Is my 3L wife going to get a legal job at all?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
arhmcpo

Re: Is my 3L wife going to get a legal job at all?

Postby arhmcpo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Her language proficiency would be a huge boosts in most contexts

As a 3L in a similar situation, in my experience, I would agree with earlier posts that her target market (smaller firms) wait to hire recent bar admits. When a small firm wants to hire, they want to do so immediately, they don't want a 3L who won't have BAR results for 6 months

The best thing she can do if money is pressing is get a paid law clerk position to work while she waits for her bar results to come back; then to apply as a recently-barred attorney to these smaller firms and I would be very confident based on her credentials that she would get an attorney job at that point.

She and her interview skills are likely not the problem; this is a terrible market and professors are ridiculously out of touch with reality.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:09 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:If she can't really can't find anything with a firm, I would recommend sending out applications to judges. Many of these positions are unpaid, but it's supposed to be good experience and a great way to make contacts.

This is not a viable 3L option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:it depends on which T30-40 you're talking about.
most of Cum laude from Fordham seem to laching on even in a bad economy.

3Ls? I'm a Fordham 2L and only know one2L in the top 50% without some sort of summer job. Also know one 3L without a post-grad job, but otherwise everyone I know has a job lined up. I realize it's bad for the bottom 50%, but didn't think people with higher GPAs were struggling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:02 pm

applying to judges - even no clerkships are open - is a viable alternative.
I know some poor graduates from my T25 who are now serving as unpaid law clerks for some judges.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 pm

No! Law Clerk and interning for a judge are two extremely different positions.

As far as that resume launch web site, it reminds me of those “modeling web sites” where you submit your headshot and they put you in touch with projects that are looking for [someone like] you. . . big waste of time and $. If you want to be a model or actress, go find an agent if you want to practice law, contact law firms, talk to alumni, etc.

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As far as that resume launch web site, it reminds me of those “modeling web sites” where you submit your headshot and they put you in touch with projects that are looking for [someone like] you. . . big waste of time and $. If you want to be a model or actress, go find an agent if you want to practice law, contact law firms, talk to alumni, etc.

You missed the point. You can use the website to find firms in your preferred area that aren't on NALP, i.e., a lot of mid-sized and small firms, without actually using the service. It seems a whole lot better than Martindale, which is fucking terrible most of the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:46 pm

I know for a fact that some recent graduates from my school put law clerk on their resumes - the judges took them as unpaid helpers.
(they got stipends from the school, though)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know for a fact that some recent graduates from my school put law clerk on their resumes - the judges took them as unpaid helpers.

Does anyone here believe a Judge Internship and Law Clerk are one in the same? If someone actually put Law Clerk on their resume because they were a Judges’ Intern . . . pity the fool.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know for a fact that some recent graduates from my school put law clerk on their resumes - the judges took them as unpaid helpers.

Does anyone here believe a Judge Internship and Law Clerk are one in the same? If someone actually put Law Clerk on their resume because they were a Judges’ Intern . . . pity the fool.

They're idiots. Interning is not clerking. Not in any sense. In fact, judges are limited in how many clerks they can carry...so there is an official distinction as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:16 pm

it is not as bogus as you think.
They are "clerking" in a state where there has been a hiring freeze in the superior/ state trial courts. So, judges are not officially hiring paid law clerks anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:44 am

In California, they're called "Legal Research Attorneys" and you have the exact same title even if you're doing it volunteer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

3Ls? I'm a Fordham 2L and only know one2L in the top 50% without some sort of summer job. Also know one 3L without a post-grad job, but otherwise everyone I know has a job lined up. I realize it's bad for the bottom 50%, but didn't think people with higher GPAs were struggling.

Fordham 2l as well but I would say this is true for the top 1/4-1/3, not top 1/2. Also, having a job does not equate with getting biglaw if that's what OP is asking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Fordham 2l as well but I would say this is true for the top 1/4-1/3, not top 1/2. Also, having a job does not equate with getting biglaw if that's what OP is asking.

really? you think top 1/4-1/3? I have plenty of friends not on LR that are on Urban/IP/International and all have jobs. I only have one friend out of over a dozen friends that doesn't have a job and that friend is just outside the top 1/3.

and the thread title refers to a legal job - not big law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:39 pm

let's hope that OP's wife will get something fulfiling and close to home. I feel that she and OP are decent people - good school and good grades but the low-key type who do not know how best to "sell" themselves.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Hey OP, your wife should of course be encouraged to look for legal work and pursue her goals.

That said, depending on her goals and your family situation (e.g. if you have health insurance that covers dependents), with fluency in Spanish and German she is very marketable for high paying doc review jobs (german reviews can be $40 + an hour). If legal employment doesn't pan out (it seems getting a clerkship this late during 3L year would be very difficult...most judges whether state or federal hire at the very beginning of 3L year), this would be an excellent suggestion to make good money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:22 pm

if you can't find a full-time attorney job right away, doing high-paying doc review, while interning/clerking for a decent small law firm (regardless of pay), will be the wisest thing to do.

Return to “Legal Employment”