USAO, prestige/district???

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ahem

USAO, prestige/district???

Postby ahem » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:41 pm

For a 1L summer internship, is this generally regarded as prestigious no matter what the district? Obviously SDNY or EDNY is extra good, but would this same internship in Arizona be considered not prestigious? Only asking because I think I have a 1L internship in the Arizona district and am trying to decide if it's worth uprooting myself for the summer. Thanks in advance.

Detrox

Re: USAO, prestige/district???

Postby Detrox » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:43 pm

As is repeated 1000x times on this board: 1L summer work is rarely "prestigious" and it solely matters that you are doing something legal in nature that you can talk about in an interview.

USAO will look strong, regardless of location, and you will be able to talk about your work for firms or government jobs in OCI. It will not be significantly helpful to do USAO vs. some other gov't or PI work, so if you really don't want to go to Arizona, just find something local that is legal in nature and halfway interesting.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Please stop chasing prestige. Seriously. The aim of a 1L job should be to get legal experience that will (a) help you figure out what you want to do and (b) give you something substantive to talk about on the interviews for your next job.

Also, in my experience, the more "prestigious" sounding a 1L job is, the less you are likely to be doing anything meaningful. There are, of course, exceptions. But as a 1L you don't know anything and the higher the stakes are, the less likely it is that your work will be anything more than backstopping someone else's.

Also, you really should try to find another measure of success than prestige. Pretty much no matter what you do in life, there will have been more prestigious options. Hopefully you will have things to go home to that will make whatever you do at work not seem that important in the big picture. Striving gets very tiring after awhile. I've found the happiest people are the ones that learned early on to be utilitarian about their work.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:33 pm

When people like u get internships this sweet and then sit around worrying about if they are prestigious enough it makes me want to beat my head against a wall. Thanks.

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:57 pm

interesting - one of the very few posts that ask so bluntly about the prestige of a position.

when I got a 'prestigious sounding' internship I felt happy not because it was 'prestigious' - but because of the thought that it might serve as a springboard to something else.

prestige is really empty.

ahem

Postby ahem » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:18 pm

I understand what you guys are saying, but take it easy. This is the TOP law schools forum, remember? sometimes it's hard not to get caught up in all this stuff. Nonetheless, thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Legal Employment”