Do 1L summers turn into full time offers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:57 pm

The standard model seems to be that the firm you work for during your 2L summer seems to be the one giving you the offers... if you work for a firm your 1L summer, are you expected to summer again with them during your 2L year in order to get an offer? Can you 2L summer with different firms and still get an offer from your 1L firm?

kalvano

Re: Do 1L summers turn into full time offers?

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Depends on the firm. 1L SA's wouldn't typically lead to offers post-grad, but a few firms either require you to come back 2L or will make a spot available for you.

Nothing is guaranteed, but it would seem like your chances of an offer are much increased by a 1L SA position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:15 pm

I've talked to a few people at my T14, and most of the 1L SA's I've talked to from last year got offers...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've talked to a few people at my T14, and most of the 1L SA's I've talked to from last year got offers...

At most reputable firms the intention is to hire you. Some don't but they are hoping to make an offer usually.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Is this regional? I was looking at firms in Birmingham Alabama- not going there now but there was a chance I might move there for personal reasons. It seems that the system there means getting a 1l gig and then gettmg the chance to come back and split your summer as a 2l. And many of the firms had low offer rates for their 2l class.

I've still not quite figured out their system. I ended up staying in NYC so I didn't pursue it.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:50 pm

I know at least 2 students who got post-grad offers from their 1L firms, no clue whether they split their 2L summer and came back to the 1L firm at all. For one of them, I do not think there was a split because he did his 2L SA (the one I know about) in a completely different market from the 1L firm (he had also worked at the 1L firm as a paralegal pre-LS).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:32 pm

I spent my 1L summer at a V20 firm last year. This particular firm doesn't make post-grad offers after your first summer. However, the 1Ls are invited to return for the second summer for whatever length of time they choose (from a few weeks up to the full summer program). The assumption is that you will spend your summer at another firm, come back for a few weeks to the 1L firm, and then (ideally) have two post-grad offers to choose from.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:25 pm

The firm I'm summer at didn't say they give offers to 1L summers but they strongly hinted at it. Their 1L from last year will be back for his 2L summer and at least 3 of the attorneys I interviewed with spent their 1L summer at the firm. They even mentioned having a "history of permanent hiring from their summer program" in the offer letter.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:31 pm

My two T14 friends with 1L SAs had what must be unusual experiences then.

One worked for a good biglaw firm in a big city for 1L and then upgraded to a great biglaw firm in the same city, only to be cold-offered. They re-interviewed with the 1L firm, but ended up taking a position as a mediocre biglaw firm in that city.

The other friend worked for a biglaw firm as part of a split summer with a small firm in another market for 1L and was invited back for the entire summer 2L year at the biglaw firm and then no-offered at the end of the 2L summer.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:42 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:My two T14 friends with 1L SAs had what must be unusual experiences then.

One worked for a good biglaw firm in a big city for 1L and then upgraded to a great biglaw firm in the same city, only to be cold-offered. They re-interviewed with the 1L firm, but ended up taking a position as a mediocre biglaw firm in that city.

The other friend worked for a biglaw firm as part of a split summer with a small firm in another market for 1L and was invited back for the entire summer 2L year at the biglaw firm and then no-offered at the end of the 2L summer.

The first story isn't too surprising; sounds like neither firm liked the guy.

Sm Firm Hiring P

Postby Sm Firm Hiring P » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Unfortunately, it depends on the firm and the market. Some midwest firms actually prefer 1Ls and look for the long term. We always will lean to a 1L if we are confident they intend to practice in our area and like the smaller firm environment. We they graduate they really hit the ground running in our firm after those 2 summers. The students also notice our track record in permanent jobs going to summer associates which helps us receive not only a large number of resumes, but some very, very good ones. 152 resumes this year for 1 position.

Return to “Legal Employment”