Writing sample question - put grade in cover sheet?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anomaly

Writing sample question - put grade in cover sheet?

Postby Anomaly » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:02 pm

My LARW class is year-long so we don't get letter grades until the end of the year. But we do get raw scores and the professor shares the mean/medians for each assignment.

So here's my question: on a writing sample cover sheet, is it appropriate to say what the mean/median is and then say "I received xx/100".

I saw a cover sheet that had the person's grade for the class, and another sheet that didn't have a grade. But I think if I worked for a firm and was reading a student writing sample from an in-class assignment, I'd be curious what their grade was.

Thanks for your help.

NoleinNY

Re: Writing sample question - put grade in cover sheet?

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Anomaly wrote:My LARW class is year-long so we don't get letter grades until the end of the year. But we do get raw scores and the professor shares the mean/medians for each assignment.

So here's my question: on a writing sample cover sheet, is it appropriate to say what the mean/median is and then say "I received xx/100".

I saw a cover sheet that had the person's grade for the class, and another sheet that didn't have a grade. But I think if I worked for a firm and was reading a student writing sample from an in-class assignment, I'd be curious what their grade was.

Thanks for your help.

Personally, I'd put it on only if it were a fairly high grade.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:47 pm

I wouldn't put it on at all; let them assess the quality for themselves. That's just me.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Anomaly wrote:My LARW class is year-long so we don't get letter grades until the end of the year. But we do get raw scores and the professor shares the mean/medians for each assignment.

Thanks for your help.

Don't do it. Let the work speak for itself.

To the bolded, why?

I read writing samples to assess the writer's ability. I don't care in the slightest what their LWR prof thought of the work. About the only thing that putting the grade on your paper will tell me is what the overall quality of work in your class was. If I think your paper was bad and it got an A, it doesn't do anything other than tell me that the writers in your section were even worse than you, or that your LWR prof has a different view about what makes a good paper than I do. Neither piece of information will help you get the job.

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:32 pm

TooOld4This wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Don't do it. Let the work speak for itself.

To the bolded, why?

I read writing samples to assess the writer's ability. I don't care in the slightest what their LWR prof thought of the work. About the only thing that putting the grade on your paper will tell me is what the overall quality of work in your class was. If I think your paper was bad and it got an A, it doesn't do anything other than tell me that the writers in your section were even worse than you, or that your LWR prof has a different view about what makes a good paper than I do. Neither piece of information will help you get the job.

This. I was fortunate to have a more generous curve in my writing course than others in my section. The sad reality is that a class's curve can be and often is affected by, e.g., one person failing the course. Let your writing "speak" for itself. Besides, assuming that your employer will be requesting an unofficial transcript, they'll be able to see what you made in the course.

Anomaly

Postby Anomaly » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:53 pm

I already sent it w/ score this morning. Oh well. Next time I'll leave it off. Thanks for your opinions.

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Anomaly wrote:I already sent it w/ score this morning. Oh well. Next time I'll leave it off. Thanks for your opinions.

If it was a high grade relative to the median, I'm sure it was no harm done. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”