DC GPA/Class Rank Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC GPA/Class Rank Question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Vandy law 1L here. I'm interested in what kind of GPA/class rank DC firms (lower V100-NLJ250) look for from Vandy students. This has bearing on where I decide to accept an internship for this summer.

Thanks.

LawIdiot86

Re: DC GPA/Class Rank Question

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Vandy law 1L here. I'm interested in what kind of GPA/class rank DC firms (lower V100-NLJ250) look for from Vandy students. This has bearing on where I decide to accept an internship for this summer.

Thanks.

Your CSO almost certainly has a list of firms with the median/average GPAs of students they have hired in the past.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:32 pm

That sounds like a piece of information your career services office is highly likely to have. At my school, they have a list of average and median and max GPAs for each firm. Things tend to be a little harsher today than they were a few years ago, though, so the numbers are skewed down a bit.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:14 pm

johndhi wrote:That sounds like a piece of information your career services office is highly likely to have. At my school, they have a list of average and median and max GPAs for each firm. Things tend to be a little harsher today than they were a few years ago, though, so the numbers are skewed down a bit.

Yeah, adding 0.1-0.2 to my school's list brought it up to current standards.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 am

OP here. Vandy CSO does not maintain this type of database. If anyone has any anecdotal experience/stories from Vandy or similarly situated schools, that would be great.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Vandy CSO does not maintain this type of database. If anyone has any anecdotal experience/stories from Vandy or similarly situated schools, that would be great.

What is the curve median at Vandy? Adjusting slightly for the T14-phoney prestige, I might be able to help.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Assuming that Vanderbilt curves to a 3.25, you would probably need something around a 3.4-3.5+ (assuming the top 25-30% can still get NLJ250) - it is impossible to cut this down to an exact GPA, as there are many other factors that factor into whether you would get the job (competition, journal, moot court, the needs of the firm, prelaw experience, personal connections, personality, etc.).

I probably wouldn't bother applying to DC NLJ firms, barring anything special, without at least a 3.45 or so (essentially top 1/3, which you can figure out by talking to students as Vanderbilt doesn't rank outside the top). I would use that time instead to focus on markets I had ties to, in addition to Atlanta, Tennessee, and Alabama.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Assuming that Vanderbilt curves to a 3.25, you would probably need something around a 3.4-3.5+ (assuming the top 25-30% can still get NLJ250) - it is impossible to cut this down to an exact GPA, as there are many other factors that factor into whether you would get the job (competition, journal, moot court, the needs of the firm, prelaw experience, personal connections, personality, etc.).

I probably wouldn't bother applying to DC NLJ firms, barring anything special, without at least a 3.45 or so (essentially top 1/3, which you can figure out by talking to students as Vanderbilt doesn't rank outside the top). I would use that time instead to focus on markets I had ties to, in addition to Atlanta, Tennessee, and Alabama.

Top 1/3 is borderline dc quality from UVA. Friends at Vandy have told me you need top 15% at the bare minimum to even think about dc.
Last edited by jawsthegreat on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:45 pm

I have a general question about this as well. CSO has some DC firms as having medians only slightly above median. Is it a safe assumption that these firms are the ones that are no longer hiring large enough classes to justify a bid?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a general question about this as well. CSO has some DC firms as having medians only slightly above median. Is it a safe assumption that these firms are the ones that are no longer hiring large enough classes to justify a bid?

Yes, a Vandy median GPA would be extremely uncompetitive at the average DC V100 office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:49 pm

summered at dc V15, offers in dc form V15 and 2 V30s at top 15-10% at GW... dunno if you consider that a "similar" school though

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Assuming that Vanderbilt curves to a 3.25, you would probably need something around a 3.4-3.5+ (assuming the top 25-30% can still get NLJ250) - it is impossible to cut this down to an exact GPA, as there are many other factors that factor into whether you would get the job (competition, journal, moot court, the needs of the firm, prelaw experience, personal connections, personality, etc.).

Top 1/3 is borderline dc quality from UVA. Friends at Vandy have told me you need top 15% at the bare minimum to even think about dc.

I can see that. But I still think the OP could throw a bid or two on DC if he/she is in the top range, even though he/she shouldn't get his/her hopes up for an interview. However, Vanderbilt has never been known for DC placement in the first place, so I imagine it was difficult to get a job there even before the recession.

Side note: I'm surprised that Vanderbilt does not keep up with firm/gpa/rank data.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:03 pm

I am a Vandy 1L who asked around among the 2Ls during the last semester. The highest GPA cutoff from the most elite DC firms (V5ish)* had a Vandy GPA cutoff of 3.7. Other great firms (V20-V50ish) would drop down to 3.5ish depending on work experience, interview "performance," fit, etc. Bottom line - anything over 3.7 and the sky is the limit. Anything below and the other factors start coming more heavily into play. Below 3.5 and I would think your already diminished chances might be gone.

If career services aren't helping you, ask around to find 2Ls who got great DC jobs and then ask them. They generally have been really helpful. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”