Where do you put your extra-curriculars? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
theLawbringer

New

Where do you put your extra-curriculars?

Post by theLawbringer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:47 am

On your resume, where do you put your extra curriculars? I have two sections on my resume: education and work experience. On my education section, I have an entry for the law school. In bullet points below that entry I have the things I do there- law school clubs, journal and moot court activities, gpa, etc. If I have an activity that is in absolutely no way related to law, but is nonetheless something I do on campus (on-campus theatre group, for example) would you put that under a 'law school' section or create a personal & interests section and put it there? Or is this a stylistic thing?

Thanks!

PARTY

Bronze

Re: Where do you put your extra-curriculars?

Post by PARTY » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:51 am

can't tell if serious,

or trolling.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:53 am

I have the following sections: Education, Achievements (all academic related), Experience (for work stuff), Leadership (where I only list work related extracurriculars where I was an officer of some sort), and Interests (all non-work related). So in my format, I'd put the non-law related extracurriculars under interests, but not really have any bullets or explanations. It just makes you a more interesting candidate so that interviewers have something they can (and will) ask you about.

theLawbringer

New

Post by theLawbringer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:00 pm

PARTY wrote:can't tell if serious,

or trolling.
Name (theLawbringer) is tongue in cheek. Question is serious. I put it on my resume because it's mildly differentiating and a talkimg point. Advantage of putting it under law school section is that it shows I am engaging in the school culture beyond just showing up to class. Advantage of putting it under personal is that it shows I know that theatre has nothing to do with law school and is instead a personal interest.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:01 pm

did you really not think of adding a section?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theLawbringer

New

Post by theLawbringer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:03 pm

PARTY wrote:did you really not think of adding a section?
Read the 2nd to last sentence of the op.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Seems like its a personal preference question but I would put it under law school. My theory is that that section is the one that a reviewer will pay most attention to when reading tons of resumes. Interests etc may be disregarded.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:06 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Seems like its a personal preference question but I would put it under law school. My theory is that that section is the one that a reviewer will pay most attention to when reading tons of resumes. Interests etc may be disregarded.
If you are brought in for an interview, no section will be disregarded. That's the point of the interests section. It gives you and the interviewer something to chat about that's on YOUR turf, to make you feel more comfortable.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:24 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:Seems like its a personal preference question but I would put it under law school. My theory is that that section is the one that a reviewer will pay most attention to when reading tons of resumes. Interests etc may be disregarded.
If you are brought in for an interview, no section will be disregarded. That's the point of the interests section. It gives you and the interviewer something to chat about that's on YOUR turf, to make you feel more comfortable.

I agree. IF you are brought in for an interview. OP seems to want to show potential interviewers that he is "engaging in the school culture beyond just showing up to class."

If he feels this is something that will help him get an interview, shouldn't he put it in the place a reviewer will most likely see it? If its just a conversation piece, Interests makes sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:28 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

I agree. IF you are brought in for an interview. OP seems to want to show potential interviewers that he is "engaging in the school culture beyond just showing up to class."

If he feels this is something that will help him get an interview, shouldn't he put it in the place a reviewer will most likely see it? If its just a conversation piece, Interests makes sense.
Oh. In that case, those things will NOT help you get an interview. HTH.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Things related to law school--mock trial, moot court, law review / journals, awards--should be in the "Education" section.

Things that are personal interests or hobbies--reading fantasy, home brewing, racing cars, stalking Alyson Hannigan--should be in a separate section entitled "Interests".

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”