Working for a union- good or bad idea?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Eco

Working for a union- good or bad idea?

Postby Eco » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:10 am

Is accepting a job offer with a union, as a 2L (for the summer of '12), a good idea for a long-term career in labor and employment, or a bad idea because most firms generally represent employers? Assuming that, after this summer, I want to apply to law firms, most of whom are on the employer side- would they not want to hire someone who has worked for a union, or would they see that as a good experience to have?

LawIdiot86

Re: Working for a union- good or bad idea?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:03 pm

Eco wrote:Is accepting a job offer with a union, as a 2L (for the summer of '12), a good idea for a long-term career in labor and employment, or a bad idea because most firms generally represent employers? Assuming that, after this summer, I want to apply to law firms, most of whom are on the employer side- would they not want to hire someone who has worked for a union, or would they see that as a good experience to have?

Working for a union would scare off almost all of the management-side firms and large L&E firms are entirely management-side. If you wanted to include small labor-side firms, it would help a tiny bit.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:09 pm

I respectfully disagree, I think the transition from union-side to management side is a lot easier than the opposite. Union-side tend to be ideological purists, so working at a management side firm taints you as a non-believer. Management side is just a job, with better pay, and I don't think anyone will fault you for defecting to them.

Although keep your management side concerns close to the chest, your Union bosses will not be pleased if they find out.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Cupidity wrote:I respectfully disagree, I think the transition from union-side to management side is a lot easier than the opposite. Union-side tend to be ideological purists, so working at a management side firm taints you as a non-believer. Management side is just a job, with better pay, and I don't think anyone will fault you for defecting to them.

Although keep your management side concerns close to the chest, your Union bosses will not be pleased if they find out.

It may be easier, but I was still grilled in my screeners with a big L&E firm on whether I knew what they did and was on their side and I have no union work on my resume.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:05 pm

You just spin it as you wanted to know your enemy. Problem solved.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:08 pm

Unfortunately, union work is a life-long committment. You will be viewed as a pariah by most employers.

P.S. Volunteer under an assumed name & leave it off of your resume if you ever plan on taking a non-union related position.

Return to “Legal Employment”