Negotiating 1L salary

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Negotiating 1L salary

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:01 pm

I've just recieved two offers for 1L summer from firms in my home market . Firm A involves a 45 minute commute, but is willing to pay 1500 a week. Firm B, where I would rather work, has no commute, but is paying a little over 200 dollars less a week. I know where I want to be, but I am concerned about passing up more than 2000 dollars of compensation that could go towards loans. Is it appropriate for a 1L to try to negotiate on salary?

Also, Firm B's offer letter specifies that it is based on its first year associate salary.

de5igual

Re: Negotiating 1L salary

Postby de5igual » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 pm

if it's a firm with a structured summer program, then salaries are fixed.

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:14 pm

I wouldn't even ask for a couple reasons...

1. $2,000 isn't that much money compared to student debt and starting salary of law firms. Just choose one.
2. Your pay is based on the firm's first year associate salary, and I think most law firms don't negotiate salaries with first year associates. If that's true, they won't negotiate with a 1L.
3. If I'd like to work for firm B after law school, then I wouldn't risk looking like an entitled brat by asking for more money and then not getting an offer from them for my 2L summer.

But you've got two great offers. That's pretty awesome.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:23 pm

the risk:reward is pretty bad here. just take the firm you like better and collect the $.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, Firm B's offer letter specifies that it is based on its first year associate salary.

You want to work at a firm which pays its first year associates $10,400? That sounds awful. Much better to take the place where the salary you would start at is at least reasonable.

ETA: Clearly misread the OP. I don't think 200/week difference is worth trying to negotiate over.
Last edited by bdubs on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:44 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, Firm B's offer letter specifies that it is based on its first year associate salary.

You want to work at a firm which pays its first year associates $10,400? That sounds awful. Much better to take the place where the salary you would start at is at least reasonable.

You misread OP's post -- it's $200 less per week, not $200/week. Total salary is $67,600 vs. $78,000. All that said, OP, you can't negotiate your salary if its based on what they pay first years. Pick firm or money, you can't really have both here.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:44 pm

bdubs wrote:

law student math fail

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:45 pm

hurldes wrote:I wouldn't even ask for a couple reasons...

1. $2,000 isn't that much money compared to student debt and starting salary of law firms. Just choose one.
2. Your pay is based on the firm's first year associate salary, and I think most law firms don't negotiate salaries with first year associates. If that's true, they won't negotiate with a 1L.
3. If I'd like to work for firm B after law school, then I wouldn't risk looking like an entitled brat by asking for more money and then not getting an offer from them for my 2L summer.

But you've got two great offers. That's pretty awesome.

My thoughts exactly. Pick the one you like best. $2000 over the summer or even $10k/year is pretty minimal compared to being at a place you'd like better.

istara

Postby istara » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Personally, I'm feeling bitter with having top grades and no offers yet (even unpaid), so I'm going to say just be delighted that you have a paying gig at this point and don't ruin it by sounding ungrateful to the firm that hired you.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Last edited by leobowski on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lil Kev

Postby Lil Kev » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:47 pm

f0bolous wrote:
bdubs wrote:

law student math fail

Hah, serious math fail.

Sounds like a typical secondary market/mid law salary, which isn't bad at all. Starting salary probably in the 50-70K range or something around there.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:52 pm

f0bolous wrote:law student math fail

Lil Kev wrote:Hah, serious math fail.

It's clearly an RC and not a math fail (if it's actually a math fail, there's some serious problems). Do we have a term to describe when someone fails at figuring out whether a post is a math or RC fail?

Sm Firm Hiring P

Postby Sm Firm Hiring P » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Pick the one you like the best and feel you have the best shot for possible permanent employment. Look up their associates and see how many spent their summers at the firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”