1L: State Superior Ct or USAO? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
law1212

New

1L: State Superior Ct or USAO?

Post by law1212 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:18 pm

1L weighing summer internship options...

State Superior Ct intern or US Attorney's Office intern...

Is one better than the other? If so, why?

Would splitting the summer be a good option? Why/why not?

Thanks

kalvano

Diamond

Re: 1L: State Superior Ct or USAO?

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Jesus fucking Christ, look down 10 topics and you'll see that 6 of them are all 1L's debating the merits of something to do with their summer, and they are all getting the same answer: it doesn't matter. Just do something legal related. Nothing really looks better than anything else, unless you can be a 1L clerk for SCOTUS or Adriana Lima's bikini adjuster.

Nothing you do will really impress anyone. Just do something that sounds fun and that you'll enjoy talking about a lot at OCI.

And, on that note, working for the USAO is pretty damn fun.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:24 pm

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:52 pm

kalvano wrote:Jesus fucking Christ, look down 10 topics and you'll see that 6 of them are all 1L's debating the merits of something to do with their summer, and they are all getting the same answer: it doesn't matter. Just do something legal related. Nothing really looks better than anything else, unless you can be a 1L clerk for SCOTUS or Adriana Lima's bikini adjuster.

Nothing you do will really impress anyone. Just do something that sounds fun and that you'll enjoy talking about a lot at OCI.

1. How do I get the bikini adjustment job?

2. I would guess that certain things, as ATL pointed out, are probably better to talk about during interviewing. Example: "What did you do this summer?" "I worked for a small family law firm doing divorces." As opposed to... "I did Indian Law with the USAO in Utah, dealing a lot of complex jurisdictional issues in criminal prosecution."

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:59 pm

spleenworship wrote:
kalvano wrote:Jesus fucking Christ, look down 10 topics and you'll see that 6 of them are all 1L's debating the merits of something to do with their summer, and they are all getting the same answer: it doesn't matter. Just do something legal related. Nothing really looks better than anything else, unless you can be a 1L clerk for SCOTUS or Adriana Lima's bikini adjuster.

1. How do I get the bikini adjustment job?

2. I would guess that certain things, as ATL pointed out, are probably better to talk about during interviewing. Example: "What did you do this summer?" "I worked for a small family law firm doing divorces." As opposed to... "I did Indian Law with the USAO in Utah, dealing a lot of complex jurisdictional issues in criminal prosecution."
If you say "I worked for a small family law firm doing divorces", then you're doing it wrong. It's not what you do, it's how you spin what you did. You won't really get any more substantive experience at the USAO over A Family Law Firm during your 1L summer.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:10 pm

I did State Supreme my 1L summer. Thought it was cool and I really enjoyed it, but it tends to be a bit more "academic" and less practice-oriented (since pretty much everything you're going to read and write is appellate-level stuff). However, the nice thing is that you can really learn about all different types of law, and if you want to practice in the state, it can be a very helpful connection to have.

All that said, if I had gotten USAO, I would have taken it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”