1L Summer Job - Drug Tests Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: 1L Summer Job - Drug Tests

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer for a DOJ branch for my 1L summer job. I have to fill out the SF-85 application form, which asks about drug use in the past year.

However, I also have to fill out an "illegal drug use questionnaire", which asks if I am now using OR have ever used any illegal substance. It asks for the first and last time I used drugs, which drugs they were, how often I used them, whether I had treatment for drug use, etc.

It's pretty intimidating that it's just a separate form solely about illegal drug use. Outside of 1 year in the past, does it seem like this means an automatic DQ if I, say, smoked weed once or twice in the beginning of undergrad (~4-5 years ago)?
Can' t speak for DOJ attorney policy, but I know for a fact that their LEOs are allowed youthful experimentation, that includes DEA and FBI. You can draw your own inferences.
Can anyone else speak to this? I'd just like to have a clue ASAP, so I can start looking for another summer job if need be..
Be honest. You won't get dinged for a security clearance for having smoked a little grass. There is a certain time frame where it is auto-DQ (within the past year, I believe) but as long as you've been clean for that long, past use is not going to hurt you.

DO NOT LIE. Lying about any minor detail for any reason is an auto-DQ.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Yeah, don't lie. The DOJ knows every time you've smoked pot in your life, they have a database, and all your friends you smoked pot with report to them that you all got high together on certain dates. And they have cameras and shit that see through walls. And they collect your urine from the sewers. Trust me, the DOJ will find out, because they are omniscient, so if you tell them you haven't smoked pot in 5 years, when in fact you smoked pot 3 months ago, they will TOTALLY KNOW. And they'll hook you up to a lie detector. No seriously, if they use a lie detector, forget it.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:31 pm

:|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:37 pm

you joke but i lied on my sf86 ten years ago (about dumb recreational drug use that wouldn't have affected my clearance) and now i'm basically eliminated from any job requiring a poly because i can't contradict my past statements. so yea it's not that big a deal but you never know if you might need a FSP someday for some future job. better to just tell the truth and not worry about it.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you joke but i lied on my sf86 ten years ago (about dumb recreational drug use that wouldn't have affected my clearance) and now i'm basically eliminated from any job requiring a poly because i can't contradict my past statements. so yea it's not that big a deal but you never know if you might need a FSP someday for some future job. better to just tell the truth and not worry about it.
Yeah I was partially joking with a mix of truth. Doesn't the CIA and FBI poly applicants? I guess the sub-text of what I wrote was that if you're a pot head, maybe don't work for the DOJ.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As far as I can tell, everyone tests anymore, except small firms (who can't afford it). Just do what I am planning on doing: smoke less in the spring, then quit in April. Sure finals are going to suck without weed, but getting a job is important.
A lot (most? All?) large law firms don't test from what I hear. I wasn't tested, and I don't know anyone who was. My cynical view is that they don't care if you're a coke head so long as you're billing those hours and keeping clients happy.

Here is advice, not legal but just as a friend - if you think you'll be tested, go online, buy yourself some cheap piss test kits in bulk, like 30, and test yourself around 20-30 days after you stop smoking. You can find them for like $3 a piece (cheaper the more you buy!). After 30 days you'll start pissing clean, probably. Hair test, forget it. But THC will likely be gone from piss in 30 days. If you are very fat it might take longer. Then, once you've seen how long you take to get clean, then you know! And knowing is half the battle against the man.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:31 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:you joke but i lied on my sf86 ten years ago (about dumb recreational drug use that wouldn't have affected my clearance) and now i'm basically eliminated from any job requiring a poly because i can't contradict my past statements. so yea it's not that big a deal but you never know if you might need a FSP someday for some future job. better to just tell the truth and not worry about it.
Yeah I was partially joking with a mix of truth. Doesn't the CIA and FBI poly applicants? I guess the sub-text of what I wrote was that if you're a pot head, maybe don't work for the DOJ.
You only do a poly for top secret. Secret and confidential don't require it. So check the job description.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:
You only do a poly for top secret. Secret and confidential don't require it. So check the job description.
"You're being promoted! Congratulations!"

"Nah bro, I'm straight. Thanks though."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”