Do I have to shave for an 1L summer interview with a judge?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do I have to shave for an 1L summer interview with a judge?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:00 am

I walk around with a short beard (pic below for comparison) mostly because shaving every day is a pain. I trim the neck every week, of course, but I've got a longer-than-stubble situation going on. I'm sure I look better this way. Is it acceptable for me to go to a job interview looking like this? I got a 4.17 GPA first semester so I might even benefit from not looking nerdy. On the other hand, two women will be interviewing me...and frankly women just don't understand the joy of having a beard.

Thoughts?

--ImageRemoved--

California Babe

Re: Do I have to shave for an 1L summer interview with a judge?

Postby California Babe » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:37 am

Since you have a really great reason to risk the chance that your interviewers will get annoyed that you didn't shave for your interview, I say keep it. Most people don't have a really great reason to take such a completely unnecessary risk, even when the risk is small.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:44 am

hahahaha - i love this

superhands

Postby superhands » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:07 am

So you have a 4.17 GPA and you look like Justin Timberlake?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:20 pm

superhands wrote:So you have a 4.17 GPA and you look like Justin Timberlake?

Neh. I'm like a 3/10; my chin is a weird shape and I have bad teeth. The beard also doubles as making my mild acne less noticeable. The picture is for the beard's length.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Just shave your balls. Tell them you made an effort in one area.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote: On the other hand, two women will be interviewing me...and frankly women just don't understand the joy of having a beard.

I see you haven't met Beezy yet.

Anyway, I would shave it.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:31 pm

The odds of getting dinged for looking nerdy/looking young are much lower, IMO, than the odds of getting dinged for looking sloppy/like you don't care

samsonyte16

Postby samsonyte16 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:33 pm

Yeah, you have to be clean shaven. No question.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:05 pm

People will overlook your GPA if you don't shave.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Simple solution: Ask him about the dress code. If in doubt, shave.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:10 pm

In the time it took you to write this post and read your responses, you could have shaved already. Why give someone a reason to doubt your judgment? Best to look your best in an interview - so shave already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:14 pm

I have a medical condition such that shaving causes permanent, irreversible damage to my skin. Any other day, I'd just use a beard trimmer. I'd still never consider going to an interview without being clean-shaven. It's that bloody important to not look like an unwashed hobo during your first impression.

Sandrew

Postby Sandrew » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Don't shave. Wearing a beard is a useful mechanism for screening against employers with antiquated views of what professionalism requires.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Sandrew wrote:Don't shave. Wearing a beard is a useful mechanism for screening against employers with antiquated views of what professionalism requires.

So you mean like the majority of the United States judicial system? Good call.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I walk around with a short beard (pic below for comparison) mostly because shaving every day is a pain. I trim the neck every week, of course, but I've got a longer-than-stubble situation going on. I'm sure I look better this way. Is it acceptable for me to go to a job interview looking like this? I got a 4.17 GPA first semester so I might even benefit from not looking nerdy. On the other hand, two women will be interviewing me...and frankly women just don't understand the joy of having a beard.

Thoughts?

--ImageRemoved--

As a beard fan myself, IMO "Beards grow bank. Opportunities don't."

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:08 pm

I feel like answering this question would interfere with some form of law school Darwinism.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:49 pm

It's that bloody important to not look like an unwashed hobo during your first impression.

It's not clean shaven vs. being a hobo. Having clean, neat, and well-trimmed facial hair is perfectly fine. I had it when I interviewed and I have it now as an associate. I got 10+ offers by the way.

So people in this thread should kindly shut the fuck up and stop acting like a bunch of aspie law student shitheads. Jesus christ.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm like 90% sure I'm not going to shave. I'll trim to a uniform "3" with my electric razor and do my neck and cheeks with a real razor. If I don't get this internship it's whatev's; I'd prefer a paid internship anyway.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:35 pm

i thought you'd get more joy from securing a summer job than from having a short beard. if it really is that short, it will just grow back quickly anyway.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It's that bloody important to not look like an unwashed hobo during your first impression.

It's not clean shaven vs. being a hobo. Having clean, neat, and well-trimmed facial hair is perfectly fine. I had it when I interviewed and I have it now as an associate. I got 10+ offers by the way.

So people in this thread should kindly shut the fuck up and stop acting like a bunch of aspie law student shitheads. Jesus christ.

Cause this post wasn't aspie at all.

Postby 071816 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:41 pm

I'd recommend the following look:

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:52 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Shh. Captain Ten-Plus Offers is rather sensitive when it comes to his beard. He might get violent. And clearly nobody else has a cogent opinion about what is or is not acceptable in conservative social circles. Did I mention that he got 10+ offers? That's at least one more than 9+

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Nothing about the picture of The Timberlake's facial hair is appropriate for an interview. Either have a real, neatly-trimmed beard, or shave. None of this in-between sloppy crap. That's not a beard, it's just pure fuckery and laziness.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:53 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Shh. Captain Ten-Plus Offers is rather sensitive when it comes to his beard. He might get violent. And clearly nobody else has a cogent opinion about what is or is not acceptable in conservative social circles. Did I mention that he got 10+ offers? That's at least one more than 9+

Anyone else can have a cogent opinion about that, but there's no cogency in the opinion that having facial hair hurts someone in biglaw or any other law-related interview. There is some cogency in the opinion of not having really poorly kept facial hair. But well trimmed and shaped facial hair? You're out of your mind.

Wasn't trying to brag about my offers (though clearly YOU seem sensitive about that since you felt the need to emphasize it). Was just trying to give an example of how it clearly didn't hurt me to have facial hair.

Return to “Legal Employment”