Barbri Rep on Resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Barbri Rep on Resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:51 pm

I couldn't find a post about this through search:

Is it appropriate/ desirable to put a position as a representative for a Bar Review course (in this case Barbri) on your resume?

Anon so as not to out myself more than necessary.

de5igual

Silver

Re: Barbri Rep on Resume?

Post by de5igual » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:53 pm

include it—it is work experience, after all. although if you're hoping for it to open doors that otherwise would be closed, don't hold your breath. it's no different from being a lexis/westlaw rep.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:57 pm

f0bolous wrote:include it—it is work experience, after all. although if you're hoping for it to open doors that otherwise would be closed, don't hold your breath. it's no different from being a lexis/westlaw rep.
Sure it is- those guys get paid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I couldn't find a post about this through search:

Is it appropriate/ desirable to put a position as a representative for a Bar Review course (in this case Barbri) on your resume?

What does a rep do? Did you just try to sign students up? If so, unless you have nothing else to put on your resume than a sales position while you were in law school, then sure.

If it was something substantive, shows leadership, or something of value, then sure.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:28 pm

If you have room, sure. If it's going to make your resume 2 pages, no.

Barbri repping takes no skill at all. At least, the ones at my school just sit at the Barbri area, give away some cheap schwag and candy, and students will eventually sign up for it. But, if you've got nothing else, it shows that you're at least keeping busy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:08 am

I'm going to disagree and say you shouldn't include it unless your resume is otherwise lacking substance. It will make it seem like you're stretching just to find any experience worthy of putting on your resume and will degrade the value of your more meaningful experiences that are already on there.

choochoo

Bronze

Post by choochoo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:37 am

What if you just listed it under your law school activities rather than under the Experience section? That way it only takes one line.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:15 am

Barbri reps are worse than trash. I would trash any resume that had it on there.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Barbri reps are worse than trash. I would trash any resume that had it on there.
I don't know how it works at your school, but at mine, students spend a few hours a week tabling and get a free bar review course in return. I'm not sure how this makes them "worse than trash." Most of them sit there and study unless someone asks a question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:56 pm

I had it under Student Activities on my resume, but when I met with my career services counselor before 2L OCI she said to take it off since it was not a school sponsored activity. She suggested taking it off completely, as it is not relevant/meaningful work experience.

Being a BarBri rep is one of the greatest kept secrets in law school. A free bar review course worth $3500 (plus now that I have a job w/ stipend bonus - an additional 10K in my pocket) for an hour of standing at a table every two weeks (my school limits tabling to twice a month)? Great gig. But as far as it being worth something on your resume? No. Get rid of it.

handsonthewheel

Bronze

Post by handsonthewheel » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:21 pm

I look at this the same way I'd look at putting "retail store employee" on a legal resume.

If you have absolutely nothing else, then I guess it's not terrible. Hopefully you've done enough else of worth to otherwise fill out a resume.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Take it off.

Westlaw or Lexis rep. is okay on the resume because it's relevant, and could possibly mean that you're a solid researcher. Barbri offers you nothing on the resume.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:05 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:Take it off.

Westlaw or Lexis rep. is okay on the resume because it's relevant, and could possibly mean that you're a solid researcher. Barbri offers you nothing on the resume.
I would agree, except if you are targeting mid/small firms that you know don't pay for bar review courses. I don't know how you would convey it, but knowing that if they hire you, you are a lock to pass the bar because of a free course they don't have to pay for, might help motivate the firm. It would be a tiny tiny motivation though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bulawm

New

Post by bulawm » Sun May 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had it under Student Activities on my resume, but when I met with my career services counselor before 2L OCI she said to take it off since it was not a school sponsored activity. She suggested taking it off completely, as it is not relevant/meaningful work experience.

Being a BarBri rep is one of the greatest kept secrets in law school. A free bar review course worth $3500 (plus now that I have a job w/ stipend bonus - an additional 10K in my pocket) for an hour of standing at a table every two weeks (my school limits tabling to twice a month)? Great gig. But as far as it being worth something on your resume? No. Get rid of it.
Hi, would you mind explaining the stipend bonus, how the part time job came to $10,000? Thanks!

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Sun May 05, 2013 7:48 pm

+1
bdubs wrote:I'm going to disagree and say you shouldn't include it unless your resume is otherwise lacking substance. It will make it seem like you're stretching just to find any experience worthy of putting on your resume and will degrade the value of your more meaningful experiences that are already on there.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Barbri reps are worse than trash. I would trash any resume that had it on there.
Wow I had a bug up my ass on Feb 18 or something.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:03 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same way.
I still think it's gross, worse than trash is a bit far.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sun May 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:11 pm

I would only list it if applying to employers who did not pay for a course and I had tons of white space. Knowing a person is taking a free course that basically ensures they pass will reduce the risk of hiring a bar failure by a tiny tiny amount.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I couldn't find a post about this through search:

No. Please don't do this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”