Finding info about circuit courts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Finding info about circuit courts

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm going to be interning for a Circuit Court judge (not 9th, 7th nor 2nd district) and I'm trying to find information on the Court and the Judge. Mainly if the circuit is mostly liberal, conservative, etc. and the same with my judge, there just doesnt seem to be a lot of info outside of the bigger circuits.

Thanks!

traydeuce

Re: Finding info about circuit courts

Postby traydeuce » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:47 pm

This won't matter to you, or at least it won't matter in the way you think it does. Odds are most of your internship will involve habeas/sentencing, so what actually matters is how your judge feels about that - which does not necessarily map onto left-right dichotomies. That said, just PM me with your judge/circuit and I'll probably be able to speak to him/her and the circuit, having spent an enormous amount of time basically researching every coa judge out there for my clerkship apps. (I could suggest you look at almanac of the judiciary but it's pretty worthless.)

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:18 pm

If you have the time/inclination/neurosis, you can run a terms and connectors search on Westlaw to find opinions written by your judge.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:30 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:If you have the time/inclination/neurosis, you can run a terms and connectors search on Westlaw to find opinions written by your judge.

Yup, just ju(name) after you narrow by the circuit.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:19 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:If you have the time/inclination/neurosis, you can run a terms and connectors search on Westlaw to find opinions written by your judge.

A pretty tough way for a 1L to figure out his judge's leanings. Even your average, say, 6th circuit liberal is going to reach what one could call a conservative result much more often than not. Maybe the quickest way to do this is to search for your judge's dissents [Frankfurter /s dissenting] and see where they come out. The harder a case (and the fact that a case isn't unanimous usually suggests it's a hard case), the more a judge's leanings emerge.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:06 am

traydeuce wrote:

A pretty tough way for a 1L to figure out his judge's leanings. Even your average, say, 6th circuit liberal is going to reach what one could call a conservative result much more often than not. Maybe the quickest way to do this is to search for your judge's dissents [Frankfurter /s dissenting] and see where they come out. The harder a case (and the fact that a case isn't unanimous usually suggests it's a hard case), the more a judge's leanings emerge.

You can just do DIS(lastname) to get dissenting opinions.

Return to “Legal Employment”