Unemployed T10 2L, anyone else feel like a pariah?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unemployed T10 2L, anyone else feel like a pariah?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:13 pm

It seems like everyone at my DCNG has a summer associate position, save for a few people, and I was wondering, obviously the worst aspect of not having one for most of us in that position is the possible inability to pay off debt, dimmed career prospects, not getting paid at all 2L summer etc, but has anyone in this position felt like a bit of a pariah, and been less social, in order to avoid getting asked about their summer plans, and just feeling uncomfortable when everyone else around you has a job? I can't be the only one who feels a bit depressed about all of this. Any thoughts from those in my position or even those not in that position would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Unemployed T10 2L, anyone else feel like a pariah?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Will most likely be in your position. Currently 1L at a T14. What grades did you end up with, and how are you coping with it?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:19 pm

You are the same poster.

sjedood

Postby sjedood » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:58 pm

MrAnon wrote:You are the same poster.

That would be funny if it were true. But, how do you know?

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm in the same boat, and I've felt the same way for a couple months now. It's depressing, but on the flip side, I think I have had more fun not talking to law students.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will most likely be in your position. Currently 1L at a T14. What grades did you end up with, and how are you coping with it?

This is a great way to make that a self-fulfilling prophesy. There is no reason to resign yourself to your fate. It's especially retarded before all your 1L grades are set in stone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:03 pm

I am networking like CRAZY and brought my grades up. Hopefully, that will help.

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm power-screwed myself. And I mean POWER-screwed. As far as your question, I DO feel like a pariah. I made some big mistakes, and law school was one of 'em. What am I gonna do 'bout it, some of the big kids on this board ask. You know, the ones with the grins and frizzy hair that think they are going to get the jobs. Ha! Just wait, there's gonna be a whole lotta people out there just like you. A lot of people grumblin' and whining, gnashin' teeth, hissin' moanin, and makin' a whole big ruCkus. That's what's comin'.

I am going to hang a shingle I decided. Oh yeah, hangin' and bangin' with mah hammer, waiting for dem clients to roll on by with their fiddy wads o' cash slippin' slappin'. Oh baby, let's get it on!

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:I'm power-screwed myself. And I mean POWER-screwed. As far as your question, I DO feel like a pariah. I made some big mistakes, and law school was one of 'em. What am I gonna do 'bout it, some of the big kids on this board ask. You know, the ones with the grins and frizzy hair that think they are going to get the jobs. Ha! Just wait, there's gonna be a whole lotta people out there just like you. A lot of people grumblin' and whining, gnashin' teeth, hissin' moanin, and makin' a whole big ruCkus. That's what's comin'.

I am going to hang a shingle I decided. Oh yeah, hangin' and bangin' with mah hammer, waiting for dem clients to roll on by with their fiddy wads o' cash slippin' slappin'. Oh baby, let's get it on!

lol

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:I'm power-screwed myself. And I mean POWER-screwed. As far as your question, I DO feel like a pariah. I made some big mistakes, and law school was one of 'em. What am I gonna do 'bout it, some of the big kids on this board ask. You know, the ones with the grins and frizzy hair that think they are going to get the jobs. Ha! Just wait, there's gonna be a whole lotta people out there just like you. A lot of people grumblin' and whining, gnashin' teeth, hissin' moanin, and makin' a whole big ruCkus. That's what's comin'.

wut

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:24 pm

It sucks, but you gotta stay positive... The one thing worse than a jobless 2L is a jobless 2L who has a woe-be-me attitude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:35 pm

You can always volunteer if you want to not feel like a "pariah" and help out. Looks good on a resume, good experience (if in an applicable area such as a probono legal clinic) and will increase odds of getting a paid externship next time you apply.

furcifer

Postby furcifer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:36 pm

After all the smack talk about the T4s out there, a T1 can't find work....... :lol: :cry: :lol:

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Dude I know this is tough but you have to work on your attitude. Don't feel ashamed of yourself because the job market sucks. You have seen the employment figures for lawyers, right? We've established that lots of people don't get jobs from OCI or in 2L because of the job market, not because there is something wrong with them personally. And don't let your job define your worth - ever. Keep your head up.

Yes, you are having problems with employment right now, but you will get through it. Keep at it.

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:53 pm

sunynp wrote: don't let your job define your worth - ever.

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After all the smack talk about the T4s out there, a T1 can't find work....... :lol: :cry: :lol:

Dislike

dood

Postby dood » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Pato_09 wrote:
sunynp wrote: don't let your job define your worth - ever.

yea dogg, just be cool, keep head up. everybody knows its not due to some fault of urs.

handsonthewheel

Postby handsonthewheel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 pm

This is the flip-side of the attitude that some 2L's with SA's display.

One of the things that I've observed in moving from a lower T1 to a T14 is the stock that people place in their "resume." It's a skewed and messed-up way to self-evaluate and interact, but it's something that happens to a degree from what I've observed.

I can understand feeling deflated or depressed in the job search, but don't feel like you have any reason to feel lesser than the other students. Beyond the search sucking, if someone asks just say you are still looking. Don't let the attitude that seems somewhat prevalent among this community of law students affect you, it's ridiculous.

Good luck, keep your head up and things will be fine. Don't let this shit mess with your identity or self-worth.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:08 pm

If you meet a recruiter at a reception, talk about life and the law, do they actually end up offering employment? Don't you basically just take their business cards, thank them via email or a letter, and then hope they give you something?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Metaread wrote:If you meet a recruiter at a reception, talk about life and the law, do they actually end up offering employment? Don't you basically just take their business cards, thank them via email or a letter, and then hope they give you something?

If you are just awful at networking, then yes.

If you are good at networking, you follow up with questions, and (if they are a lawyer) try to keep in contact by having coffee and stuff like that once in a while. Update them with stuff regularly, ask for their advice, etc. Find ways to stay on their radar. You don't just "hope they give you something."

handsonthewheel

Postby handsonthewheel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Metaread wrote:If you meet a recruiter at a reception, talk about life and the law, do they actually end up offering employment? Don't you basically just take their business cards, thank them via email or a letter, and then hope they give you something?

If you are just awful at networking, then yes.

If you are good at networking, you follow up with questions, and (if they are a lawyer) try to keep in contact by having coffee and stuff like that once in a while. Update them with stuff regularly, ask for their advice, etc. Find ways to stay on their radar. You don't just "hope they give you something."

I agree with this.

To go further, I think the basic point is that you have to make them like you as a human being. If they view you as someone they know and like, as opposed to a desperate law student that is "networking," I can only assume they'll be more likely to think of you when an opportunity comes up or when you have something you can concretely ask for.

To be fair, I don't entirely know how to do this at organized events through school, I think it takes real involvement in out-of-school professional events to create this kind of rapport with someone.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Well, down here in the lowly T-30's, only about half of my friends have anything lined up, and only one in ten have a biglaw SA. You should come hang out with us if you are feeling too down.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Cupidity wrote:only one in ten have a biglaw SA.

Wait, what? Are you defining biglaw narrowly (like V100) or are your friends just unemployed at a higher rate than the school as a whole?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:05 pm

OP here, had a really crappy first semester of 1l due to a wide rang of personal problems going on, especially with the home life, so was way below median first semester, and was only able to hit median second semester, resulting in a GPA that is just barely enough to be able to put on a resume. My grades are a huge reason on top of the job market being down in general, although I guess on the upside, after getting feed back from many of my interviewers including my interviewers from my callbacks, was told I interview really well and that either it was case of just not being able to get my grades past the hiring committee because of minimum floors on GPA or a case of the summer associate class being smaller than in past years and was told they would have loved to have had me if their class size was bigger as in previous years. I definitely understand that I am at fault for my current situation, trust me, not asking for sympathy nor do I feel entitled to a summer associate position with my grades, whether I was at a T30, T10, Tier 2, or HYS level school, but more about the feeling of social stigma with not having a summer position or government or anything really at a time where it seems everyone in my school is killing it with jobs and seems to operate under the assumption at all school/social events that everyone else has a job as well. I've tried hard not to let my situation define my self-worth but there are times where I just kind of feel other law students have definitely looked down on me as if I'm worthless because of my lack of a summer associate position. Thanks to those who said to keep my head up, I appreciate it, I'll definitely try to do that. And Cupidity, seriously, if I could I would for sure haha

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:12 pm

Never. Stop. Networking.

Shake every hand you can. Apply to every job out there. There is only one thing that is certain right now: if you give up, nothing will happen.

Return to “Legal Employment”