Getting a late start... what are my odds?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Getting a late start... what are my odds?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm a 1L. I have yet to apply for any summer positions (my own fault, juggling school and some personal shit has put me behind). I plan on sending out a ton of apps on Wednesday, 02/15. I'm interested in doing PI work over the summer. I'm median at a lower t1. How screwed am I? Do I have a chance of landing anything? Thanks.

Re: Getting a late start... what are my odds?

Postby Sandro » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:37 pm

I'm probably about to be in the same boat :(

Postby FlanAl » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:51 pm

I started applying last week. I thought I had something but it didn't work out and it made me way too lazy with applying to stuff. My guess is places that have a deadline that hasn't passed yet we might be ok but we're probably screwed for all of the rolling application stuff. also thinking that the newer postings on pslawnet might be solid since most people I know already have something lined up and won't be applying to anything else.

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:12 am

My personal opinion (in that a ton of my interview requests have come in the last 2 weeks) is that you aren't screwed at all. This is the time when a lot of places are starting to dig through their applications so the fact that you're doing it now instead of a month from now is good. Obviously the places with deadlines that have passed (e.g. DoJ/USAO) are out but a lot of stuff hasn't (especially smaller PI orgs and state/local gov stuff).

Just apply broadly to as much stuff as you can. And of course, as a list ditch effort, you can always ask to RA.

Return to “Legal Employment”