thank you note etiquette Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Asleep

New

thank you note etiquette

Post by Asleep » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:09 pm

I had a few firm interviews last week. At the interviews I met with multiple attorneys. I met with each one for twenty minutes to a half hour. Should I send a thank you note to each attorney (there were 3 at one interview, 4 at the other) or to my original contact at the firms, a legal assistant at one and a lawyer at the other (but a lawyer who interviewed me for the screening interview, not that I met with that day)?

Gold

Re: thank you note etiquette

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:24 pm

No. Send one to the recruiter. They will distribute. If doing by email, email recruiter and only lawyers you made some kind of special connection with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:29 pm

I would send emails to those that interviewed you, on the day of the interview. If you were interviewed by more than 1 person, send an email to each person, address it to them individually.

I know a lot of people say not to send thank yous, and there is merit to that. But I do it, and if they are doing all the interviews in one day, I think the interviewers are making up their minds throughout that day. It's just a little reminder that you exist and you are courteous.

jd-mba

Bronze

Post by jd-mba » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would send emails to those that interviewed you, on the day of the interview. If you were interviewed by more than 1 person, send an email to each person, address it to them individually.

I know a lot of people say not to send thank yous, and there is merit to that. But I do it, and if they are doing all the interviews in one day, I think the interviewers are making up their minds throughout that day. It's just a little reminder that you exist and you are courteous.
Not sure why you're anonymous, but I'm with you on this one. Personalized email to every interviewer, NOT every person you meet (unless there's some reason beyond saying "thank you," e.g. question about something you guys talked about). I don't do the whole hand-written thing, unless it's a small and traditional place that seems like they will actually open the envelope instead of just throw it in the trash with the rest of the thank you notes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:25 am

--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:28 am

Do follow-up but don't do thank-yous. A generic thank-you note lacks substance and means nothing to the reader. If you had a conversation about a specific topic, I think it's appropriate to later follow-up on the topic with an article or something that is not only interesting but also was unique to your conversation. If you don't know what you can say or nothing unique comes to mind, then you should just not say anything - if you treat your notes as a formality, the reader will treat it as a formality as well.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:29 am

Different schools tell you different things about this. UVA essentially tells us that it'll be more likely to hurt than help (caveat: southern firms) and to not bother unless you feel absolutely compelled to do so.

I've never sent a thank you note, did just fine for 2L OCI.

Sm Firm Hiring P

Bronze

Post by Sm Firm Hiring P » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:24 pm

It may not matter to Biglaw but I can tell you the thank you notes are big for smaller firms. We generally will not invite someone back for a second interview without thank you notes. We want people that are really interested in us and no thank you note means not that important. I and 2 associates did all the screening interviews and we received personal thank you notes from the more impressive, mature candidates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”