1L Summer Job - Drug Tests

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Job - Drug Tests

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:38 pm

There is no such thing. This speaks to how ignorant people are. Pot addicts? Give me a fucking break.

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Psycho ... _addiction

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
There is no such thing. This speaks to how ignorant people are. Pot addicts? Give me a fucking break.

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Psycho ... _addiction

By that logic, I become addicted to Chick-fil-A when I eat their tasty and delicious #3 spicy chicken sandwich every Friday.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Haven't touched a thing since before law school started. But, might just barely be within one year. I don't know what to do...already accepted the DOJ offer.

And, I don't have many other things that I could potentially do this summer.

You're absolutely fine. Don't freak out about it.

Yeah seriously, dude needs to chill.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Apparently he's been doing a little too much chilling, or he wouldn't be so nervous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Lol hey I deserve what you guys are saying

Just was concerned and didn't know the answer. Actually stopped smoking a long time ago, I just happened to smoke one time in the last year

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Everyone will tell you to chill and I'm sure you're fine too but remember that if you do want to work fed gov again there is a large chance of a polygraph down the line. I'm not trying to scare you but you should definitely do some research beyond the forum and possibly meet with your dean of students.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Well, my plan is to fully disclose so a polygraph should't be a problem...
I will talk to the dean of students at the beginning of next week though

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Everyone will tell you to chill and I'm sure you're fine too but remember that if you do want to work fed gov again there is a large chance of a polygraph down the line. I'm not trying to scare you but you should definitely do some research beyond the forum and possibly meet with your dean of students.

Polygraph test are only for those receiving Top Secret security clearances. Anything below that, such as Secret or Confidential, is not subject to a polygraph test. More likely than not, any intern within the DOJ will only need a Secret. For instance, the DoD Legal Honors Program only required a Secret. However, all these are subject to said forms that are discussed above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:18 pm

definitely not an issue for the internship I was just talking about employment down the line. Say you lie on it because you think you only want to do firm work. 5 years down the line some great gov job opens up where you need high level security clearance. Thats the scenario I thought about.

Anyways sounds like this guy has it covered. Good luck man and enjoy your summer internship!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:definitely not an issue for the internship I was just talking about employment down the line. Say you lie on it because you think you only want to do firm work. 5 years down the line some great gov job opens up where you need high level security clearance. Thats the scenario I thought about.

Anyways sounds like this guy has it covered. Good luck man and enjoy your summer internship!

Yep, that was why I decided to just be totally honest. Hopefully it doesn't lose me the job but if it does I'd rather not have this one then have to look over my shoulder.

mths

Postby mths » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MBZags wrote:I had to take one for my in-house internship. It even included a tobacco test, lulz.

Did they notify you beforehand they were drug testing you, or notify you the day you started?

How about you just go ahead and stop doing drugs.

Stop being a moralistic bitch.

seriously

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Called the government job yesterday and explained the situation after talking with my career services office and the main DOJ office. they said they'd call around and check. haven't heard back, left a voicemail a few hours ago.

Damn it I hope this doesn't take too long - if its not going to work just let me know so I can try for something else

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm surprised by the amount of people here so strongly opposed to smoking. Maybe it's just because I go to school in SF, but more than half of the people I know in school smoke.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:20 pm

ilovesf wrote:I'm surprised by the amount of people here so strongly opposed to smoking. Maybe it's just because I go to school in SF, but more than half of the people I know in school smoke.

Nothing better than a bunch of future lawyers breaking federal law. :roll:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:24 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I'm surprised by the amount of people here so strongly opposed to smoking. Maybe it's just because I go to school in SF, but more than half of the people I know in school smoke.

Yeah.. because there are no current lawyers that ever smoke or do any other drugs. lololol.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:33 pm

ilovesf wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Yeah.. because there are no current lawyers that ever smoke or do any other drugs. lololol.

So... because people do it, it is ok? That's asinine. Violating a federal law (even if it is horrendously stupid) doesn't seem to the type of thing a lawyer/prospective lawyer should be doing.

Your statement is akin to something I'm sure all our mothers have said to us at one point or another: "If all your friends jumped off the Golden Gate (or other regional bridge) Bridge, would you do it, too?"

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:38 pm

I don't think it's entirely that they are opposed to smoking. I don't care, personally. But don't whine and bitch about potential drug tests if you do. It's part of the risk you take.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:39 pm

I personally don't feel it's a big deal. I wouldn't care at all if my lawyer were smoking pot. I know many who do, and as far as I can tell, do their jobs well. It's not something I do because I want to work for the government, but I couldn't care less if someone else does. And if you know anyone who works for a big firm, you'll know that some drugs are pretty normal there. I'm not saying that's good, but it's reality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:33 pm

PD office: of course they don't test
in-house at a big company: hair test for at least one person i know, urine test for the others. the person getting the hair test is also being tested for alcohol abuse (via the hair test), which i didn't even know was possible.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:44 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:So... because people do it, it is ok? That's asinine. Violating a federal law (even if it is horrendously stupid) doesn't seem to the type of thing a lawyer/prospective lawyer should be doing.

Your statement is akin to something I'm sure all our mothers have said to us at one point or another: "If all your friends jumped off the Golden Gate (or other regional bridge) Bridge, would you do it, too?"

How you felt writing this:
--ImageRemoved--
How the rest of us felt reading it:
--ImageRemoved--

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:05 pm

I hope those of you on your moral high horse never touch a drop of alcohol until you were 21. Or downloaded a song illegally. Or driven over the speed limit.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:12 pm

kalvano wrote:

I don't think it's entirely that they are opposed to smoking. I don't care, personally. But don't whine and bitch about potential drug tests if you do. It's part of the risk you take.

I think this is a fair point. The problem I take issue with is that the original question in this thread (and many others) was simply asking for info about whether or not a certain job drug tests. Obviously people should exercise caution and not smoke if there is a risk of drug test, but I don't see anything wrong with trying to get a better idea of the level of that risk. I honestly don't understand why employers are not more open and straightforward about their drug testing policies. The CIA and other National Security groups are very upfront about their stringent requirements, and I think it improves the application process by narrowing the field and putting potential violators on notice so as not to apply/change their habits. Seems to be no reason why you shouldn't be able to find out whether an employer drug tests until after you have accepted a position to work for them...

/rant off. TL;DR Don't hate on people trying to find out if employers drug test, provide info or just ignore them.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:I hope those of you on your moral high horse never touch a drop of alcohol until you were 21. Or downloaded a song illegally. Or driven over the speed limit.

And I hope you don't mind that I did download songs illegally. And they were your songs.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:I hope those of you on your moral high horse never touch a drop of alcohol until you were 21. Or downloaded a song illegally. Or driven over the speed limit.

I could care less if people want to do drugs, I was simply stating that I think it is ridiculously stupid to do something that could risk your future/current career. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine a lawyer arrested for possession could be disbarred or, at the very least, disciplined by the Bar.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:17 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

I could care less if people want to do drugs, I was simply stating that I think it is ridiculously stupid to do something that could risk your future/current career. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine a lawyer arrested for possession could be disbarred or, at the very least, disciplined by the Bar.

:|

Return to “Legal Employment”