Selecting Bar Review Courses Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gittar03

New

Selecting Bar Review Courses

Post by gittar03 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:45 am

Hello all,

First of all, if you're reading this post, you're more than likely in the same boat as myself - the last semester of law school. Congratulations to all of you who hung in there! Good luck to everyone on passing your respective bar exams!

Anyway, I wanted to open up the discussion to your thoughts on studying for the bar exam on a budget. I wanted to know if anyone is planning on studying for the bar on their own? And if you are going to be enrolling in a course other than BARBRI or Kaplan, what programs are you considering? I have been looking into AmeriBar and Themis. Both have money-back guarantees and are significantly more affordable than their well-known counterparts.

Thank you all.

Anonymous User

Re: Selecting Bar Review Courses

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:39 pm

I took the bar in the summer of 2010, and I went to a law school where pretty much everyone passes the bar on the first try. I promise I'm not a BARBRI rep, but for what it's worth, the only people I know who failed the bar the first time had taken a course other than BARBRI (namely, Kaplan or Pieper). Of course there were plenty of people who took Kaplan or Pieper and did pass and if the difference in price is great, I can certainly see the appeal; I'm only saying that in my group of law school friends and acquaintances, the only ones I know to have failed did not take BARBRI.

I would not be swayed by money-back guarantees. If you fail the bar, paying for the course again is the least of your complaints.

Anonymous User

Re: Selecting Bar Review Courses

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:54 pm

3L at Fordham. Of all my friends who took the bar last year (a sample size of about 15), 3 took Kaplan, and 2 of them failed. All my other friends took BarBri and all passed.

Not a rep, but it just seems like a no brainer to take BarBri.

Return to “Legal Employment”