Alcohol Related Interest on Resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Put it in?

Just the tip
65%
Are you crazy?
35%

Total votes: 126

keg411

Platinum

Re: Alcohol Related Interest on Resume?

Post by keg411 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Females who do not do home-brewing: what interests did you put on your resume?
A baseball team I'm a huge fan of, travel/culture interests in an interesting country where my extended family lives, and board games.
As a woman and a die-hard sports fan, I'd recommend that if you're female, try to avoid sports on your resume, but if people ask you about interests not on your resume, you can talk about it then. The reason? Male BigLaw partners tend to be sexist assholes and they don't want to hear women talk about sports, no matter how much you know (this is directly from a former BigLaw partner).

I changed my interests to "girlier" interests and just brought up sports during the interviews if asked about other interests (or if someone had memorabilia in an office), and my interview outcomes afterwards were much, much better.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Don't want to highjack your thread Arbiter, but I would like to have an "interests" section but have no idea what to put.

I don't think employers want to know about the thrash band I used to play in while I was in undergrad, or that I spend more time watching obscure foreign films on netflix than going out.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:27 pm

I would just put "musician" and "foreign film fan".

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:46 pm

I would like so see someone with top-shelf grades at YLS see what kind of shit they could get away with in their interests section and still snag a V100 job, e.g.
Fuckin like makin bongs and shit, hot chicks with like tits and stuff, strippers, ICP, the usual shit

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:42 am

SBL wrote:I would like so see someone with top-shelf grades at YLS see what kind of shit they could get away with in their interests section and still snag a V100 job, e.g.
Fuckin like makin bongs and shit, hot chicks with like tits and stuff, strippers, ICP, the usual shit

Total honesty would be somewhat refreshing in that case.

Interests: frequent unnecessary masturbation, playing skyrim/ COD until 3am, hitting the gym, bacon

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:09 am

Honestly, who can't list bacon as a valid interest?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:46 am

kalvano wrote:Honestly, who can't list bacon as a valid interest?
Fuckin' vegans... :sigh:

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:05 pm

This thread has convinced me to take up homebrewing so I can put it on my resume in a year or so.

Any good resources?

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:25 pm

First off, you should homebrew because it is awesome and fun. Also you will not save money homebrewing, you will just make amazing craft beers for yourself and whoever you choose. It is a lot of fun- you will get addicted to it.

The TLS of homebrew is http://www.homebrewtalk.com/
Just look around. There is a beginner forum there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:10 pm

disagree about women not putting down sports interests. Anecdotally, a surefire superstar from an offer standpoint had competitive golfer on her resume and it was very well received / she got invited to golf. If you are going to put down a sports team from a fan's standpoint though, you'd better be well versed on it.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:54 pm

leobowski wrote:
SBL wrote:I would like so see someone with top-shelf grades at YLS see what kind of shit they could get away with in their interests section and still snag a V100 job, e.g.

Total honesty would be somewhat refreshing in that case.

Interests: frequent unnecessary masturbation, playing skyrim/ COD until 3am, hitting the gym, bacon
I... don't know what this means.

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:32 am

DubPoker wrote:First off, you should homebrew because it is awesome and fun. Also you will not save money homebrewing, you will just make amazing craft beers for yourself and whoever you choose. It is a lot of fun- you will get addicted to it.

The TLS of homebrew is http://www.homebrewtalk.com/
Just look around. There is a beginner forum there.
Cheers.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:29 am

DallasCowboy wrote:disagree about women not putting down sports interests. Anecdotally, a surefire superstar from an offer standpoint had competitive golfer on her resume and it was very well received / she got invited to golf. If you are going to put down a sports team from a fan's standpoint though, you'd better be well versed on it.
Obviously if you play it makes sense. I was talking about the fan sense (and believe me, I'm well versed).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:58 pm

k we are on the same page then. I just wanted to clarify so as not to scare away women from talking sports in all contexts. I do agree that for whatever unfair reason, we guys shift the burden to a female to defend her fanhood. Plus, given that being a fan is not a huge boost, it's really just not worth it.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:33 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:disagree about women not putting down sports interests. Anecdotally, a surefire superstar from an offer standpoint had competitive golfer on her resume and it was very well received / she got invited to golf. If you are going to put down a sports team from a fan's standpoint though, you'd better be well versed on it.
As with anything else on your resume, you should be ready to talk about your interests in depth, but feel out your interviewer for how much they know before diving in. For example if you write about your interest in whisky, be prepared for the guy who asks about it, but hasn't ventured beyond Johnnie Walker. If you launch into your love for early 90s Ardbeg, you risk making the interviewer feel bad. If, however, you're not that into whisky, you risk running into the partner who is and asks you about it. Basically, list interests you'd feel comfortable discussing with experts and non-experts alike.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:22 pm

quakeroats wrote:
As with anything else on your resume, you should be ready to talk about your interests in depth, but feel out your interviewer for how much they know before diving in. For example if you write about your interest in whisky, be prepared for the guy who asks about it, but hasn't ventured beyond Johnnie Walker. If you launch into your love for early 90s Ardbeg, you risk making the interviewer feel bad. If, however, you're not that into whisky, you risk running into the partner who is and asks you about it. Basically, list interests you'd feel comfortable discussing with experts and non-experts alike.
This is good advice

spaceman82

New

Post by spaceman82 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:51 am

This might be a mini-hijack, but how do people feel about listing MMA or combat sports as an interest, either as a fan or participant? Training is one of my main interests, and my initial thought is that it's a polarizing topic about which some interviewers are going to be really interested and others are going to want to auto-ding me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:53 am

quakeroats wrote:
This is good advice, though it compels me to point out that scotch blowhards are at least as horrible as wine blowhards.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:43 am

spaceman82 wrote:This might be a mini-hijack, but how do people feel about listing MMA or combat sports as an interest, either as a fan or participant? Training is one of my main interests, and my initial thought is that it's a polarizing topic about which some interviewers are going to be really interested and others are going to want to auto-ding me.
I'd personally would put down cage fighting over MMA. I think the point is to be as alpha as possible.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:46 am

I would just put "modern-day gladiator" and go from there. You'll get screeners just to see what you mean.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:57 am

I had yoga down on mine. One older hiring partner at a Texas firm asked me if I liked doing any "real" sports and chucked about yoga as an interest. I thought of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9SiDtJ ... re=related

I lol'd and started to be a dick the rest of the interview cuz I got a bad vibe from this dood and the place. Partner liked it and gave me jerb. told them to go fuck themselves with passive aggressive email about finding a place that was a better fit for me, lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Also with regard to alcohol, is robotripping an appropriate interest to include on resume?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Guchster wrote:Also with regard to alcohol, is robotripping an appropriate interest to include on resume?
Not if you don't properly hyphenate it dude

jess

Post by jess » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Jessuf wrote:Is it bad for a female to have pretty feminine interests on her resume? I'm not sure how douchey male interviewers will receive my interests section.
Define "feminine interests". Cooking would probably be fine, "makeover parties" or "fashion" might be a bit much.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”