Offer deadline question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Offer deadline question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:44 pm

I apologize if this has been covered ad nauseum, but the only searches I could come up with were too broad and didn't get me anywhere. I am a 1L, and I have a callback interview at a firm in a few days, but a deadline for a PI job under two weeks later. I would certainly accept this particular PI job (and have no other PI offers as of yet) if I don't get the firm job, but I'm no sure what I'll do if I am still pending at the firm when the PI deadline approaches. What's the best way of going about telling the firm that? Should I try to talk to the head of recruiting at my callback? And if so, should I wait until after or is doing it right at the beginning acceptable? Or should I just wait until after and call or email?


Posts: 20067
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Offer deadline question

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:57 pm

At one of my interviews, I arrived slightly early and the recruiting person talked to me prior to my first interview (I also talked to her more at length after the lunch interview). She casually asked me about where else I was interviewing and told her I had a PI offer that was expiring soon. She was understanding but the firm didn't make any decisions prior to the last interview (which was a couple days after my offer expired). She was really nice about it but I don't think there was anything she could do (though she did offer to get back the night of their final interview rather than the day after it). I would definitely talk to them about it (either in person or on the phone), but you might have to try and ask the PI place for more time (of course there's no guarantee you'll get more time from the PI place either).

If your PI deadline is definitely going to occur before you will hear back the firm, I think it depends. A lot of the firms I've seen so far seem to be interviewing a lot of 1L's for only a few spots, meaning holding out just for the firm is likely a bad idea since your odds aren't good. However, if you have several leads/interviews at other places (either firm or PI) then it's probably not as risky to give up on the PI place since you will likely snag something else even if the firm doesn't come through.

User avatar

Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: Offer deadline question

Postby steve_nash » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:46 pm

I'd talk to the recruiter who escorts you around at the callback after you finish interviewing. You can also email if you get ushered out without seeing the recruiter. When I did firm callbacks, they usually asked me if I had any deadlines and were good about meeting them for the most part. Firms know that you're interviewing at more than one place, so no need to feel awkward about asking. They expect it.

Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.