to college in X city (show ties to employer's location), and after college I gained experience in the accounting department of X (relevant strength), and now I'm in law school pursuing an interest in law and entrepreneurship (another relevant strength). Practice this spiel in front of the mirror or with a friend until it rolls of your tongue naturally and confidently.

Next, take a look at your resume and write down questions you would ask about each item that's on it. For example, why did you choose to come to law school as a geography major? Or, I see that you were the captain of your lacrosse team, what did you learn from that? Try to tie your answers into what the employer would find relevant and, if possible, prepare interesting stories. For example, I see that you used to be an office manager, tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult employee.

Next, prepare 3-4 reasons why you want to work for that employer and bring them up either if the employer asks or weave them into your answers. For example, if they tell you how many attorneys work in their office, you could say that's one of the qualities you like about the firm (works whether it's big, which means tons of resources, or small, which means more responsibility). Whatever you do, don't tell them you want to do X if they don't have that kind of practice.

Finally, and this is absolutely crucial, prepare 3-5 thoughtful questions about the firm and the interviewer. For example, I see that you are an alumni of my college, how did you end up at this employer? Could you give me some examples of projects that past law clerks have worked on? You could ask what the next step in the interview process is and when they hope to get back to you. If you feel ambitious, you can try to look up recent news about the employer and ask about that as well. The key thing with questions is to not ask anything that would be obvious from their website, so don't ask where they have offices or how many attorneys work there.

Hope this helps. I know it's a lot of work, but after a few interviews it barely takes any time to prepare. I recommend reading the interview section of Guerrilla Tactics if you haven't already. Look it up on Amazon or in your library. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:13 pm

put yourself in good mood. bad spirit will drown you.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Pee beforehand.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Bobby Dazzler wrote: For example, I see that you are an alumni of my college, how did you end up at this employer?


One person cannot be an alumni as that is plural. One can be an alumnus (male) or an alumna (female). All all-female group of graduates would be alumnae. Such a group of all men or of mixed gender are alumni. Please don't make this mistake. I makes you sound like an idiot if you do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Have a bourbon beforehand, it'll loosen you up and the employer will know you mean business.

User avatar
Bobby Dazzler
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 am

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:31 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
Bobby Dazzler wrote: For example, I see that you are an alumni of my college, how did you end up at this employer?


One person cannot be an alumni as that is plural. One can be an alumnus (male) or an alumna (female). All all-female group of graduates would be alumnae. Such a group of all men or of mixed gender are alumni. Please don't make this mistake. I makes you sound like an idiot if you do.

My bad, you're absolutely correct.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:32 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
Bobby Dazzler wrote: For example, I see that you are an alumni of my college, how did you end up at this employer?


One person cannot be an alumni as that is plural. One can be an alumnus (male) or an alumna (female). All all-female group of graduates would be alumnae. Such a group of all men or of mixed gender are alumni. Please don't make this mistake. I makes you sound like an idiot if you do.

be sure to correct the interviewer if he or she makes this mistake. it is a test.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:04 pm

fatduck wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
Bobby Dazzler wrote: For example, I see that you are an alumni of my college, how did you end up at this employer?


One person cannot be an alumni as that is plural. One can be an alumnus (male) or an alumna (female). All all-female group of graduates would be alumnae. Such a group of all men or of mixed gender are alumni. Please don't make this mistake. I makes you sound like an idiot if you do.

be sure to correct the interviewer if he or she makes this mistake. it is a test.


Always.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have a bourbon beforehand, it'll loosen you up and the employer will know you mean business.

Take the bourbon in a hip flask and drink it during the interview. They want to see you demonstrating the skills you'll need as a lawyer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Bobby Dazzler wrote:Prepare a 30 second spiel about yourself and try to include 2-3 relevant strengths applicable to that employer. You could say something along the lines of: "Well, I grew up and went to college in X city (show ties to employer's location), and after college I gained experience in the accounting department of X (relevant strength), and now I'm in law school pursuing an interest in law and entrepreneurship (another relevant strength). Practice this spiel in front of the mirror or with a friend until it rolls of your tongue naturally and confidently.

Next, take a look at your resume and write down questions you would ask about each item that's on it. For example, why did you choose to come to law school as a geography major? Or, I see that you were the captain of your lacrosse team, what did you learn from that? Try to tie your answers into what the employer would find relevant and, if possible, prepare interesting stories. For example, I see that you used to be an office manager, tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult employee.

Next, prepare 3-4 reasons why you want to work for that employer and bring them up either if the employer asks or weave them into your answers. For example, if they tell you how many attorneys work in their office, you could say that's one of the qualities you like about the firm (works whether it's big, which means tons of resources, or small, which means more responsibility). Whatever you do, don't tell them you want to do X if they don't have that kind of practice.

Finally, and this is absolutely crucial, prepare 3-5 thoughtful questions about the firm and the interviewer. For example, I see that you are an alumni of my college, how did you end up at this employer? Could you give me some examples of projects that past law clerks have worked on? You could ask what the next step in the interview process is and when they hope to get back to you. If you feel ambitious, you can try to look up recent news about the employer and ask about that as well. The key thing with questions is to not ask anything that would be obvious from their website, so don't ask where they have offices or how many attorneys work there.

Hope this helps. I know it's a lot of work, but after a few interviews it barely takes any time to prepare. I recommend reading the interview section of Guerrilla Tactics if you haven't already. Look it up on Amazon or in your library. Good luck!


Thanks for the informative response.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have a bourbon beforehand, it'll loosen you up and the employer will know you mean business.


:lol: I do this before networking events (and then brush my teeth after...) It works for some people.

Sm Firm Hiring P
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby Sm Firm Hiring P » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Dazzler get it, listen to him. I can't tell you how many times the candidates have few or no questions or just want a summer position just as a resume enhancer or to help with OCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have a bourbon beforehand, it'll loosen you up and the employer will know you mean business.


:lol: I do this before networking events (and then brush my teeth after...) It works for some people.


This is a mistake.

The faint smell of bourbon on your breath is what lets them know that you, in fact, mean business.

Without the smell you're just a student with a premature drinking problem.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.