1L Summer Job - Drug Tests Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Job - Drug Tests

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:01 am

So... any word on federal judicial internships? I'm guessing no, but still curious what you guys think.

LawMan20

New

Post by LawMan20 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:02 am

TCR: Stop doing drugs.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 am

LawMan20 wrote:TCR: Stop doing drugs.
This is the functional equivalent of going into a thread where people are asking, "Do I need to disclose my traffic ticket?" and saying "TCR: Stop speeding." Very unhelpful.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:17 am

romothesavior wrote:
This is the functional equivalent of going into a thread where people are asking, "Do I need to disclose my traffic ticket?" and saying "TCR: Stop speeding." Very unhelpful.
Stop telling people to stop telling people to stop doing drugs!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:20 am

romothesavior wrote:
I disagree... A traffic ticket has already occurred and cannot be helped. Currently doing drugs before a drug test and stopping could actually help. So, TCR is, actually, to stop doing drugs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:22 am

reformed calvinist wrote: Stop telling people to stop telling people to stop doing drugs!
Last edited by TJISMYHERO on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:24 am

For some reason I'm reminded of this article
http://www.theonion.com/articles/dry-hu ... ens,27084/

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:25 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
I disagree... A traffic ticket has already occurred and cannot be helped. Currently doing drugs before a drug test and stopping could actually help. So, TCR is, actually, to stop doing drugs.
Again this doesn't accurately respond to the question, RC fail. "Does X drug test?" Answer: Don't do drugs? Fail.

Even people who don't do drugs may be curious about which employers drug test. We get that you are against drugs, thanks, very helpful. Now either provide actual answers to the questions or move on and go hand out pamphlets for DARE.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:28 am

TJISMYHERO wrote:
reformed calvinist wrote: Stop telling people to stop telling people to stop doing drugs!
Jesus christ the people on here dry humping a feeling of moral superiority are insufferable. I seriously doubt anyone on here who "does drugs" is going to stop doing drugs because you told them to.
Why is it that, when someone is doing something against the Law and people say it is a bad idea, it has to become a moral issue? Can't it just be that IT IS STUPID TO BREAK A FEDERAL LAW?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:29 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:
Jesus christ the people on here dry humping a feeling of moral superiority are insufferable. I seriously doubt anyone on here who "does drugs" is going to stop doing drugs because you told them to.
Why is it that, when someone is doing something against the Law and people say it is a bad idea, it has to become a moral issue? Can't it just be that IT IS STUPID TO BREAK A FEDERAL LAW?
It's not even that it's a moral issue. Why can't someone get some sane, helpful advice to a reasonable question without value judgments/assorted histrionics?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:32 am

TJISMYHERO wrote:
Actually I showed this to a few of my meth head friends and they were all really moved by Scrabble Champ's posts. One already checked into a rehab program.

No but seriously, I get what you are saying Scrabble. I don't disagree that breaking the law is not the best move for a person's long-term interests, especially if they want to go out and become a lawyer.. But you can't say things like this...
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Hey, it's your (not you, specifically) life... if you want to screw it up doing drugs, go ahead.
... and simultaneously pretend that you're not being a moralistic crusader. That's why people are really taking issue with what you are saying.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:40 am

romothesavior wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:
Actually I showed this to a few of my meth head friends and they were all really moved by Scrabble Champ's posts. One already checked into a rehab program.

No but seriously, I get what you are saying Scrabble. I don't disagree that breaking the law is not the best move for a person's long-term interests, especially if they want to go out and become a lawyer.. But you can't say things like this...
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Hey, it's your (not you, specifically) life... if you want to screw it up doing drugs, go ahead.
... and simultaneously pretend that you're not being a moralistic crusader. That's why people are really taking issue with what you are saying.
Dude... I don't care about whether or not someone wants to do drugs. I wish drugs were legalized so people could legally do whatever the fuck they wanted. My point is simple: Knowingly and actively breaking a federal law is stupid. It is not a moral issue. It is a stupidity issue. I don't care about morals. I was a sniper in the military and I've killed my fair share of people without remorse. My moral compass was lost a long time ago. Morality doesn't matter to me... stupidity does. Don't break a federal law knowingly and willingly. That is stupid.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:43 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:48 am

reformed calvinist wrote:Image
Marine here, not Army. And, I'm not Catholic.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
reformed calvinist wrote:Image
Marine here, not Army. And, I'm not Catholic.
Respect, man.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:19 am

mountaintime wrote:
kalvano wrote:If you're going to have an opinion on drug use, be man (or woman) enough to own up to it.

If you're afraid of having an opinion that others may not agree with, then perhaps you should reexamine that opinion.
despicable
It would have been funnier to post that anonymously.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:32 am

LOLOLthis thread.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:46 am

I am on a roller coaster ride of emotions. First this thread got mean, then it got really mean, then it got funny. WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:06 am

I'm banning you for a while. Come back a better poster.

I don't care if you smoke pot or not, if you like pot or not, but either answer someone's question or don't post. "DERP DERP DRUGS ARE BAD" is supremely unhelpful.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:10 am

OP: I asked two friends that are at V10 firms. Both said they were not tested as a condition of employment, but both said they were told random tests may occur. The 4th year has never been tested, the 2nd year was tested a few months after being hired.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:34 am

I'm actually genuinely curious about this. Do the same rules apply in states where marijuana has been legalized to some extent? If you have a prescription card in California, would you be barred from employment for failing a drug test the same way someone without a prescription would?

I realize employers can do what they want, as some drug test for alcohol or tobacco use as well. It seems that this would be more of a grey area as medical marijuana is legal in a good number of states.

Also, I don't think most firms test. Testing is actually really expensive, and it's a well known fact lawyers have a high rate of substance abuse. But if you're worried about it, the easiest thing to do is not smoke if you think you might be tested. You'd only have to stop for like a month if it's not a government position anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawMan20

New

Post by LawMan20 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:41 pm

omninode wrote:I am on a roller coaster ride of emotions. First this thread got mean, then it got really mean, then it got funny. WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD?
Really funny

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:59 pm

So, after disclosing, the USAO said I'd need to start in July.

Should I feel safe about not failing the background check? I got the statement about "starting in July" from both the main DOJ office and my branch office.

Just concerned that I'll send in my information and then they suddenly decide "can't take you"

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:21 am

CA PD offices (at least Marin and San Diego) don't test
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:31 am

I'd imagine it depends on the state too. CA? Not nearly as likely. Local and State agencies that I've heard of do not test. Federal agencies like DOJ do (from what I've heard 2nd hand). Also, there is a hardcore gangs unit that I believe tests as well.

Also (i'm in LA) and some production studios test and some dont. NBCUniversal said that we must be willing to take one - though last year they didnt test (2nd hand info again). The studio I worked for last year didnt test. HTH.

Also, who the hell cares if you smoke a little weed...Coke, crack, etc. ok, but the ppl on here bashing smoking is a little ridiculous.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”